• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 4 Wheel Disc Brakes for TR6 - Available?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Is there actually a company that makes a true conversion? How about a detailed tutorial on what parts to locate and how to do it?

You can tell I'm bored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

Re: $ Wheel Disc Brakes for TR6 - Available?

Check 6-pack. There was a guy on there a while back punting them. Do a search.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Thanks Alan. I'll post my findings if interesting.

RomanH

Jedi Knight

Paul,
Contact milemarker60 on this forum. He has 4 wheel discs on him TR-BMW hybrid.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

No rear E brake on the set up out there. Unless things have changed recently.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
There was a fella in Utah, out by Park City, that auction off a set on Ebay. They included parking brakes. I emailed with him several times. Seemed for real, was going to make more, bolted straight on. I can't find the emails on this machine, maybe on my laptop will look tomorrow.
Someone won the auction.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

There seem to be more solutions in England, even though most TRs were exported to the U.S.

Try Hi-Spec Brakes and Revington TR.

I know Revington makes up a rear disk brake kit from several sources, and that it has an emergency brake. Had an email "conversation" with Neil about it recently. www.revingtontr.com

Hi-Spec is featured in Roger William's "Improving TR..." books. <a href="https://www.hispecbrakes.com/" target="_blank">https://www.hispecbrakes.com/[/url]</a> is their website. Whoops! My bad... that's their Kart brake site... try https://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/ for a wider range of setups for the street.

There are lots of front disk upgrades around. It's really just a matter of how much you want to spend. Rear disk conversions are a bit less common, but with all the "modernized hot rod" conversions being done on American muscle cars, there has got to be a source in the U.S., too. Might need some creative thinking and fabrication. I suspect liability and lawsuits are key things making it more difficult to find something in the U.S. (Local machine shops refuse to cross drill brake rotors for cooling!)

Whatever you do, keep in mind that brakes are a critical system and simply must be done right. I'd be a little leary of buying a set up from some unknown source.

On the used parts front, I've heard of adapting later Nissan Z-car rear disk brakes.

The issue of a parking brake might be addressed separately. I've seen add-on parking brake calipers. These are just small, mechanically operated calipers that clamps down on the same same disk as the rear brake caliper to do the job. Some sort of mounting bracket needs to be fabricated, of course.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for the info, guys. I've been away for two days, so I'll follow up on these tomorrow.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Paul
my triumph mechanic has engineered a full 4 wheel disc conversion (ventillated) and total beak system upgrade. Most parts are off the shelf. Total cost he is charging, as a guide, is AU$900. I'll try and get more info for you. He is also setting up a web site shortly. You should be able to source the parts and do the mods yourself.
Regards
Craug

G

Engineering rear discs for a TR6 has got to be a little more than a bolt-on process. Aren't the front brakes designed to take the brunt of the braking force. How would one know, if they are installing rear discs, if they were overengineering the new rears and possibly causing the total braking of the car to veer off into the danger zone? I would think that re-designed rear brakes would have the potential to be more efficient than stock TR front brakes, hence the potential for a dangerous situation.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I would think that the key lies in the correct pressure and volume distribution through the proportioning valve. Without some changes in that area, I would tend to agree with Bill.

However, no task is ever insurmountable and with the proper design, he may have a winner.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Bill
I would agree if it were a 'back yard' brake upgrade. My Triumph mechanic has developed the brake upgrade from conversions he has evolved for race prep Triumphs over the last 15 years. He looks after a few teams and has a race prep car himself, so I trust he has done his homework regarding final performance of the modified car on the street (and track).
Regards
Craig

G

Hi Craig,
Sounds as though your mechanic friend has done his homework. I guess I was referring to someone just "sticking" a disc system on the rear and hoping for the best. Most of the upgrades that many of us enjoy on our car have been tried and tested by enthusiasts who know what they are doing, much like your mechanic. However, I have seen brake systems slapped on Hot Rods that have proved to be downright dangerous. Would be nice if your system can be marketed as a bolt-on for the rest of us to enjoy. After much testing. Not sure how the laws are down under, but liability laws over here often affect how a system can be sold.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Adding braking to the rear does require some care. The fellow who did most of the engineering to my race car in the late sixties tried an upgrade to the rear drums by replacing the Girling cylinders with a dual piston one from a Mustang. Boy did it ever stop, right up to the point where the axle splines began to fail. After going through two sets of axles the Mustang brakes found themselves on the scrap pile. I later confirmed this problem with Ken Richardson (whom I managed to corner) at a VTR convention circa 1990. They had to come up with an uprated axle for the LeMan's TRS cars. For a street car it's probably not a concern, but if you're into hill climbs, etc. it would be. Just some food for thought.

Tom Lains
TS8651 & 58107

RobT

Jedi Warrior
A simple and cheap upgrade for the rear brakes is to install a larger diameter cylinder/piston. A Morgan/Sunbeam rear slave is a direct replacement. These are 7/8" and were used on Sunbeam Alpine Series 1& 2 cars & some Morgans. Victoria British part number is (was) 7-946. The Girling part number is #64670475. This is a direct bolt in replacement. That, and some new/relined rear pads (even if not worn, these can get hard over time, particularly if you've had a fluid leak) and you will see a marked improvement in stopping.

G

Sounds like a cheaper and easier upgrade. I upgraded my stock pads to Kevlar pads. Seem to give me a little improvement in stopping power. One thing about these pads, they are marketed as "dustless". That is a huge lie. After any run in the car, my Panasports are always a nice gray color.