Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Daimler SP250 restoration

Chats

Daimler SP250 restoration

I joined this board recently, after poking here around a bit. There seem to be a few Dart owners around, I'm surprised you don't have your own section!

My car's a two-owner vehicle. My father bought it new in 1962. It has 40,253 miles on it, but it sat in storage for about 40 years and so requires a complete restoration.

It's a rare factory custom colour, purple grey, but it will be repainted in silver eventually.

When I dropped the car off in May 2007:

Current condition:

It's not going to be done anytime soon, but it's great to finally have work underway!
    James
    1962 Daimler SP250

Chats

Re: Daimler SP250 restoration

P.S. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with DART, since it looks like he's 1/3 of the way ahead of me in restoration (better make that 2/3rds...)

Chats

Wow. Nice car. They've kind of grown on me a little since I saw my first one a few years ago.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Kenny Pinkerton
    1977 MGB
    1984 Alfa Romeo Spider
    1997 Acura Integra GS
    2000 Hyundai Accent GS

Chats

They're an acquired taste for sure. Their looks have always polarized people, but I think the older it gets, the better it looks!

Chats

I should have read this before I did my post in the newbie section....oh well.
    Let me STRONGLY recommend a conversion to rack & pinion. Easy to do when body is off and the improvement in steering control is night and day. Appears your storage for 40 years was dry; chrome, frame, etc. all look to be in fair condition. That was a great original color; there is a screen saver with a collection of brit cars that included one in Switzerland in that purple-grey.

Save your pennies Kenny, mine (present driver)will be on the market sometime next year, as soon as the resto in the 849 car is finished.

“Laissez les bons temps rouler”
    Dale-62 SP250 chassis #100849
    http://blogs.britishcarforum.com/DART/

Chats

Dale - did you do a 5-speed conversion also?
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Chats

Yes, Toyo supra, plus Lucas alt. headrest seats &amp; retrack belts.

Chats

Tell me about these belts. I've been thinking of mounting some, although I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible.

I don't think my wife wants to ride in it in modern traffic without some form of restraint.

I was always under the impression that if grease, rather than oil, had been used for the steering box, then it would become heavy. I drove an SP at a car show a number of years ago, and the steering wasn't too bad.

I do want to keep it very close to stock, and that would include staying away from rack and pinion steering.
    James
    1962 Daimler SP250

Chats

Understand the desire to keep close to stock. It isn't the heaviness as much as the 1/4 turn wondering; just not precise enough for me.
    I'm doing the belts for the same reason you mention, haven't bought them yet since they would be another thing to sit around until needed. Looks to us like they can be mounted on the high curve just forward of the top mechanism fastening location. Take a look at the belts used in later TR's and MG's the next time you are at a car show. Oh, also take a look at the GM late 90's-early 00's SUV/minivan high brake light. The one that mounted externally on the roof can be added to the trunk lid by the fuel fill and blends in nicely. And it adds some much needed stop light power. And add a flasher system too for the same safety reasons.

Chats

Interesting. So this means that mounting three-point instead of two-point belts is indeed possible.

Do you have pictures of the modifications to your car posted somewhere Dale?
    James
    1962 Daimler SP250