• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 6ft3, MGB - only solution to chop my legs off?

JonnyEye

Freshman Member
Hi everyone,

I posted on the Spridgets forum a little while ago, asking if I'd squeeze into a Midget - I'm 6ft3 with very long legs....and it was recommended that I try an MGB instead...

So imagine my disappointment today when I went to test drive a BEAUTIFUL 1969 MGB and found it almost impossible to drive....my right leg bent in at an odd angle and the (original, very big) steering wheel locking against my thigh..

The dealer suggested a smaller steering wheel would solve the problem but I'm not so sure that will do the trick on it's own.

Should I just give up on this whole idea? Or are there some more radical fixes? Can the seats be lowered any further? Can the steering column be shortened? Any other bright ideas?! Really want one!

Thanks!

Jonathan
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are several things you can do...14" Tourist Trophy wheel from Moss will take care of the wheel on leg problem - I've done it on most of my B's...Pontiac Fiero seats modified to fit in the original MG seat holes & tilted just a smidge helps as they'll slide a bit further back & are a little lower....they're easy to modify & M. Mike leather covers make them look right at home.

jdeluke137

I'm 6'5" and 235#'s, 53 years old, have the standard wheel, and drive my 76 MGB with no problem. Yes, your right leg is going to be bent somewhat. You get use to that. My seats are old, and the foam is compacted somewhat, so that allows me to sit low. I drive with the seat all the way back. My left leg can actually stretch all the way out when not operating the clutch.

I've driven my car for 5 hours straight, and don't have any more trouble getting out of it than after driving my F150 pickup for the same time. And even if I did, I'd much rather be driving my MG than the pickup any day of the week.

Being a bit of a contortionist is a small price to pay for owning and driving an MGB!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Me too....Six foot three and over 250#, 50 years old. My 69B had a little larger wheel, but I was smaller back then (about 25 years ago)and my '74 has the stock, but slightly smaller wheel than the 69, and I fit comfortably in it. Some people laugh because my head is higher than the windshield, but the leg room is not much of a problem, once you get used to it. I drive a Chrysler LHS and a Silverado, so I am used to plenty of room in other cars. Never stops me from drivning the B every chance I get to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: 6ft3, MGB - only solution to chop my legs off

6'3" and this was one of my concerns when buying mine. I first thought I'd need to buy a smaller wheel, but with the seat all the way back it's actually very comfortable. Someone on the forum had suggested cutting a bit of foam out from the seat, which sounded like it could do the trick too.

JeffS

Jedi Trainee

Besides cutting a bit of foam out of the seat, the seat slides that bolt to the floor have 3 sets of mounting holes in them. The seat can easily be moved further back on its floor mounts to allow more leg room. I have a friend who is 6'5" tall and he drives my B with no problems. I'm 5'10" and can move the seat to accomodate myself as well.

The foam modification is a relatively easy one. Simply notch the foam around the seat frame a bit. It'll make sense if you take one apart to look at it. If your seats have replacement foam, they are higher than stock! You can also replace the seat webbing that supports the foam with the older style (Pre-'71) diaphragm. That will allow the foam to sit lower as well.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Or are there some more radical fixes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, JonnyEye!!! Do like Dan (100DashSix)!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Buy a Big Healey!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try one on for "size"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
To change the subject somewhat, do the Fiero Seats look good in a MGB, or maybe some Miata seats? I have thought about putting in something different in my 73'. They need redoing anyways, but I dont want it to look totally mismatched.

Thanks

Newkie

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Fiero Seats:

fieroseats002.jpg

What are the door armrests from tony? They almost look like they came from the factory that way.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kenny - those door handles are also from a Pontiac Fiero....I dyed them to match the seats (actually, dyed all the panels as well)...just screwed a piece of metal to the door so there'd be something to fasten them to.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ehutche

Freshman Member

I'm 6'5+" and have no problem driving my '80B. Remember, you don't get in an MG... you put it on.