• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

%#@#%@ 5 speed transmission - rear mount!!--Help

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Well, just spent about 3 hours trying to get the rear mount under the trans.

Starting to wonder if I did something wrong with the Rivergate Kit. Mounted the metal plate under the transmission per the instructions - seems like it could only go one way. When I'm under the car looking up (My head facing the front of the car), the plate is mounted by the two screws supplied with the curve of the plate facing the front of the car.

The rear mount I'm installing just doesn't want to fit. I've got the car up o jackstands, with the trans hoisted up as high and towards the front of the car was possible. I'm assuming its fits with the curve facing the front of the car, the two side mounts should should up the to the existing screw holes in the transmission tunnel, and the rubber mounts should be under the slotted openings on the attached trans. mount.

Darn things just won't go in? Am I doing something wrong..is there a 'trick' to this? Thanks....

HSLDmark

Freshman Member
I remember having an "issue" when I did this too. Don't remember what I did exactly but I have a feeling a hammer was involved.

The second time I think I jacked up the transmission and was able to slide the mount in under the trans.

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Oh yes it is a bear! I struggled with mina a good 45 minutes, jacked the trans up, took a dremel tool to the half moon part to make it deeper etc. Then while I was moving to get more leverage with the handle of a hammer the mount dropped out of where I had wedged it partway and hit me right in the face. Opened up my eyebrow and I bled all friggin over.

Then I got back under it and wedged it slightl sideways and it popped right in!

Country flag
Do you have the motor mounts loose?

I struggled with mine for 30-40 minutes, and then asked my father to look at the problem. He spent three minutes on the job and had it worked into place. He said that he didn't understand why I was having problems with it. He is a bit of a gorilla, so I suspect he just muscled it into place.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

65sprite

Sorry to hear this is not going well for you. When I did mine a couple of years ago I don't recall any difficulty, and I tend to remember everything that I have had to wrestle with in the past.

Did notice you said "hoisted". When I did mine I put it on a floor jack and slid it into place, without any difficulty. Also, I installed the trans. first, then dropped in the engine.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
65sprite said:
Also, I installed the trans. first, then dropped in the engine.

I suspect that made all the difference.........

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
If you are having trouble installing the mount to the tranny and haven't gone to far, you can pull the motor and tranny out to where you can install the mount on the tranny. Then slide everything in and you anly have to worry about the other bolts.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that is the way it is done with the stock units, install on tranny and slip the whole thing in there loosly so you can get the bottom bolts in, they are always a pain.

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for all the suggesgtions. The engine and trans. are all the way in the car. I'll just take a break and get back to it. Keep you posted on the progress.

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Good going Bruce. Glad to hear it's in the car and beleive me, as others will attest you will not beleive the transformation this makes to the car.

Next is bleed the clutch, man you are going to like that!

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Like Trevor, I can't remember all the details, but it was a PAIN. I remember that portion well. I think in the end I just kept pushing and pulling and jacking the trans this way and the car that way and finally got it in. (BTW, Jayrz, the thing fell right onto my face once too, although no bleeding).

Sorry that's about all I remember from that wretched experience. Good luck.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Hang in there it's all worth the effort. Only thing is you will be tinkering under bonnet more. Why? you will here all kinds of new little noises you never heard before!
But really you love it.