Thread: Paint....

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paint....

I'm hoping it's easier to paint the panels than the engine bay.........
    I found it really tricky getting paint in all the nooks and crannies, footwells and behind the dash....

One coat left to do.... top coat 3.jpgtop coat 2.jpgtop coat4.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Paint....

Looks like you've done a great job. Much better than it was done at the factory. Just imagine how difficult it would have been with out the rotisserie.....
    Rob Glasgow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question. Based on the holes in the bulkhead for the clutch and brake master cylinders, it looks like this is a left hand drive car, but the streering column brace is on the right side indicating a right hand drive. What am I missing?
    Also, if you're interested in correctness, the streering column brace should be painted flat black I believe.
    looks like you're off to a good start on this project. Almost makes me want to do another restoration.....
    Rob Glasgow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The panels are easier but little errors are magnified. My small amount of lead work looked perfect before painting but I quickly learned to shoot areas in question with a sandable light primer coat to see what it would really look like before the real prime coat. One nice thing about using a top finish of base coat / clear coat, if that is what you are going to use, is it applies way more forgivingly than some of the single stage paints.
    Your skills look up to the task. Nicely done. The only error I still get a bit of regret over is that I chose a metallic paint and it does take some skill I didn't develop until halfway through to avoid faint metallic "stripes". Most don't notice but I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes..doing a RHD conversion.... not bothered about correctness of minor details..just want a good solid car that looks and drives OK..
    16.10 (1).jpg This is what I started with..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    The panels are easier but little errors are magnified. My small amount of lead work looked perfect before painting but I quickly learned to shoot areas in question with a sandable light primer coat to see what it would really look like before the real prime coat. One nice thing about using a top finish of base coat / clear coat, if that is what you are going to use, is it applies way more forgivingly than some of the single stage paints.
    Your skills look up to the task. Nicely done. The only error I still get a bit of regret over is that I chose a metallic paint and it does take some skill I didn't develop until halfway through to avoid faint metallic "stripes". Most don't notice but I do.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.. I'm only painting the chassis , tub and probably the inside of the outer panels.
    I will get a pro to the rest.