• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 on an engine stand

klutterbutt

I'm at the beginning stage of re-assembling the 1275 for the Midget. All parts have been cleaned, machined, balanced and painted. How do I go about mounting the block to the stand? Do I need to bolt the rear plate to the block first and then to the stand or just bolt directly to the block. Which holes should I attach to?

This is my first ever attempt at rebuilding a motor so any helpful advise will be much appreciated.

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
When I do a 1275, I put the rear plate on. I first put the cam in. That allows me to get plenty of cam lube on all the lobes. Then I put the crank in and torque the main caps down. After that I put the oil pump and rear plate on. I bolt the stand to the top two bell housing holes, and spred the bottom two to mount them to the rear plate. I don't paint the engine till I have it assembled. That way I get paint on all the bolts. Also with the engine on the stand it allows me to rotate the engine to get it well covered.

OP
klutterbutt

klutterbutt

Thanks Tom,

In front of me right now is a yellow sticky note with your web address on it. I was going to check out your site tonight and see if I wanted to add it to my favorites. I can't remember where or why I have it on this note but I've had it in my briefcase for a few weeks. Maybe someone on the Yahoo midgetsprite group mentioned it.

Like I said, this is my first go at building an engine and I thought the block should be painted first. Not only am I building the motor but I'm installing a Rivergate5speed trans at the same time. I took the engine out to install the trans but decided that while I already had it out I should go through it in the hopes of not having to do it again later. I had everything that rotates or reciprocates balanced. I'm installing a slightly hotter street/road cam(Kent 266), adjustable dual timing chains(also Kent) and a lightened flywheel(aluminum). I'm looking for freeway performance and dependability. As a daily driver I'll average 100 miles/day to and from work. Of course I hope to alternate the ride between three cars as often as I can. I don't drive either of the MGs in the rain--especially on the I-15 freeway.

Thanks again for your feed-back. I know I'll have lots of questions during this project.

I think I'll head over to your site now and check it out.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've found that a convenient way to mount an "A" series engine to an engine stand is to use an adapter, easily fabricated, that bolts to the two holes on the right side of the block where the rear generator/alternator mount goes. This allows easy access to everything, and the block can be rotated to the vertical to install the cam. If you install the cam this way, there is less of a chance of dinging a lobe or a bearing. You can also install the flywheel and clutch while it's on the stand.
Jeff

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I don't know!! I just like having an engine on a table!! I just built a really study 'rebuild table' and I have had it for a few years!! If I don't have an engine on it, I use it for other stuff!! Anyway, I had an engine stand and just prefer it that way!! Each to his own!! Hey, I've done quite a few 350's, a 2.2 Dodge and a couple of 'B's!! It works for me, but each to his own!!
cheers.gif

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
My partners that way too,Gary. I like the stand because it makes it easier for me to roll it out side to paint. I use Vari Prime and that isn't something I want flooting around in the shop. Using a gun the overspray can be a problem.

G

I find the engine stand the way to go. You can rotate it any way you need to without gouging up your table or getting wood splinters inside the engine. Any excess assembly lube just falls to the groung instead on the table to get all over everything else. Plus it make it super easy to paint afterward

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
That may be so, but I just have carried them outside!! Actually, now that I think about it, I paint the block first and then just touch stuff up!! Maybe it is time I start being a little more careful!! Like I say, each to his own! When I rebuilt the 460 I used an engine stand!!
smile.gif

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
You know Chuck, I had a biker friend years ago that I watched him pick up an inline six and set it in the trunk of a car. He was 6'6 and weighed 325#. He was the same guy I use to ride with and go bar hopping. Never had any problem with drunks wanting to jump my bones.
thirsty.gif
grin.gif

G

I had a coal miner buddy who helped me move once. he picked up a washing machine and held it over his head and carried it around the house
iagree.gif