• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yet another Newbie

BDavis

Freshman Member
Hello forum...
I'm a newbie and a Very Old MG fan. And of course have a question. I have a '71 MGB roadster but would prefer the early (65-67) dash. Would anyone know (or have made this conversion) if the dash from the '67 will bolt straight up to the '71 body? (without mods)
Thanks, Bill

Frazier

I too have a '71 Roadster, but have not considered the mod, so don't have an answer. But you've come to the right place. There is a vast amount of knowledge about the marque here, and you will have an answer soon. Welcome to the forum.

Frazier

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bill, welcome to the BCF!!!! Glad to have you on board. I wish that I could answer your question but I'm afraid I'm not certain. However, the old-style dash was fitted to home-market MGBs and certain export markets except for the USA until 1971, so I would imagine that it could be done with a minimum of fuss.

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
BDavis
Welcome. The answer to your question is NO. The 67 and older MGB's have a different steering wheel. The dash from the windshield to the face of the dash is also different. You would need to do alot of metal work and change steering wheels to fit a metal dash. The size of the speedo and tach is also different. The dash from a 73-76 with glove box and fresh air vents would fit your car.

Steve_S

Yoda
This conversion has been done but it's a lot of work. There is someone in Australia offering a kit. I don't remember his name but perhaps someone else here will.

OP
B

BDavis

Freshman Member
Well, drat!
But I sort of figured the simple mod was out. I have some of the bits, a wheel a few instruments and a dash but didn't think the wheel end of the steering column (ignition and all) was the same. And the poor old beater isn't worth the expense of the kit mentioned by Steve S.. so there ya have it. Thanks for the support and all your responses.
Bill.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi Bill -

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see another local in the mix. Don't know if you're the same Bill Davis who posted pictures from the Franklin show a couple of weeks ago, but I took the liberty and posted a link here. Also, if you're not already in the Nashville club, it's a good bunch of folks, and they offer a monthly drive/activity. Good source in information and assistance, too.

Mickey

OP
B

BDavis

Freshman Member
Hello Mickey..
Yes.. same Bill D. Thanks for the welcome to the fourm. I enjoyed the show in Franklin but wish I'd spent more time talking with the Jag folks from GB making the tour. Not a member of the Nashville Brit. Car Club (as of yet..) but have heard nothing but good things about it ...and have a number of friends among the membership. Also look forward to meeting you one day.

I hope it's okay here on the forum to plug an auto museum. (I have no affiliation.)
For anyone passing through or living close by I'd highly recommend the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville. It is a MUST SEE for anyone who loves automobiles. Especially several marques we very seldom see here in the USA. Google the name for more info.
Regards Bill.

79MGB16

Re:the simple mod

This might just be the simple mod you were looking for.

Here is a link to a site giving step by step instructions how he converted his 71 dash into a metal style dash using the original dash. Check it out as it may be of use to you. https://www.sopwithracing.com/metaldash.html

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag

That looks really good!
Now, what would a Midget 1500 look like under the 'pillow'?
Any chance of uncovering a similar dash??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Frazier

Thanks, Robert, for the url. This forum never ceases to amaze me. This is a mod I had never considered but these step by step instructions are incredible. Something definitely worth considering and seems more appealing than a dash overlay if mine ever cracks! Except for the purist of course.

Frazier

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
The problem with all the metal dash conversions from pillow dashes is the bolts along the top... I've fabricated a header rail for mine, alhtough my upholstery skills are pretty weak, so I'm not entirely happy with it. I'll probably do it over.
At least one other person has also attempted this, but I can't remember his name.

Even this is harder than you think... you run into things you didn't think of at first, like the gab between the dash and steering column is now bigger. And your console doesn't fit right anymore.

Anyway, I know more than I could ever want to about swapping and modding MGB dashes.

OP
B

BDavis

Freshman Member
Thanks Robert, Steve and Ed...
I enjoyed all the links you posted. I had no idea that the old 'pillow' could be removed to offer these possibilities. I see your point about the gap where the console meets (or doesn't meet) the dash.. and I would also like something a bit different along the top edge. ...Maybe the judicious use of burl walnut at both places?? Also the area to the right of the instruments looks a little lonely and plain but definitely has possibilities!

And someone was right about all the work to convert back to the early ones.. that's evidenced by the info at the autoist's site. Exactly what I was looking for though.

However you fellows have planted the seed. Terrific!
Many thanks gents.
Bill

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Here's another link:
https://shadetreemg.com/tech.htm

There you'll find my adventures in homemade steel dashes, as well as Tom Rynne's explanation on how to build a header rail (with pics).

I didn't build mine like Tom, but I do think his method is top notch.

Burl walnut would be nice for the console, but personally, I wouldn't want it on the crash rail for safety reasons. That's your call, though.

On mine, I'm actually converting a 72-76 style dash, so I'll be custom fabbing a glove box (when I get around to it).

OP
B

BDavis

Freshman Member
Another good link!
And very good description on/and technique for wrinkle painting there -Thanks, Baxter.

I expect you're right about wood not being the safest material for a "crash rail". But then a steel dash doesn't sound all that safe either does it? The solution... don't ride in the passenger's seat! (big grin) And of course if safety were the object here we'd be cutting a hole in the pillow dash (which we'd be keeping) just large enough for the installation of an Air Bag. (And next removing the speakers from the doors to replace with Air Bags etc.. etc.) NOT!
Better yet we drive carefully and enjoy the custom dash.

Again my thanks for such fine replies to my questions! I'm sure I'll have more.
Bill
Nashville, TN