• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thoughts from the TVR Experts?

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all:

I have absolutely no experience with TVRs, other than the fact that I like them and would love one at some point. I would appreciate thoughts from the experts on this one, currently on eBay:

1974 2500M

Thanks!

V

vagt6

I'm eyeballin' that one too, Bill.

I love TVRs and the 2500M is my fave model (except the 200s, which are wayyy to expensive for my budget). 2500Ms are nicely priced nowadays, and in my opinion are a heck of a deal. It would seem a good idea to grab a nice one now, I think prices are destined to increase.

There are some quite knowledgeable TVR folks who post here, so I'll defer to them on the details. But, TVRs have the same issues for resto work as all other LBCs. Tubular frame is pretty strong from what I've heard, but needs close inspection for rust, collision damage.

Anyone else??

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That sure is clean, and having the TR6 engine shouldn't be a problem keeping it running forever.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Bill,
The TVR 2500M to which you refer looks, based on the photos, to be a very nice example. The one type of photo missing, however, is of the chassis but if it is anything like the rest of the car appears to be, it
would be a very nice example for the price.
TVRs have been for years, and remain today, one of the great undiscovered bargains in sportscars, in my opinion.
I've been owning and driving TVRs for the past 33 years and have owned the only TVR parts business in the US for the past 3+ years. The one thing you said that I would like to correct, is that you wanted the opinion of 'TVR experts'. It is my contention that there really is no such thing as an 'expert' on TVRs because so much information on TVR was never properly documented by the factory,so it is difficult to know everything about the marque. However, there are some very knowledgeable people on the TVR marque who have been around them for many years and owned a number of examples. I think they will all agree that if chassis is sound, if the car has never been seriously damaged, that you then have a good basis from which to operate. Parts are available, service is straightforward, and the cars are a blast to drive. Where else can you buy a hand-built exotic that's not going to rust out beneath you(if the chassis is good) and that you can drive fairly economically and have people come up to you and want to know about it for that kind of money? It's really the best of both worlds when it comes to sportscars.
But...that's just my humble opinion.

Marshall

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all:

I very much appreciate the information! I have always liked low-production British cars, hence my TR250, MGC and Tiger. Of course, a TVR would take it to a whole other level!

One question (among many) that I have deals with performance. As the owner of a TR 250 and a TR6, I'm quite familiar with the drivetrain. When we bought my girlfriend's TR6, we didn't want anything after 1971 or 1972 given that the engines were somewhat de-tuned after that (though of course, only slightly). Any of the same issues with the Triumph mills in the 2500? In other words, am I better off with an earlier 2500 than a later 2500? Not that there are many to choose from!

Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Bill S.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The TVR should weigh a bit less than a TR6, so that is less of an issue. If you can track down a copy of the TR6 competition handbook, spicing up the performance is pretty easy. Plus then you can add overdrive.... It never stops. I have worked on a LOT of TVRs over the years, and although they have their hand built quirks, they are REAL sports cars in the old school sense. I say go for it!!

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
And Jesse would know. The best thing you could do for yourself is find someone who owns a TVR in your area (and there are quite a few in the DC metropolitan area) and see if you can go for a test drive with them so you can get the feel for the car. I think you will be pleased, if not amazed. Think of it as a go kart on steroids. And, as Jesse said, your options are almost unlimited with Triumph performance parts to do whatever you want to upgrade the performance. But, even in stock form,a TVR will run circles around a similar TR6 and other cars with similar power output but which way a good bit more.
Once you've driven a good TVR, you'll have a hard time going back.'
Marshall

aztvr

Country flag
Many have done V8 conversions. At this point, I would hate to see a good example undergo conversion. However, unfinished and completed cars often pop up. I do know of a TVR 2500 with a completed conversion for sale in CA, It hasn't been driven for some years and when I inquired, it seemed the price was high; but, one always needs to evaluate the car in person to decide what the value to you is. That eBay car looks great; but, photos are never a good way to judge a car (unless it looks horrible).