• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB '74 B-GT with fuel problem - SOLVED [I think!]

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It looks like the problem may have been solved. After I checked the ground on the pump and it still stopped after just a few seconds, I took it off the car and hooked it up to 12 volts. Again, it ran for 10 seconds or so, then stopped. Decided to get a new Hardi pump from Gordon.

When I was taking the faulty pump off, I found that the rear flexible hose for the brakes was cracking - seemed like it was kind of twisted when it was put on - so I ordered one of those, too. Today was the first chance I had to bleed the rears, since my 12-year-old grandson didn't have school, and he did an excellent job as the pedal pumper. Only problem was getting his size 12 sneakers in there...

He wanted to go out on the road test, so we buzzed around for about 25 minutes, the brakes work perfectly and the engine ran just like it was a real car. I think Alex might turn out to be a car guy.

Thanks for the advice,

Harry

This was the original post:

"First time this happened, I start the car and drive off. In about ½-mile or so, the engine stumbles, then dies. First thought was fuel tank not venting, so I loosened the gas cap - no sound of air rushing in. Turned ignition on, and heard the fuel pump chatter like a machine-gun, then settle down to normal clicking.

Since then I have driven until it dies (½-mile), then checked the fuel filter. It's glass, and was about 1/2-full or less. Got back in, turned on ignition, fuel pump machine-gunned again, then settled down. Started engine, drove home.

Checked the vent line from the canister to the gas tank - compressed air from hose under hood to the tank, and could feel good air flow.

Today I tried pumping gas into a clear bottle, from the fuel filter hose. Might have seen bubbles in the glass filter, and in the catch bottle - not sure. While doing that, the fuel pump stopped dead. Over the next five minutes or so, I tried turning on ignition with no clicking at all, and tried switching on/off. Then the pump began to click and pump gas, but stopped again.

Checked around the pump, and the lines and connectors seem okay."

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Was your original pump a points pump? I had a similar problem with mine except i had to open it up and "convince" the pump to do its job before it would start again.

OP
Flash_Harry

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes, it was a points pump, and new in 2011. It would click after being tapped, but only for a few seconds. When I took the top off the pump, the points area looked like it was coated with soot. So I decided to try a 'pointless' pump and see how that goes.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i had to open it then "break" them free by pushing them through their motion with my fingers. it would kind of pop. But it was an old pump. Im stumped by the fact it would pump fine then stop. mine would stop and be done until I freed it up.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Gentlemen - SU fuel pump points need to be cleaned periodically and especially after having sat unused for long periods of time. The best way of insuring that the points are completely cleaned is to use the procedure in the article, Cleaning Points in the SU Fuel Pump Articles section of my Homepage, linked in the signature block below. Cheers,