• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yet another sneak peek into the....

Bret

Yoda
..... mind of a mad man.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Old & New
Manifolds.JPG

NewIntakeManifold.JPG

NewIntakeManifold2.JPG

Thoughts? Questions? But remember if I tell ya too much I'll have to kill you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nothing wrong with that! It solves ALL the Zenith Stromberg problems....or you could install a single HS-6!

Where'd you get it made? & the header?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Intake: Umm? Lets just say *Space Aliens at Area 51* for now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Exhaust: Moss Motors 3-1 short exhaust header PN#459-011.

But don't worry all that will come out as I get into my project.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I was gonna say something about the EGR, but then I remember you're running the EFI kit which is certified for use without the EGR.

I'm curious about the intake manifold as well. Has it been bench flowed and compared to the stock intake? I assume the threaded bars welded to the top of the intake are there for the various vacuum fittings, right? Just curious, why isn't the Gulp Valve fitting positioned dead center? I always saw the Gulp Valve fitting on the original intake as badly positioned and a source for uneven mixtures under engine braking or in the event of valve failure.

Still, looks like a slick setup. I've similar plans on the back burner while I take care of other stuff. One of which was definitely "reinventing" the MGB single carb intake manifold. So, I'll greatly appreciate the information when you finally reveal it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Nunyas said:
I was gonna say something about the EGR, but then I remember you're running the EFI kit which is certified for use without the EGR.

I'm curious about the intake manifold as well. Has it been bench flowed and compared to the stock intake? I assume the threaded bars welded to the top of the intake are there for the various vacuum fittings, right? Just curious, why isn't the Gulp Valve fitting positioned dead center? I always saw the Gulp Valve fitting on the original intake as badly positioned and a source for uneven mixtures under engine braking or in the event of valve failure.

Still, looks like a slick setup. I've similar plans on the back burner while I take care of other stuff. One of which was definitely "reinventing" the MGB single carb intake manifold. So, I'll greatly appreciate the information when you finally reveal it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Sorry, I haven’t done any bench flowing between the two intakes. Just didn't plan on that in my budget and I've already exceeded that. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

However, I suspect it’s still going to be a fast improvement over the old one. But where I’m hoping to really make the difference is in the freer flowing header exhaust. That in my opinion was the real limiting factor behind the combo intake/exhaust manifold’s design.

As for the threaded holes across the top of the manifold? You’re correct in guessing that those are for the various vacuum lines and accessories (gulp valve, brake check valve). But the truth is most will be blanked off. I just added them to be safe. The thing to remember is that this is Version 1.0, there’s probably going to be a few design reviews over the next few months before I give it a proper christening.

Point is I’m not looking to make any money out of this and am just sharing the information at this point.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Anything's a fast improvement over the factory Zenith Stromberg manifold setup!!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Anything's a fast improvement over the factory Zenith Stromberg manifold setup!!
true that! Still, inquiring minds want to know! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Another reason I’m doing all of this, is a concern about the availability of *good* manifolds at some point in the future. I know one guy that tried to locate a replacement for his cracked ZS manifold. I've been lucky but I've heard that they're known for that BTW. Anyway my friend bought several junkers, before finally finding one that was serviceable enough to use, but it ended up costing a heck of a lot of money and added heartache.

Also of concern is the poor build quality & price of the catalytic converters being sold as replacements for the OEM versions. There are a number of after market universal & performance cats available that are about half the cost. In fact I’m going to use what is called a Pre-cat in my application. Pre-cats are smaller than most cats and are normally used in areas where space is a concern and in conjunction with OBDII cat's farther down stream. Pre-cats are good for engines up to ~3.0L so it should be more than adequate for the B’s engine.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
So, yer gonna run a pre-cat and a cat?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Nunyas said:
So, yer gonna run a pre-cat and a cat?
Nope just a pre-cat.

I'm looking at one of Magnaflow's Universal 50000 (50004) Series catalytic converters. By themselves a single inline cat is rated for a 180 CID/3.0L engine in a 4500lb vehicle. I think the B falls well within that envelope of one cat's operation. Don't you?

Plus the Magnaflow cat is about an inch thinner than the OEM style and can be positioned just about anywhere in the exhaust. I'm probably going to weld it either in place of the down pipe after the collector or just after the elbow but that might require a heat sheild. Also because my car's been lowered I'll have to be careful about where I park. No grassy feilds if you get my meaning.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MEOW! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Careful gents, the MG Skunk works security detachment doesn’t have a sense of humor. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
would "rawr" be more appropriate? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif