• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'65 MK2...typical "whats it worth ? " post

65fstbk

Freshman Member
'65 MK2...typical "whats it worth ? " post

Im sure you guys get these questions on a regular basis...and sorry if I missed something that may have helped me, but...I have a chance to buy a '65 MK2 and have no idea where to start with pricing.
I introduced myself in the new members section a few months back, but I never came to this section to ask anything about it....until now.
I currently have a '65 Mustang Fastback (289/c-4 auto), and a '51 Ford Tudor Custom (302/c-4 auto)...both of them are projects...the mustang is tore completely apart, but the '51 is still complete and running,but needs alot of work to be nice. (it was my Dads project before he passed away)..with that said...a co-worker (who knows I like old cars) told me about her neighbor who has the MK2...I went and looked at it, but the garage looked like an episode of "Horders" and I was unable to get as good a look as I wanted.I will tell you what I know/seen...The lady (owner) says that she thinks she is the second owner..the original owner brought it from England to the States in the mid to late 70's and she bought it in 1982..the car has had 1 repaint (a light blue?..original color?)It has always been kept in her garage (concrete floor) and was never in the snow, and she only remembers getting caught in the rain with it once. From what I could see, the body looks extremely solid (for a car in Ohio) I couldnt see under it very well, but that also looked solid.From what I know and could see, it is compltete from the hubcaps to the air cleaner. She had an after market stereo (modified for + ground) installed, but still has the original.The interior looked good, and I am hoping that since it was kept out of the sun, the leather can be saved..the wood looked great also. She said mice had gotten into the car, but I didnt see any evidence of it..I assume the may have got into the head liner.(remember..I could barely get the door open because of all the junk in the garage) what wiring I could see looked good..I couldnt see under the dash. The car has the 3.8/4speed-OD.It hasnt been started in 20 years..there was nothing wrong with it when she parked it, she just never got around to getting it out in the spring, and before she knew it alot of years had passed and she lost interest in it. The motor turns over (by hand) but thats all I know about it.. Also...it is right hand drive :yesnod:
So..with that (vague) description are any of you able to give me a ball park figure on what Ii should pay for it if I decide to get it?..she has contacted me a couple of times in the last month or so saying she would like to sell it before winter so she can park her new car in the garage, and that she would even consider less for it than what she first said.
My daughter is getting married this week-end, and after that, it should free up some time and money (also had 2 daughters graduate college this year) and I would like to look into this a little more...What I would be hoping for is something that with a month of week-ends and $1000.00 (or so) it can be mechanically sound and a fun little driver (my brother manages a body shop, so that can happen any winter)

so...whatcha think? :cheers:

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Re: '65 MK2...typical "whats it worth ? " post

Things for sure you'll need if it hasn't been out in 20 years. A complete brake overhaul, Radiator may need cleaned out, hoses replaced. Tires, I'm sure the existing ones are well past their use date. All fluids. Not knowing the car you could find work starting to be needed, like the exhaust, some of the low body like the so called crows feet, hidden wiring or other damage if there's been mice,and maybe replacement of seals in the drive train as some may be dried out and could start to leak with fresh use.

None of this is intended to discourage you, it may indeed be possible to spend $1000 or so and have a reasonable driver. Just remember the old adage, twice as much and 3 times as long as you thought.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight

You really need to push it out of the storage cave and take a good hard look at the body. They have quarter elliptic springs, and the area where they attach is complicated, rust prone, and expensive to fix.Sill rust as well, but are not as big a deal to fix. Being from England, I have to say, cars rust there too, and a lot of cars were "fixed up" for export in the past...

Next most expensive thing to fix is the interior. I just had a set of seats done for a 74 XJ12, and it was over 4 grand.

Brakes are a little pricey as well, but assume it needs every part rebuilt/replaced. Most rubber parts elsewhere are probably perished as well, but most of that sort of stuff would likely be replaced as part of a re commissioning anyway. (Save any/all original hose clamps. Cheney clamps bring 20 bucks each on Ebay...)

The 3.8, 4spd w/ OD is probably the most desireable version. They are worth more in England than here, so after you have had your fun, you can export it back, and maybe break even

That last thing I will leave you with is this. Jesses' Maxim. "There is NOTHING more expensive than a cheap Jaguar"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

That last thing I will leave you with is this. Jesses' Maxim. "There is NOTHING more expensive than a cheap Jaguar" ]/quote]

:lol: :iagree:

D

Deleted member 8987

Pull the carpets off the floor and hit the floor around the pad with an icepick. Rust is a big issue, and if sills/floors are rusty, and it hasn't run in 20+ years, they need to pay you to take it away if you are going to restore it. Coolant may have died, in which case old coolant turns into a rust enhancer, and core plugs, heater core, steel heater lines, radiator, water pump......even head gasket. Don't even try to turn it over until you get it out, pull the plugs, oil the cylinders, new oil and filter, and roll in in 4th gear until you get several full rotations of the crank, then, when you do turn it over, crank it with no plugs until you get oil pressure, as the bearings will be DRY.
Wiring.......maybe okay, maybe not. Insulation may be dead.....bend some accessible pieces and see if it crumbles.
As stated, all the hydraulics, and probably not repairable, as water will have eaten calipers, booster, master.
As stated, ALL rubber hoses need to be changed, points and condensor, plugs, fuel tank dropped and flushed, checked for leaks, pump may not work due to corrosion on points, tires are history.
Barn finds like this will empty your bank account.

Sorry about the 302 in your 51......I have a 50 Tudor, 30 years on the last engine, put a Merc in lst rebuild, oh, 6 years ago. Flatheads Forever!