• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone fit an exhaust and headers recently?

G

I got the new exhaust, fitting kit, 2 piece header and a new metallic gasket. Before I start dismantling, am I missing anything obvious. I figure I'll be able to reuse the studs, and I can get new nuts locally, but I don't want to start and not be able to finish for something stupid.

As always TIA, Alan

OP
G

Alan,
What brand system did you buy? I have the Falcon sport (duals) and Falcon headers. If it is the same system, I can help with my experiences. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to go into a diatribe and bore you to death.

Bill

OP
G

It's the Falcon stock stainless system with the Moss headers and their $60 fitting kit. The 20% off deal (I bought wheels too) was too good to resist, and I really hate the Monza that the PO added. "Sports" exhausts are not my thing at all - I'm more of the view that silence is golden.

I'm hoping I have everything, but based on past experience I'm sure I forgot a 99c part that is a showstopper. If it goes on ok then hopefully I can finish fitting the rear swaybar that the Monza precluded at the same time.

Actually if anyone wants an (apparently) barely used Monza exhaust and can pick it up it's free for the taking on Sunday or Monday night. After that it's going out for the garbage. I'm keeping the stock exhaust manifold though, so don't ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi,
How do you like the falcon system? I had the Monza installed at one point but pulled it off, it was just too loud. Hopefully it is quieter then the monza system. Any and all info is appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks!
Dennis

OP
G

Alan,
I do have the Falcon sport system so I can be of no help there. And, my headers are Falcon-brand and not Moss but how different can they be? The problem that I have had installing my stainless headers is blow-by, that is, exhaust gasses escaping past the gasket even when I thought that everything was bolted down nice and tight. Because the Triumph head utilizes a one-piece gasket for both intake and exhaust, and those little cast iron brackets to hold the intake and exhaust manifold on with the same bolt, you now have an area of dubious seal whenever you leave the rhelm of a cast iron exhaust manifold. Even though everyone tells you that stainless headers are made much better than mild steel headers, the fit of the flange is still not going to be the same as the cast iron original. I am convinced that there is a certain amount of flex or distortion in the header flange. First off, make darn certain that you bring the header to a good muffler shop and have him true up the mating surface. (I can certainly tell you who NOT to bring it to in Centerville, Louisiana!!)
Then you are faced with what gasket to use. Stock gaskets work best with stock components. "Header" gaskets are thicker and are an asbestos substitute and it is questionable how long they will last before they burn out, and they will burn out. Check around with various specialty shops that offer an alternative to whatever it is the popular vendors now sell. Richard Good has a slightly different head gasket he is supplying the machine shop that now has my head. There are those that will swear they have had headers on their Triumphs for 10 years and never have had a problem. I was not one of them. Too, change your studs while you are at it and definately use new nuts and friction washers. Good luck.
How's that for a diatribe?

Bill

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
I bought the thicker, more expensive intake/exhaust manifold gasket when I had my head off last time thinking I was doing the right thing. It burned out ans leaked within six months. I put the original thickness gasket back on and no problems in over a year. I know this doesn't mean squat to youif you're using a header, but beware gasket quality and material used. Also, as Bill said, get new bolts and lock washers. You'll be glad you did.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kathy, my wife, and I finished the great exhaust system adventure today. It is a long story... We now have a Pacesetter header and exhaust system and the whole outfit is rather quiet, I'm surprised to say. My friend has the same outfit on his Spitfire and it is so loud we often wear ear plugs. Mine, on the other hand, is almost too quiet for me.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Alan,
I do have the Falcon sport system so I can be of no help there. And, my headers are Falcon-brand and not Moss but how different can they be? The problem that I have had installing my stainless headers is blow-by, that is, exhaust gasses escaping past the gasket even when I thought that everything was bolted down nice and tight. Because the Triumph head utilizes a one-piece gasket for both intake and exhaust, and those little cast iron brackets to hold the intake and exhaust manifold on with the same bolt, you now have an area of dubious seal whenever you leave the relm of a cast iron exhaust manifold.
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a common problem when an intake & an exhaust flange share a common stud. If the shared flanges are not exactly the same thickness the "little cast iron bracket" cannot exert equal pressure on both flanges unless the stud bends slightly sideways to tilt the bracket. Believe me, the stud won't bend sideways enough. Result; poor seal on the thinner of the two shared flanges.

Squishy gaskets may take up the difference in flange thickness for a while, but they won't last long. A possible remedy is to have the thicker flanges surfaced to match the thinner ones. A simpler remedy is to put shims between the thinner flanges & the clamping brackets/washers so that equal clamping pressure is exerted on both flanges.
D

OP
G

Well I'm halfway there - the old exhaust system is off.

I'm really starting to hate my car. Nothing is ever easy on it - for example the 4 bolts holding the downpipe to the manifold wouldn't move even after soaking in liquid wrench and the enthusiastic application of a 6-point socket and a 24 inch breaker bar to them.

I ended up cutting the whole system into pieces to get it off...

Let's hope it goes back together easier. I bought anti-seize for the new pipes so when the new diff comes I'll be able to get it apart again (I hope).

On a slightly happier note, the new panasports look cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
G

Dennis,

In answer to your question now that I've had a chance to run it a little - I really like the stock system with the header I fitted. It was a complete pita but worth it. Quiet until you prod the accelerator, then a just a nice sound.

Much more my sort of thing.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the info, you've just helped me decide which way to go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dennis

OP
G

Dennis, if you are anywhere near where I am (I'm in Westchester) you are welcome to come and try it before making a final decision and dropping a bunch of cash.

I'm always happy to show off my toy - especially now it's starting to drive better...

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Alan,
Thank for the offer. I'm up in Dutchess County. I'll have to try and see how my work schedule lays out here. We all love those toys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif