• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1967 TR4A IRS - How much are they worth?

TR4A

Freshman Member
I've come across a 1967 TR4A IRS. It's a very solid car from Tennessee. Excellent original interior. New top. Red (repainted 15 years ago) with white top. Steel wheels with the hub caps (no wire wheels). Runs great. It's been used for the occasional parade and local car shows for the past 15 years.

What price range should it be in? I'm not completely familiar with these cars but it seems like a great one.

Thanks for any thoughts or information you have!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
The NADA guide for my zip code (12062 in upstate NY) gives $9,750 for low retail; $19,200 for average retail; and $34,150 for high retail. I'll leave it to you to explore NADA's site and see their explanations for those terms, etc., etc.

On the other hand, I have $38 in my wallet right now, if you're interested in a quick sale. :devilgrin:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I bid 40$

TR4

Jedi Knight
That being said, with your minimal description, if you could pick it up for under $10,000, your not risking too much. Has the motor been rebuilt, suspension rebuilt or any other updates been made to help us price it? Mileage, if known and photos would really help.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Most 4a's i see go for less than 25k. many average around 15k for a pretty good ones. nice ones can still be found for under 10k. i've seen some not too bad ones for around 7k.

You need to do some research as to what YOU want. Do you want a 100% original in perfect condition that will win at british car shows (originallity is a must) that you will occationally drive? Do you want a car with some updates that make it more user friendly? Do you want a tight handling, fast, car with minilites, modern brake materials, hotter cam, etc?

If you are new to triumphs, i would recomend getting all the books there are out there and start reading first.
I would suggest bill piggotts books (the restoration one and the "original triumph" one, and if you are interested in modifications and potential problems from "pushing" these cars (ie. heavy right foot) then get all the Kas Kastner books-type in Kas Kastner on the web and you will find his site. You can also download "tuning standard triumphs" off the net by David Vizard.

Do not rev these motors past 5000rpm unless you have upgrades-particularly connecting rods and crankshaft nitriding.
Rob

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
Rob, I've owned my 66 TR IRS since new and this is the first time that I have ever heard that the 2.2 "tractor" needed to be handled with kid gloves. Who revs a low reving tr constantly at 5000....and at top gear 5000 will put you past 100mph.
Your not going to find to many "nice" 4a's or 4s for under 10k anymore. These TRs are no longer the "Roger Dangerfields" of the series.

boeingpilot

Country flag
I paid 8000 for mine 2 years ago. It's a very solid runner, but cosmetically challenged. Wire wheels, but no OD. The interior is tired, and it has someones less than stellar paint job on it.

That being said, I would buy the best mechanically sound car you can find. With the interior kits available any numbskull can do a pro looking job. Of course, watch for rust. If there is a little on the surface there is almost always a ton more underneath.

Good luck,
C

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Actually the true value of a car is what ever someone is willing to spend at the present time.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I looked at a TR4A in town a 3-4 years ago, the guy wanted $6500 or so for it, I thought it was way to much, had bad paint and worse panel fit.

But it was nice and shiny and showed well on E-bay in pictures when he sold it last year for 12K or so I was astonished.

When I redid my 4A twenty years ago they were still kind of the unwanted stepchild of the TR family, the tweener between the rough and ready 50s look sidescreen TRs and the relatively smoothed and sophisticated last of the original TR line TR6, this was reflected in both the prices they brought and the number you would see at shows.

Still fewer 4s and 4As at shows, but they are getting the respect they deserve as far as prices these days. They have much more grunt and panache (in my opinion) than the period competitor the MGB, and more of a vintage look and feel than a TR6.

They are comfortable cars to drive around in and nice on long trips, esp. with O/D. From what you are describing hard to say exactly but sounds like an over 10K car, maybe closer to 13-17K.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There,

I was just driving thru (I used to be active here but since I bought my `59 Bugeye; I`m on the Spridget Forum now):

Anyways, I sold my `66 TR4A-IRS approx. a yr ago or so. She needed "Nothing". Looked Great & ran Better. I "Gave it Away" for $13K in my opinion but the market & economy dictate the "Avg" going values + Whatever you may think its worth to yourself!!

Best Wishes in Your Hunt,

Russ