• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice for Craigslist

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I noticed a lot of you cite items for sale on Craigslist. Have any of you ever sold through them, and if so, could you offer me some advice when putting things up for sale there? I need money for a recent restoration. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Kevin

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
I've sold several motorcycles on Craigslist. Depending on the value of the item, you'll be swamped with various scam emails from who knows what Middle East country. The typical message will be like: "I much want to pay dollars for your (whatever). Please contact to me so my agent will make pickup. Payment certified funds. God bless"
The only way to avoid this is to refuse emails and accept only phone calls. Good luck.
Russ

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On the other hand, I prefer to deal with emails, vs. random phone calls. Craiglist allows you to anonymize (is that even a word?) your email address so you can filter your own spam and only email back (thus, disclosing your actual email address) those folks that you want to actually talk to.

The biggest problem I have with Craigslist is that people are flaky. Ebay gets rid of this with their rules about bidding. About half of the people I deal with through Craigslist either don't show, call back etc. I usually trade phone calls with an intersted party to judge their level of seriousness and flakiness before agreeing to meet etc.

I see you are from WA - PM me if you want to trade phone numbers and chat. I'd be happy to share what I know.
Since Craigslist is free, I think we get our moneys worth.

This14u

When my son got out of karting we put everything on CL. Very frustrating. Many calls and lost hours/weekends sitting around waiting for people to show who didn't. None had the decency to let you know they wouldn't be there. I guess it builds character. Finally did sell our our stuff, but don't think I'll bother with CL again. For all it's faults, I've had better luck with that big on-line auction service.

Bob

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- First thing, get a CL email only.
You will get lots of emails that sound promising but are only mining addresses

Aeroweld3033

Id say youd probably get more luck from an online auction aswell if its small parts and whatnot, more of an audience too ! I dont know about your area but id say if its something big like an ATV or motorcycle then try and meet the buyer someplace close. Two friends of mine within a year of each other had motorcycles on CL, buyer calls for directions, never shows up ( during waking hours) and bikes were gone withing a day or two. At least on line auctions theres some policing going on.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I sold my Explorer last May on CL.... as Don said, I also got a separate email address just for the responses. Most were scams; I did respond to one potential buyer and arranged to meet him with the car at a gas station. I did not want him coming to the house. In the end, he bought it and it all worked out.
Use your nose Kevin.... if it doesn't smell right, it's not!

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Kevin:
I sold a TR6 parts car and a scooter on craigslist, things that I didn't want to ship. I don't like emails, because it takes too much time. I only list my cell phone No.. If your trying to sell a car or motorcycle, make sure you have full coverage on them. That way if it disappears the insurance will take care of it. Another thing about using the phone is that you can see what area code the call is coming from which gives you the option of answering it or not. Good luck.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
obviously people have different preferences on contact method, the important thing is to let the buyers know the one you prefer to be contacted by in the listing. I also prefer email to random calls from people I don't know. but some people never check e-mail or don't like people giving it out and prefer phone calls. I have sold off and on with craigslist, furniture, battery chargers, kids stuff, I have had good luck with people showing up when they say the will, I think cash only is the best way to do business and most people I think understand that. I have had more frustration trying to contact people that have stuff for sale and them not getting back than vice versa. If you want to sell something put in pictures and get back to people that contact you the same day, if it is a common item they can find elsewhere they will move on and maybe buy elsewhere if you don't get back, I know I do.

mike_h

It works, I've sold a motorhome and a Hyundai in the past two months on CL. Do your part too, lots of pictures, post more in a free photo site (Flicker, Photobucket) to help weed out the tire kickers. E Mail is fine for a first contact but phone calls really help to make the sale.
Take the posting down when it sells, don't waste everyone's time.

mike

Country flag
I've had good luck with CL both selling and buying. Yep, you get some scam emails but the callers have been straight forward. I'd rather sell a vehicle on CL than Evil bay.Quicker as well.

Marv

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've had good luck with CL both selling and buying. Yep, you get some scam emails but the callers have been straight forward. I'd rather sell a vehicle on CL than Evil bay.Quicker as well.
Marv

Me too... though the spam is getting bad. The biggest problem we've had is when something is in high demand and the feeding frenzy that happens. I just tell them first come first served. This has happened when selling a car (that we usually price low just to get rid of it).