• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

worked magic

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Took the front carb off and played with the throttle spring on the shaft so it was not pulling the shaft sideways.

Can now get idle to 500, whoooooooo.

Still working on mixtures. hehe.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All carbs preaty good now, runs well, just needs miles.

Wish I was happer with the mix but so goes life. Must have idle about 1200 so I can put the clutch in without stalling the engine drops about 400 RPM with clutch in as throwout is carbon and new, not glazed over yet, lots of friction.

However, that said is smooth and accelerates nice from any speed.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
And that is why I have always put a spot of grease on the throw-out bearing whenever I had it apart.
Bill

zimmy

Jedi Knight
my 1275 is idling exactly the same 1200 to 400!
i keep thinkin its gonna die, but if i raise the
idle, it wants to go too high like 14-1600...
all in all i think its probably running better than ever...not that theres not ALOT of room for improvement, but im happy for now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ...z

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that is a good idea, never thought of that spot of grease. Wonder if a bit of oil would work, I can shoot it in there.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Let it "seat" on its own, Jack.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Squealing when its pressed in Zimmy? You don't want to know what that means. When I first got my midget I had very little cluth when the peddle was pressed. I pulled the motor and the thowout bearing was worn though the carbon and 1/4" into the steel. Look at the bright side. Its still quicker to change out than on a 1275 mini.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
ive already changed EVERYTHING on the clutch system but the disk.....i believe it had a little something on it that has finally burned off.......runs great......
i WILL be pulling the motor again anyhow this summer to fix my "sticking in N" tranny and anyhing else needed.......z

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
here's my 2 cents: some times the squeal comes from the pilot bushing where the tranny meets the engine. if it continues to squeal, it usually means it's not seated or it's worn and you may have to replace it or reseat it (usually a PITA), but if it squeals then stops then most likely it seated and is fine.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Jack
I would NOT!!! squirt oil in there, you could really mess things up. (and besides your engine IS going to do it for you anyway!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Bill

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was being silly guys, I promise never to put oil in there.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
fmichaels, i believe that is exactly what happened, and all is well now.....works perfectly........z

bugimike

Yoda
As an emergency remedy, though, with oil leaking and causing clutch slippage (on a water-cooled Vdub), I did make the final couple of hundred miles home by periodically degreasing the clutch and T.O. with liberal squirts of "brake clean"! I was amazed at how well that brought the clutch back, at least enough to make it home!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way back when, we used to use TSP from a fire extinguisher at the drag strip. When I think what went through our lungs.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
fmichaels said:
here's my 2 cents: some times the squeal comes from the pilot bushing where the tranny meets the engine. if it continues to squeal, it usually means it's not seated or it's worn and you may have to replace it or reseat it (usually a PITA), but if it squeals then stops then most likely it seated and is fine.
The secrtet to removing a bushing from a blind hole like that is to find a rod that just fits in the hole, pack the hole with thick wheel bearing grease, start the rod in and then hit it with a large hammer. The bushing will squirt out onto the rod with the hydraulic pressure created. I used this and it worked like a charm and smoke even came out /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I know some use that little cage bearing with the needle rollers in it. I bet this would work on it with really thick grease and a sharp enough blow.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Simple physics.