• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Driving lights on rubber bumpered mgb

rampant

Has anyone out there mounted driving lights directly on a rubber bumper, looking for ideas on mounting,either directly or on badge bar modified.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Many moons ago, before the RBB's we considered "collectable" and preserved, I helped a friend cut out openings under the turn signals for fog lights. They looked great and were very functional.

I wouldn't reccommend the hack job we did, but with the new small projection lights they have now, I bet something could be done along those lines. Just be prepared to be criticized by the purists! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I've seen some that hang underneath the bumper with the LE style valence and it looks pretty good. Not sure how they are held there though.

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
April%202004%20074a.jpg
Here are mine, I used to have a very small oval pair form advance auto that i drilled tiny holes in my front valance to mount and they were right under my bumper. They looked pretty good, but were almost useless because they were so cheeply made.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Mine are in the same place as Adam's, only rectangular and amber. Were there when I got the car a few months ago. ((see attachment))

I pretty much hate them and they're coming off this spring. I don't particularly hate the driving lights, I just hate these amber ones on my car. Not sure I'll replace them though.

Attachments

• 98703-B002.jpg
    98703-B002.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 582

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, I've wondered about that. Haven't really looked closely to see if I can just switch out the lenses. I would definitely prefer clear lenses or the smaller(clear) round lights. Which you think would look better?

Bret

Yoda
I’ve got a "Special Tuning" front spoiler that I hope to mount later this summer. Probably going to coordinate that around the same time (finances permitting) I have the car re-painted or at least the scratches taken care of.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for a set of older 3” round fog or driving lights to tuck up in the opening. Kind of like the ones you see on MGT series cars. I really like the look of the vintage “amber” colored driving lights, but don’t know how well they’ll fit once the spoiler is fitted.

I just dread the idea of hanging a couple of lights off the bottom of my bumper.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
You could probably change the lenses if you wanted a different color, but fog and driving lights have a different pattern that is determined by the shape of the lamp. So it really depends on what you want the light to do.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You could probably change the lenses if you wanted a different color, but fog and driving lights have a different pattern that is determined by the shape of the lamp. So it really depends on what you want the light to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a wench, not a wrench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif I just want them to look 'good,' functionality is a second. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
So it really depends on what you want the light to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want it to look cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know that sounds kind of pretentious putting cosmetics above function, but all I really want is for it to look nice & period accurate (note: not necessarily original showroom stock). As I detest those annoying little high intensity (blue hue) lights on an older nice car. Just don’t look right to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

But while the functionality isn’t a priority, if I had to chose. I’d go with the fog lights, as they’d see the most use in this part of Southern California. We get that marine layer fog some mornings that is down right soupy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I want it to look cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know that sounds kind of pretentious putting cosmetics above function, but all I really want is for it to look nice & period accurate (note: not necessarily original showroom stock). As I detest those annoying little high intensity (blue hue) lights on an older nice car. Just don’t look right to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Bret I absolutely, totally, unequivocably agree.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Honestly, I have switched my lights on once, to see if they work. So I'm about cosmetics.

Sooooooo. Do I keep the amber rectangular, switch to clear retangular, go with clear round, or ditch the lights all together?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Went out with the dig and took a couple pictures. My lights are mounted below the bumper. (see attachment)

Attachments

• 98733-foglights004.jpg
    98733-foglights004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 257

Bret

Yoda
I always liked the amber look best.

I had a 67 Barracuda with amber turn signal lights that kind of looks like fog lights. Always thougth it had more of a classic look.

$0.02
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
LOL! You guys are funny. I really don't know what to tell you to do, I have driving lights on my Land Rover which I use all the time and will burn the retinias of anyone I happen upon. LOL! For my MG, eventually, I want to put one Lucas driving light and one lucas Fog light which would have been period correct, look great, but also funtional for my car.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I have driving lights on my Land Rover which I use all the time and will burn the retinias of anyone I happen upon. LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

So your that guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, nobody said anything about NOT having them functional. To the contrary – I only want a set of older 60’s or 70’s style driving/fog lights for my 78B too as I think the more modern ones the Ricky racer (ricer) crowd use – would really look stupid on an MGB.

In my book that’s a kin to putting a set of fuzzy dice & “Pepboys” bumper stickera on a one of the old Supercharged Bentleys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

That said – I ain’t kidding myself, as I am looking for a certain look. Besides she isn’t my daily driver & I hardly ever take the old gal out in foul weather – unless I am caught by surprise while I’m out & about.

For the bad “soup like stuff” - I have a 2001 F150 4x4 is my daily driver that is equipped with a nice set of fog lamps. Truth is they hardly ever get used either.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
LOL! Yeah, that's me. On the Rover I have Hella 4000's with 100w bulbs. They turn night into day. But I do try to be REAL careful with them. But if someone refused to dim their brights, I figure they are fair game! lol! I think the round lucas lights would be correct for a CB MG. On a RB, I think square lights would look best. Check out Hella 500's. They are available at most car part stores. Very nice lights.