• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Wrecked MGC-GT

MattP

Jedi Knight
Re: and another thing

I am sorry to hear about the car, but glad to hear you are OK.

I don't currently know of any CGTs for sale, but I am hoping to hit the MG races at Hallet come the first weekend in June, later in June I will be hitting the Petit Jean show, and there is usually some british stuff there, and final option, I do know of a BGT whose owner's wife is pressuring him to sell, but that one is extremely doubtful.

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
Do it the American way....Sue the (_______)!

I would also signout a warrant have the (_______) (__) (_) (________) charged with wreckless driving and see he and the family in the court room and ensure that he is off the road for at least a while.

There is no excuse! When my attorney friends got finished with him he wouldn't have a animal license.

Edit: Thankfully you and your wife are ok!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hate to hear about it - glad you & wife are okay...but, do go see a doctor just in case.

Oh, I've used USAA since 1967 - never had a problem with them; they're good people.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't believe the response o my incident...thank you all. When I wrote this..I think I failed to say that at the very beginning of this terrible day, I had a $7 winner scratch off ticket lying on the seat of the C. Stopped at my favorite C'store and normally would have cashed it in, boughtone more and a bottle of water. Decided to buy two tickets instead. First one...was a loser. Second one...the one I almost didn't buy, was a $2700 winner!! I about fell over. The plan was to go to Albuquerque early friday morning in the C(240 miles each way) redeem the ticket and go to a car show Sat. No car show now and I get to drive my rental car USAA has supplied me until my C is repaired or replaced...a Pontiac Vibe. I told the rental car folks I needed a paper bag to wear over my head so my friends wouldn't recognize me:>. Anyhow, the C started and was able to wobble....rack is trashed...backwards into my shop. It sounds beautiful but the entire front is trashed, valance,grille,bumper,minor puckers in front fenders...I'm sure the wire wheels are whacked. Plus the car is scraped from nose to tail and has dirt and grass impacted in every crevice. I called the Mall management office where it happened and thanked them for their security folks helping out and today I'll call the local PD and EMTs for their rapid response. By the way...no citations can be issued as it happened on private property..BUT...the mall is going to sue the kid and bring charges. That so I can have a strong legal case if needed. So far...so good...kind of. again...thanks for all your thoughts folks. Jack

Country flag
My wife's "take" on this would be that your bad luck occured to cancel your good fortune.

My "take" on it, is that your good fortune occurred to help offset the bad luck you were destined for.

Does that make sense?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - I recently sold the front inner body of an MGC GT to one of the guys at Moss who is restoring one...we cut it off up front by the horns...if he can rebuild that, I'm sure, with your expertise, you can bring her back from the grave one more time!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jack, you will find USAA a joy to deal with. Start your parts and time list. Go for new stuff in every case where possible. Afterall you are the man. Get top dollar for your time and full markup on parts. Then do as you please of course after the pay out.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wait... this all happened in the mall parking lot? I thought it started on the street or something?

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The truly important thing is, you and your wife are ok - although I'm certain you are incensed with the little jackass that wrecked you. I just wanted to add a few thoughts about settling/repairing your GT.
I don't know if you have collision coverage on the car. if you do and it is stated value, an option would be to settle with your own insurer and let them deal with the other insurer afterwards. I know, they shouldn't have to get involved but if the kid's insurer doesn't come up with a fair offer (and don't assume they will) then you can go this route.
If you have "regular" collision coverage then your company would pay "ACV", actual cash value, and you would not necessarily get any more from them than USAA.
USAA owes either the cost of repairs or if they consider the GT a total loss, they owe ACV. One thing you can do while waiting is to gather documentation to support the "ACV" of your GT. Ads from Hemmings, Collector Car, dealers, etc. Of course if you have had the GT appraised before that will help you. If they do "total" the GT and pay you the car is theirs to do with as they want-you can usually negotiate a buy back though, just work it out with them as you settle so you aren't surprised later. I have attached a link (I hope) to a CGT for sale (17.5K) at a dealer in Marina Del Rey, a few miles from where I'm at, just as a start for you - yours is probably a better example though!
All others; you may want to consider a stated value policy for your ride. The coverage is remarkably inexpensive and gives you some peace of mind. We all probably know someone like my friend; restored (frameoff and up)a 66 Charger that had been in his family since new and an UNINSURED motorist rear ended the Charger and totalled it. While emotionally draining, at least he had a 20K stated value insurance policy, which was paid promptly (and he did negotiate for the salvage)and then the insurer went after the deadbeat motorist. No, I don't sell insurance, I was in claims for 20 years though and learned a few things by exeprience. When I role out my completely restored Bugeye this summer, it will have a stated value policy! Good luck with everything, I believe it will work out well for you.
Regards
Roy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
https://www.chequeredflag.com/

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Long as you brought the subject up what do you think a Bugeye worth today restored?

Mine is a work in progress, need another 6 months or so I expect as I am trying to do it right.

And no it will not be for sale, hehe. Mine all mine. Just looked at those two on the above site for 17 and 18K, my word and they look nice but don't raise the bonnett, heh.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jlaird: The value of a Bugeye will depend on several factors and as always is often times dictated by what a buyer is looking for. The good news is, they keep appreciating in value. Also, big Healeys are going up like crazy and our little cars go along for the ride!
You saw the two the dealer had for sale and I agree with you, what do they look like under the hood? Another dealer in this area has one listed at 19K so will check back often to see if these cars sell. Given the care your car has received and know the reps of both dealers, I would think youe will be a much better vehicle that the three for sale out here.
There is an owner near me that restored a Bugeye to a faithful rendention of a Southern California "Airport Racer". In fact, that's what he calls the car and a photo of it has been posted on this site recently. It is an absolutely splendid example of careful work and attention to detail, wins awards wherever it goes and I'm sure it's a blast to drive as it has a rebuilt 948 with a Judson on it.
The owner turned down a solid offer of 35K for it not too long ago. I believe that would have included the trailer for it but it gives you an idea of where the values are going.
I don't know if mine would bring the same kind of expectations or not but like the Airport Racer, I'm building it for me. It is being dipped and media blasted as I type, a good straight tub (some rust repairs were made correctly)and I have the original engine and tranny etc. I'm the 3rd owner. It will be updated with a mildly modified 1275 (balanced etc.) a Datsun 5 speed conversion, header, minilite style wheels, front disc brakes and so on. There will be a couple of very minor custom touches added but absolutely no body mods. I'm going to paint it VW New Beetle Shadow Blue with silver racing stripes, so it will be far from a stock appearance. Again it's for me and I plan to drive it, although the subject post makes me a little nervous. I may have mine professionally appraised when it is completed this summer, if I do I will post it here for everyone. Roy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gotta pap up and say I agree with you Roy: Stated value policy for all in my inventory. I -insist- the photos be taken at time of insurance. Learned that lesson long ago and far away. Had an adjuster tell me: "Well if it's THAT valuable you should have stored it in the caves in Wampum!"

... I told him he obviously owned a Buick and read "Consumer's Report" religiously, as he sounded vaguely Communistic... he hung up on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This all started on the mall property..an access road or perimeter road. I'm thankfull we..including the kid in the other car, were not injured. I've injured people before while in the military...now I don't even hunt. As far as the insurance goes...USAA is on the ball, adjustor may be here tomorrow. My folks..The Hartford(geezer insurance) says no problem, if USAA drops the ball..they'll take care of everything and then go after USAA...but they don't foresee any problems. After all, I think they like all my policies I have with them..two or three for my wife, our r/v, my rollback truck..a Porsche and a Corvette..I think I'll get fair treatment.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hd dinner tonight with a friend who's a USAA adjuster....he said if you have a stated value policy there'll be no problem...if you don't have that, receipts, or proof of value from Hemmings, collectors, similar cars, etc....said he didn't know the salvage laws there but USAA will work with you to let you keep car.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been all over the internet tonite..for hours. Not looking good. Can't find a steering rack, mine sounds like its full of marbles and wheels aren't pointing in the correct position. When the car bounced over curbs, slammed down and bounced into the deep culvert..and then relaunched up the hill and went slamming onto the parking lot....I'm sure the wires need serious attention or replacing. I get sicker by the minute.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Just don't let an adjuster take advantage of how you feel and talk you out of getting what you deserve. They can be very sly people.

100 % NOT your fault. As I said, make the guy pay and pay well. Look at it as teaching an idiot driver a good lesson.

Bruce

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
UPDATE........dosen't look good. When the adjustor never showed by close of business...I called USAA...got the full run-around treatment..him,her,him..back toher and so forth. Finally the head female adjustor got on the phone and chastised me for driving such a rare car without better insurance??? I asked her if she had been voted my Mommie...she didn't like that. I'm tossing the C out into the yard with the rest of the dead and dying cars and giving up on the whole deal. Called my lawyer but hes not well and dosen't think it would do any good. I'm taking the rental back in the morning and goingto drive an old beat up Baja bug around. After it all shakes out I can probaly part the thing out and get a little money back. Thx. for all the help and thoughts. Jack

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - hard to believe USAA is like that but its time to get your insurance company on line to solve problem/pay you & then they can sue USAA!