• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake adjuster tappet

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've converted my Bugeye to later rear brakes and I'm in need of 4 brake adjuster tappets, anyone have some in their extra parts stash?
thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill,
yes indeedy, those are them.
Thanks, Rut

dklawson

Yoda
Those are the same part as used on the Mini. Mini Mania has a kit (their part number 17H7620 that includes the adjuster and two of the wedges for $19. That's a good deal when you consider that Moss sells the individual wedges (part 56) for $13 each.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Doug,
Thanks for the lead! I can't deal with $52 + shipping for a very simple part like this. I hope to find a used set and I'm not in a big hurry.
Thanks, Rut

nomad

Yoda
They do wear out. Get big grooves in them that make it hard to adjust the brakes.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
The parts from MM are well priced as a kit but you have to pay shipping and then there is the wait time. I see you are in AL. If your experiences are anything like mine, any part ordered from CA typically takes 9 business days to make it to the east coast.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Doug,
Shipping from the west coast is only about 3 to 4 days and I'm in no rush since the car is still on the rotisserie. I'm rebuilding components in between welding and body work and brakes are on my list.
Rut

dklawson

Yoda
Shipping from the west coast is only about 3 to 4 days

WOW! I can only wish for that. For some reason 9 business days seems to be the average for me... at least from Mini Mania.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rut- I found the adjusters
I'll put them in a box and wait to see if you need anything else before I send them out
Bill

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill,
You're a lifesaver! Please let me know what I owe you and pm your address as well.
Thanks, Rut

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok, I've done this conversion.... hindsight... probably wouldn't do it again. The plumbing issues are the big pain without much gain in the braking area.... the emergency brake rod redo wasn't fun... also, careful bending of the brake line to its new position is a must. My opinion is there is so little actual use of the rear brakes its not worth the effort for everyday driving...

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh, remember from long ago.... The 1/4 and 1/2 spring hub design is slightly different too... So is the backing plates of course... This combo make's the wheel cylinder's rubber boot rub against the enter part of the hub... not good... If you do go ahead make sure that whatever year you choose as a unit you buy EVERYTHING under that design. Note, that there are quite a few design changes over the span of the spridget production..

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I just picked up 5 backing plates yesterday from a buddy in Cincinnati. One was completely loaded and simply a bolt on. Hey I now have a living /fully complete rear brake assembly I can look at for reference. 2 of the backing plates came with 2 wheel cylinders mounted on them. He told me they were from a late Spridget but I've never seen a Spridget backing plate with 2 wheel cylinders on each plate. Any idea on what they might be from?

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
me either... I'm not a hydraulics genius so in my simple mind I went and duplicated the whole disc brake system from an early spridget unit in the BE... That being said, it wasn't all that easy or simple..... Building the better box is the 6 month deal turned into 2 yrs or longer start to finish project... Keep it simple stupid.... I have a sign in the shop to keep reminding myself!! haha

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
you got me there...don't know of a Spridget with 2 wheel cylinders except for the front. I put my late brake plates on, complete with all the brake parts sans tappets, and tried the hubs I have. I Bugeye set, one '68 set, and one '73 set...they all fit well with no interference. It's close and once everything is torqued down there may be a little rub. I do have interference between the E clip and the axle and will replace them with circlips.
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It appears I have only 1 usable backplate. Got a call into local shop MG Automotive here in Dayton to see if he has anything in his "back room" I can use.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK looking for a set of rear backing plates from a 3/4" Disk Braked 1098 or 1275 from 67 - 74. Anyone got a set, preferably with an unfrozen adjuster screw they are willing to sell. A set with all hardware would be even better.Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
BTW, those backing plates with two wheel cylinders are for the front of a drum brake Spridget.