• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Anyone got a TR2/3 Frame??

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Good lord, I want to make friends with someone like you so that I can learn to weld =P My welding is ugly at best , and just barely good enough for the fabrication that I've had to do with my roadster project

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Nice to see you are making progress with this.

Over here we are fighting damp all the time. We fill these chassis tubes with "Waxoyl" or something similar. This is Paraffin-wax dissolved in Naptha.

We block up all the holes and blow it in. Then let out the surplus. DON'T DO IT UNTIL ITS ALL WELDED.

Now you know why I made new tube sections. Or at least you will but the time you have done all the welding.

Al.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Al, is the waxoyl black? That may be what I found in the frame...it looks like a gloss black paint with lots of run marks. I didn't try to scrape it to see if it was solid or waxy.

I came very close to having the C sections bent, but most of the rust through is right around where the rail bends, and I couldn't think of a good way to bend the C. Your tip of leaving a small gap really works well. All my worry about warpage was unfounded to. The 16 gage metal is a pleasure to work. It's thin enough to shape with a hammer and dolly, but thick enough to stay stable during welding. Thanks again for the pointers!

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Waxoyl is usually brown but we can get black also. Its recently gone outof fashion a bit, because its smelly.

The current favorite is S50 from:
https://www.bilthamber.com/cavity-waxes

Because you have a gap, leading into a joint, at the bottom where you have repaired this, I would definitely inject wax of some kind.
This will draw up into to joint and vastly improves its survival. The S50 aersol is easy to use. Two cans is enough for a whole frame.

Recently a TR3 rebuilder in UK got carried away with Waxoyling as he worked. Its easy to do it this way. Eventually he came to a halt worried about the whole thing catching fire from the welding. He rigged CO2 injection to prevent this.

Its not actually much of a risk. Done it loads of times on "daily-drivers".

Are you welding the whole distance of the long joints? Or just short runs at regular steps?

Al.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Bet everybody thought I was off the job. Well, Surprise! I'm back!

Finally got the frame repaired, painted, and ready to start building on. It's near perfect in the areas that show, and...well...not perfect in the areas that don't show with the body in place. But, at least it's done! A few perspectives.

1) Was it worth the time? No
2) Was it easy? No
3) Would I do it again? Actually, Yes

The sole reason I would do it again is that I can always say the car has the original frame (mostly). And, it was pretty cost effective, since I only invested $70 in 14 gage steel (only used half that) and $100 in sand (builds up the low spots in the yard) and epoxy primer (priceir than pixy dust). I'll have to write off the 3 weeks of labor...as usually in any restoration!?!

My next job that is all labor and no money will be drilling the body panels apart. I'm pretty sure it will be more like the Blue's Brother's car at the end of the movie, where it falls apart...it's in such bad shape.

My plan is to destruct the entire body and start it over on the "new" frame.

But that'll be for a new thread, titled..."Anyone got a TR2 Body"!?!

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow John - Unbelievable work (and tenacity) given what you started with in the first post. You are truly returning a TR2 from the grave.

Jeff

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Tenacity...I like that. Sort of like the old Chief in "Outlaw Jose Whales", who was told to "endeavor to persevere"! Just hope I don't get "bit" by this zombie after it comes back from the grave.

That Ohio frame looks decent...it's the shipping to TX that kills it.

PeterK

Yoda
That's too nice to put a body on. I would be very proud if it was my frame.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Very Nice Work and well worth the effort.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow. Very nice. -I was just starting to think I was an overachiever.

I hope you often have the chance to say 'it's the original frame', just to make it worth your while.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dang John....I got to sub you out to finish my frame...REALLY NICE...you are made for this stuff. I hope to have a garage by fall to get all my TR3 parts consolidated.....ohh with better insulation and maybe a lift.....