• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

delco alternator conversions

piman

Darth Vader
Hello MGBmedic,
I hope that you do not plan to use all that current, because without modification, you may overload the cables from the alternator to the starter solenoid.

Alec

V

vagt6

Also, please be advised that the GM Delco conversion, although a good one, gives you a much bigger alternator on the side of your engine that doesn't look right, IMHO.

It's MUCH larger than the Lucas alternator, and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd use the Isuzu Trooper alternator, or a Nippon Denso that's much smaller, better looking, and just as good as the GM.

I hope this is helpful, good luck!

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I did the Bosch Conversion. Just remember that putting all that extra power through a harness that wasn't designed to handle it can 'let out the smoke'. If you upgrade your alt. make sure your harness is new or at a minimum, clean every lucular connection. Dirt and grime can cause resistance and heat, and may 'let out the smoke'. Once it's out, it's hard to get back in.

Bret

Yoda
Ok I think this is a good time to go over some basic electronics.

For those of you that aren’t in the know - there is something called Ohms law, that folks need to keep in mind when talking about DC current circuits. In a nut shell Ohms law concerns the following – current, voltage & load. And yes – the conductor (wiring) used to connect that circuit and allow it to work.

Simply put Ohms law is as follows: I = E/R

Whereas: E = Voltage (V), I = Current (A or Amperes) and R = Resistance (load).

Now in our case voltage (E) is of course the product (electromotive force) generated by the alternator and/or stored in the battery. Whereas resistance is a product or sum of the various loads (accessories like the lamps, stereo, fans etc.) put across or in a closed circuit (switch on).

So if the voltage output (say 12V to 14V) stays the same and the resistance remains the same – current will never change either – that is the law. All an up-rated alternator is going to do is increase the amount of load your car can handle. So assuming that your car’s harness is in reasonable shape and not falling apart or corroded, you shouldn’t have any problems with installing an up-rated alternator all things being equal.

With a steady voltage – current will “only” increase as you increase load by turning on accessories. So to be safe remember to add extra wiring & protective fusing for any additional accessories (amps & speakers, CD changers etc.) you might want to install. . It is foolish to add modern electronics and tap into old circuits fused or not. When I installed a new CD Stereo I ran a separate independently fused wire live (+12V) back to the battery terminal.

Now where many people get themselves into trouble when installing an up rated alternator capable of higher currents, is with a wiring harness that isn’t up to par. Old corroded connectors & such translate into more resistance or load – thus putting more of a stain on the wiring. I mean if you’re car’s alternator is having problems keeping the battery charged or yours existing accessories don’t run quite right (dim headlights etc.) Then I would recommend fixing that situation first before you upgrade your alternator. In fact it would probably be a good idea to go over your wiring harness & connections anyway before you opt to upgrade the alternator.

Otherwise you will start popping fuses or worst – start melting your wiring harness insulation & smoking components.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Free advice like that (and others) on this Forum is worth a heck of a lot more than 2 cents...VERY well put Bret! Thanks

Bruce

OP
mgbmedic

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
very good advice, thankyou bret. hey, bruce 74b...i was born in harrisburg, pa haven't seen the place in several years.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
very good advice, thankyou bret. hey, bruce 74b...i was born in harrisburg, pa haven't seen the place in several years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, you probably wouldn't recognize the downtown...lots of new places to go at night. Come visit the new National Civil War Museum! I would like to get to KY Lake to visit an old fishing buddy who sold his funeral business to buy a resort there...another darn Yankee LOL

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif