• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Child Booster Seats

cyurasko

Freshman Member
Has anyone installed booster seats in their cars for taking the kids for a ride in their TR? I want to take my 4 year old out for a spin now that the weather is getting nice and don't want to break the law. I have four way shoulder harnesses.

As a side note, when I was her age my father would strap my older brother and me into the same seat, belt us in and go for a ride.

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nice car! I use a booster seat (like this one: https://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1774834) in my TR4A. I have installed a static three point harness, and it seems to work pretty well. My youngest turns 5 this May, and she fit just fine last summer. My oldest turns 9, also in May, and I let her ride without a booster last year, as the seat belt fit her better without the booster. I have limited my trips with the kids to around town, but I don't imagine that the booster seats really add much additional protection, in cars of this vintage.

OP
cyurasko

cyurasko

Freshman Member
Ian, I agree that the boosters don't add much, but we have to comply with the laws. Thanks for the advice!

silver7

rockburnpub2011171.jpg

You can see the top part of my old booster child seat in this pic , I bring the kids with me everywhere , especially the shows..... my 16 year old has vivid memories of most of the events and still enjoys coming with her old man ....
My only trouble now is that I have to choose between the three of them , so we rotate each year who goes where !

Now that my youngest is 7, I presently use this model of seat .....

0466045_1

Since my son is still small, the booster keep the shoulder belt in the right position, and as you sit very low in a TR7, he gets a better view outside !

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've taken a 1-1/2 to 2 year old for a ride with just his car seat. I used the lap belt through the carrier just like I would in any car and the car seat has its own harness. For a booster seat I think you'd be just fine with the four point harness, remembering, of course, that the rest of the modern safety features are lacking. I took my toddler around city streets and even a couple of times on 10 minute freeway drives to Grandma and Grandpa's house. I think he was a little young to fully appreciate the top-down joy!

M

Member 10617

The Virginia Child Restraint Device Law(Code of Virginia Article 13 -SEction 46.2) says: "The law applies to anyone (i.e. parents, grandparents, babysiters, friends) who provides transportation for a child in any vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968." So, although it is a good idea to use a restraint device, it appears that it is not required on these older LBCs.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ah, the practical family car.

I recall many moons ago walking through a local mall parking lot and seeing a young couple with two little kids.

First, they loaded one of the kids into a child seat in the convertible TR8 that the wife was driving.

Then they loaded the other kid into a child seat in the Pantera that the husband was driving.

Then they all roared off.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
In the vein of "Boy were things different then", my parents had a 57 Corvette that we'd occasionally take family drives in (all 5 of us). My sister and I squeezed between them on the center console and my very little brother in my Mom's arms (the Mom seatbelt).

Scott

PeterK

Yoda
Check your local laws. Boosters are required here for ALL kids under a certain age (might be 12) regardless of the vehicle. Front seating is also restricted from younger kids as well.

M

Member 10617

Looks like the law is different in different states. As I posted earlier, in Virginia... it applies "in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968.

also... "In the event the vehicle does not have a back seat, the child restraint device may be placed in the front passenger seat only if the vehicle is either not equipped with a passenger side airbag or the passenger side airbag has been deactivated."

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i installed the "latch" system from a SAAB 93 (aftermarket brackets) at all the seatbelt hardpoints and a full size child seat fits fine but it does lean on the door slightly. the only thing i had to do to the child seat was grind down the plastic convering on the locking clips because they were hard to get on to the loops.

DSC03346.jpg