• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA wheels

rondelp

Freshman Member
Country flag
1500, thinking of changing from disc wheels to wire. But need Moss conversion kit ~$1K. Minilite wheels suggested. Nice look.
so ?'s: look vs wire, effect on future value since not stock, found many Minilites for many cars but not MGA; ideas, do they require Moss conversinon kit like wire? ? thx, Ron

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
E27D8F8A-6CFD-4234-BB26-9A97692669F2.jpeg

OP
R

rondelp

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thx to both. Is that Moss conversion kit required; again disc wheels have a wider axle? the kit reduces width for wire. They seem to be more like disc wheels so perhaps no kit?? Ron

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would fit Dunlop style solid wheels with a center knock off.

Crazy idea. Those wheels are used only on Twin Cam and Deluxe cars and the wheels alone cost around $3K a set, then you have to get the four wheel disc brakes set up with hubs that they fit on (they are not splined, they are peg drive). You'd be looking at an $8K conversion. IF you could even find the parts to buy.

Much easier to find a pair of splined front hubs from an MGA. You'd also need the entire rear end (the width is different) although you could cheat and use Triumph adaptors to add wires to the rear.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I had a wire-wheel car in my early days, and I hated it. Spent too much of my life tuning those wheels. I've found steel disk wheels on British cars generally too flimsy, and they are often too narrow for modern tires. I put VTOs on my TR4A. They are not a period wheel, but the style is such that it seems appropriate for the car. Spending $1K at Moss for the privilege of having wheels that go out of true when you run over a pebble isn't something I'd like to do.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
1 - wire wheels are perfectly safe for street driving, but the more spokes the stronger they are. The original 48 spoke wheels aren't up to much. The sweet spot may be the 60 spoke wheels used on some Triumphs, but the best solution are 72 spoke wheels as used on TR6 - the only downside is they they look a little 'busy' with all those spokes.

2 - glad to see that we have given up on Twin Cam wheels. The repica ones have insufficient engagement length on the hub threads and are potentially dangerous. The originals, as I previously pointed out are unaffordable.

3 - consider some nice bolt on alloys. There are number of options. Be aware that having a knock off version means increasing unsprung weight as they use a solid machine adaptor that weighs more than the wire wheels do.