• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Burl Shift Knob[?]

Russ_S

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi - I'd like to get a burl walnut shift knob to compliment the wood dash on my BJ8, but can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where to get one?

Thanks,
Russ

OP
R

Russ_S

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Randy, I already contacted British Autowood, and they said they couldn't get the thread insert for an Austin Healey (for some reason Healeys have different threads then other British marques). I saw an old post where they did make a beautiful one for an Austin Healey, but apparently no more.

I'm surprised no one is making these; a lot of sources for fancy dash wood, but none for a matching shift knob. Maybe I should get a lathe and start a business in my basement? :confuse:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi, I sent this thread to a friend of mine who likes to make things out of wood. He made a beautiful steering wheel for his Healey. Hope he can respond to your wishes as well.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
British auto wood...by FAR the best..Most of the other stuff I see looks cheap.

He has done steering wheels and shift knobs for me custom..THE BEST

Pete

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Send him a thread insert and they will make one for you..it will be worth it

Pett

OP
R

Russ_S

Freshman Member
Country flag
Pete - I tried to get him to make me a knob under numerous scenarios, including making a knob without an insert (figured I find some way to mount it) but he said he couldn't do it. I agree his work looks great, but in the end I think it was just too much trouble to make one. This kind of puzzled me since their are a lot of BJ8's out there, and prices for these cars can approach Jag territory, so I think there would be a market for them. If it was me I'd have the inserts machined/made special if I couldn't buy them, but I guess he's doing just fine making them for Jag's only. Come to think of it, you can't argue with the fact that there's a lot more newer Jag's around then old Healeys. I'll probably have to go either custom made by a woodworker or Moss; there are bigger problems in life.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Russ_S said:
Hi - I'd like to get a burl walnut shift knob to compliment the wood dash on my BJ8, but can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where to get one?
Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ,
If you're looking for light bulb style, vs the style Moss sells, look on Ebay.
I scored a walnut, light bulb style, Healey crested knob on Ebay. It said it was for a 100-4. I taped it to fit the BJ8 thread.

It just so happens the same one, from the same seller, has another one on Ebay for sale right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Austin-Heal...#ht_1113wt_1186

Here's the discription:
Rare Austin Healey 100-4 53-55 3 speed gearshift knob. Brand new AMCO walnut shift knob with real cloisonne Austin Healey logo. These knobs have 3/8 x 20 thread and would require rethreading the aluminum base in ordered to be used on BN2 thru BJ8 vehicles. AMCO was famous during the 1950's thru the late 1970's as one of the primary suppliers of accessories to autoparts stores and dealers such as BMC , Triumph , JRT , and British Leyland. They were known for good quality. There shift knobs included a cloisonne emblem centered on top of a beautifully hand rubbed walnut knob. AMCO is no longer in business and current manufacturers are unable or unwilling to supply the same quality.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have one from Moss and the color is very reddish. It does not match the dash. I will probably get a black leather wrapped knob to match the vinyl instead.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since you've brought up the subject... I would like an old [worn] burl [stock type] knob for my tricarb roadster. If anyone has one that's just taking up space...

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Russ,

Making a knob is not rocket science. If you already have an insert, just find somebody with a lathe. Local woodworker clubs tend to crawl with wood turners looking for a challenge. If you cannot find a nearby club, call hardwood dealers and ask their employees if they know anyone who turns. I am sorry that I do not woodwork for hire.

It can be difficult to find a nice piece of walnut burl in chunk form; I used maple burl and dyed it with a walnut dye and it matches just fine. Picture here: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/406187/2

OP
R

Russ_S

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Tom, but British Autowood agreed to make one if I send the insert, so I think I'm set. Are you sure you don't want to fill this void(?); I'd love one of those burl steering wheels while you're at it! :wink:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do not know if the name of Larry Heaps has come up, but he did a great job for my BE. I wanted a knob to match my Moss steering wheel and he did a great match. He can be reached at lheaps4@gmail.com The attached is some examples of his work. no self-interest, just help.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 27000.jpg
    27000.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 153