• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Center Console 3000 Badge Question

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all.

My BJ8 arrived with a fake radio on the console, and I've just received the blanking plate with the 3000 logo on it. The plate itself arrived with sort of a crinkle black finish. Does it stay this way, or does it get covered with trim? Thanks as always!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Peter (AJAX50) is TOTALLY correct when he says:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The standard finish was black crackle, the car in the photograph has a lot of non-standard trim so I suspect the plate was covered with vinyl/leather when it was re-trimmed. [/QUOTE]

Along with the Blanking Plate being covered, just what I see from the pic:

Arm rest also trimmed in blue;
Steering Wheel non-std (but "period" accessory);
Shift Knob (not sure about "period accessory"??);
Pedal pads MISSING;
Chromed Switch Plate ALSO trimmed in blue;
Seat "piping" <u>appears</u> to be blue;
Arm Rests ALSO trimmed in blue

What is the <u><span style="color: #CC0000">WORST</span></u> thing you folks see????

Ed

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Ed Kaler said:
Peter (AJAX50) is TOTALLY correct when he says:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The standard finish was black crackle, the car in the photograph has a lot of non-standard trim so I suspect the plate was covered with vinyl/leather when it was re-trimmed.
[/QUOTE]
Well, maybe most, but not TOTALLY. Mine in fact, did.

Ed Kaler said:
What is the <u><span style="color: #CC0000">WORST</span></u> thing you folks see????

Ed

Criticizing a forum member's car that isn't even involved in this thread?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mr. Ed,

Not everyone restores their car to original. Some personalize with their own creative touches. Like the light blue piping. Unless they say my car is restored to concours or restored as original, I applaud the effort they make to personalize, if they choose to do so.

I'm sure we all have some things that are missing or not as original on our cars.

I agree with Greg. Criticism is not a positive here on the Forum. OMG, did I just criticize Ed /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Cheers,
Roger

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, bought my BN1 in 1970, had no paint to windscreen uprights, and black wrinkle finish to dash, no sign of paint under when doing reno, so in my case being a very early car was this how they came?
Who knows, who cares, I know!

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Gentlemen,
Since the car above in question is mine, I'll help you guys identify the non standard items.

The interior, done in 2001, is a custom Heritage leather pkg that is trimmed in their med. blue leather and piped in French Blue. It was designed by me and is decidedly not concours. The panels are standard Moss items and are slightly mismatched from the leather. Some day I'll fix that.

This is an older pic - 6 yrs old. A new one would reveal the nicest book matched walnut burl dash ever seen on a Big Healey. The pedals now are correctly covered. All of the Furflex seals have been replaced with Bristleflex trim and is correct, as far as I can tell. The radio blanking plate is trimmed in blue because I like it that way. The dash top is correct. The steering wheel is a period accessory (Motolita) and I have the original, which is very cracked and not safe to use. The door tops are trimmed in black vinyl - also correct. The carpets are Dk. Navy Wilton. Ed, the chrome switch plate is not piped. The gear shift knob is aftermarket. The top is dk blue cloth, again trimmed by Heritage. The Tonneau is also the same Heritage material. The boot cover is matching blue vinyl, custom made by a local trimmer. I have aftermarket Lucas fog lights and a cool non-standard luggage rack.

The engine, with the exception of the alternator, bumble bee wire and alloy rocker cover, is 100% correct and detailed to show condition. The boot is the same. Again, the pics are old and this has been an evolvingrestoration undertaken over many years.

Although this car can stand head to head against any out there on the grass (except Roger's - AUSMHLY ) my purpose was to restore the car to my vision, not the vision of a concours judge. I hope the above helps.
Best,
Randy '66 BJ8, '68 E-type OTS

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
All, first thing is that i was NOT criticizing!! <span style='font-size: 17pt'><u>PERIOD</u></span>

I also wish was mine!! It IS beautiful, Randy!!! Anybody would be EXTREMELY proud to say she was theirs!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]my purpose was to restore the car to my vision, not the vision of a concours judge. I hope the above helps. [/QUOTE]

The above IS as it should be!!

Now, since NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY could identify the <span style="color: #990000"><u>WORST</u></span>:

As it should be the hand-brake IS "applied!! As it should <span style="color: #CC0000">NOT</span> be, it is IN GEAR!!!

I actually LIKE the blanking plate "trimmed"!! Randy, in the pic it "looks like" the chrome switch plate appeared (to me) that also was trimmed (not "piped"!!!).

At least I was close on the seat piping. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I would really like to see a better shot of the seat and piping (no flash maybe??)

Relax, Roger! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif

Ed

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Whew. Glad that cloud has passed.

So now please tell me what is so wrong about having the car in gear while the emergency/hand brake is engaged. I have parked manual transmission cars this way for 30 years. Which means nothing, since I am an idiot. (She can confirm this).