• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Correct sealant for windshield replacement

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Hello all
In taking the advice to use a bead of sealant on the windscreen to gasket and the frame to gasket surfaces, I went by the local glass shop and picked up a tube of black urethane sealant.
Is this the right stuff to use?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Norton, I have never used sealant. But if you do, I would go with that very sparingly.

Pat

This14u

Not to steal the thread, but-

I recently removed the windshield from my 1980 Spit and have a couple of questions.

1. There was sealant (dumdum) between the weather strip and the sheetmetal frame that appears original. I know my 75 TR-6 had no sealer in this area. Do I need to seal this area?

2. The weatherstrip for the windshield is a one piece affair. It doesn't have a channel for the chrome finishing strips. All I see available from the major suppliers are the type that take the finishers. Is there a source for the correct weatherstrip?

Thanks,
Bob

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
i had those same questions, my tr6 windshield seal is leaking in hard rain and i need to replace the seal. there is dum dum back there that is falling apart and i dont have a chrome strip on the windshield.....
randy

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Well this has driven me to do research.
TRF is where I first read about using a sealant. Research has shown that a 3M 8509 product is what should be used.
This is a non hardening product.
I was informed that a urethane product is normally used to glue in new model car windscreens and is what not to use.

A Mustang site provided these words of wisdom: Whenever you’re installing classic Mustang window glass, it’s important to remember to use the correct sealer. Because classic Mustangs have window grommets or gaskets, they use a different type of sealer from the sealer used on late-models. Because gasket-type windshields and backlites are becoming very old news, a lot of windshield shops don’t carry butyl sealers anymore. They use 3M’s Windo-Weld—sometimes in error—on classic Mustang windshields. Problem is, Windo-Weld is an adhesive and is used for gluing glue-in windshields into place, so it has no place on gasket-type windshields. Windshield adhesives make the windshield virtually impossible to remove, should it ever need replacement in the future.

Remember, always use a butyl (rubber/petroleum-based) flexible sealer on your classic Mustang windshields and backlites. If your windshield shop suggests gluing in your windshield instead of using the rubber gasket, find another windshield shop.

As the TR6 windscreens is using a H lock gasket this all seems to make sense to me. So I an off to get a tube of 3M-8509.
FWIW

This14u

Norton,

I have a box of 3M Ribbon Sealer-Auto Glass Replacement Kit (#08612) in my garage that seems to be similar/identical to the sealant I scraped off the Spit. It was a stocked item at the local parts store, Advance Auto-I think.

Bob

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Bob and all
I pick up a tube of the 3M 8509 and then did a search on this forum. Seems most of the opinions run to no sealant.
SO, I'll think about it.
Thanks

bruno70

Freshman Member
Thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I work at Toyota and we use urethane to seal and secure the windshields, etc, in all the new vehicles and I agree with the others, once it sets up it is almost impossible to get the windshield back out!!!! I would definitely discourage the use if you think you may ever need to change it. We use a piece of wire and one person on the inside and one on the outside and use a sawing motion to cut the urethane once it sets if we need to replace one. It is a difficult and time consuming task.

dklawson

Yoda
I have used 3M products with a pump applicator (like a mini oil injector pump) to seal windshields. Never again. This was still for a rubber (non-urethane) product, but it was way too messy and it stained the white paint on my GT6. Subsequent to that experience I discovered that Permatex makes a product called "Flowable Windshield Sealant". It's a VERY SOFT silicone rubber that is easily removed later and thin enough to wick into crevices.

I agree that in general most LBC windshield gaskets shouldn't need the sealants but when you find you have a small leak where you want to add sealant, consider the Permatex product. Again... it's NOT regular RTV, it's an excellent easily applied and removed non-hardening product.

See:
https://www.permatex.com/products/automot...lass_Sealer.htm