• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can tubeless tires be mounted on spoked rims????

Hooper11772

Hey everyone,
I have my rims and some tires I traded with Chris S at a local tire shop and they said that the tubeless tires couldn't be mounted on spoked rims.! Does this sound correct. If so what type of tires do you order for this application. They're telling me the only thing available are trailor tires. Does this sound correct. I have a 68 midget and any reply's would be great as my tires are currently at the shop awaiting a decision. Thanks!

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Find a different tire shop. Put tubes in the tires. Make sure the tubes are for radial tires. Dust with talcum powder before installation. Been doing it for years (decades actually) on my MGBs.
Trailer tires are NOT suitable for a passenger car.
Bruce

OP
Hooper11772

Hooper11772

Thanks bcliff, Thats what i've been reading but the tire shop refuses to mount them. They say no tubes are rated for radial tubeless tires and it's illegal for them to mount them as the friction could cause a blowout and they would be held liable. I guess i'll search around for a place that will do this if you think it's safe. I could always do a steel wheel conversion as well but i'd rather not I really like the look of the wires.

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Hello bcliff:

I have new tires with tubes on spoked wheels on BE. Neat thing is, the tires keep proper pressure and don't have slow leaks like even "modern" cars do. You need tubes. It's not an option.

dave in University city, mo

dklawson

Yoda
I am faced with the same issue. Bruce gave you good advice, starting with "Find a different tire shop".

I was going to have a local shop handle the job for me but when I asked about the cost of the tubes they said "add $20 total" to their quote. A single, quality radial tube can cost that much so I knew I didn't want to go to them.

I am now considering buying my tires from (and having them installed by) Hendrix Wire Wheel.
https://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/
It won't be cheap but it will be done right.

BTW, in addition to using radial tubes and dusting with talc, the shop has to make sure to NOT leave any stickers inside the tires, they have to put a nipple guard band or tape over the spoke nipples, and they have to know how to mount the wheels properly on their balance machine. The spinner nut (both on your car and their machine) has to contact the OUTER edge of the outside of the wheel hub so it centers properly. A lot of shops used to do this wrong and I can't imagine it's gotten better over the years.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My wire wheel '69 MGB has Sumitomo HTR200s radial tires with radial tubes. Works fine.

I carefully mounted them myself using tire irons and a bead breaker(yes, with lots of talc and a new inner band).

My first street car was a wire-wheel MGA 40 years ago. Since the local garage threw up their hands when they saw it, my Dad (ever the tight-ward farmer), taught me how to do it "manually".
You have to take your time and it can be tiring, but it's cheap!

Steel wheels are easy by comparison. I'm sure I changed at least a dozen tires by hand on the racer in the last year.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
OP
Hooper11772

Hooper11772

I just called vintage tire based off Chris's suggestion(thank you) Four radial rated tubes for 155-80 R13 tires were $88.01 with shipping. Thats the best price i've seen so far. The guy I spoke with said to use heavy duty electrical or PVC tape and wrap the inside of the rim slightly overlapping the tap approx three time until all spoke heads are covered. He recommended 3M 77 series. He said not to use duck tape as it dries out and causes friction. He also said vintage tire does not use talc powder when they install suprisingly.
Have them tubes on order now so it shouldn't be long until the midget is back on it's feet. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Never had wire wheels on a car, I have had plenty on motorcycles though. Just tubes and good rim strips and you can run tube or tubeless tires. The danger with a tube in tubeless tires is on solid rims and the pressure can build up between the tube and the tire inside, but with spokes then that is not problems as there is a place for this air to leak out at the spokes. Even with solid wheels and tubeless tires you can tube it just as long as there is a hole in the tire, like a nail puncture in a sidewall. You can tube a tire with a hole like that and not have to replace the tire.