• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A type core

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A rebuilt A type is $2750 outright (incl wiring, switch, solenoid, relay, angle drive, etc) from Quantumechanics so perhaps that amount less the cost of the ancillaries ($200) and what you expect the rebuild to cost will be a plausible figure.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or another way to look at it : QM charges less than $200 for a core (the difference between the "exchange" and "outright" price), which is what you are looking at.

Unfortunately, the internal condition can vary widely even in a "running when removed" unit and it's easy to drop $1000 or more on parts even without any major internal damage. The uncertainty is one of the reasons that so many people opt for the Toyota conversion instead.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Or another way to look at it : QM charges less than $200 for a core (the difference between the "exchange" and "outright" price)...

I think that is their charge based on exchanging a 4-speed core for a rebuilt OD gearbox -- so the value of an OD core would be higher. But, on their site at least, they do not quote what they would charge to simply rebuild an OD. The answer to that may be 'it depends'.

FWIW -- I sprang for a rebuilt OD from QM just because I wanted the Laycock de Normanville experience in at least one car. For me it was well worth the expense to have what has proven to be a very reliable unit.

Country flag
I recently bought two TR4A's with a bunch of spares ( four engines and four A type overdrive trans) I was very happy with the deal. Ask the present owner if you can take the shifter top off the trans and look inside. You will at least have a better feel of condition if the gears look decent. Spin the trans by hand as well. AND if you have time, power the solenoid to see if it will move. If all that checks, offer $500 and see what happens.

Marv

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Wow Marv, you hit the jackpot there didn't you?

Scott

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for your advice. For now it looks like I'll have to keep looking. He now wants to sell everything together in stead of parting it out. everything was on a pallet and shrink wrapped. I struggled with the Toyota conversion thing but want to keep my Tr3 as close to original as possible. The alternator conversions did the same thing to me. Still running a generator.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Perhaps because of your predilection for Laycock d' Normanville rather than a Toyota 5-speed?

I have the former and also have positive ground, crank hole in the radiator, AM radio and (most of the year) skinny tires. I also don't care for Shakespeare done in modern settings (especially with the Nazis as the bad guys).

It's not that I'm a purist really, it's just how I like it.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That may be the difference because I wouldn't care for Shakespeare in any setting. Do what ever you think is right for your car. I take a lot of heat for customizing my TR250. Why would you do that it's so rare?!! I'm keeping my 7 as close to original and when I get to the 69 TR6 it will be in the period as they say. However the seats on all my cars now have cloth where you sit. Makes longer drives more pleasant. No swampy undies.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's not that I'm a purist really, it's just how I like it.

Which of course is exactly the point. It's your car, it should please you !

I'm no purist either, but I'll take a 7-speed semi-automatic (aka Laycock OD) over a 5 speed manual (aka toy box) any day! I have even been known to buy entire cars just to get the OD.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's what I was looking at. The guy has a car completely disassembled on pallets and shrink wrapped. No frame. He wasn't sure wether to part out or sell outright. Just not a lot of TR stuff around here.
I wonder why Bill asked me if it was still positive ground?