• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What exactly do these parts do?

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Ummm - they help the vendor extract money from people? Seems fishy to me.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I can not even imagine what they could possible do, but they do look good

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is it just me, or does "replaceable bearing accomodates plunge and rebound" sound like double-speak for "bearing will wear out quickly"?

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Pat,

the vendor has given a totally misleading description.

They fit on the top of the front damper usually with a spherical bearing to replace the original top mount. The ring of holes around the perimeter is so you can rotate the location to vary the camber of the strut. (Unfortunately it also affects the caster so who knows how the steering will react?)

Alec

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
But they're shiney; wheres my credit card!

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They're made for McPherson spring/shock assembly's.

They,re are not good ones.

Better are those:
domlager.jpg

G

Man, if I had "front end judder" I would have to have some of those babies. The ones with red on them are even prettier.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
If I was smart enough to play with the cambor/castor I would buy a sent cause they sure are cool looking, but I want Woody's Wilwood brakes first, and the Rimmer Alley Rol Bar, and those ..... welll as soo as I hit the Powerball Lottery

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
My vote goes to strut top mounts/camber adjusters. Problem is that there is so little clearance within the shock tower to move the stock strut assembly around. You move the strut even a little and your spring is rubbing up against the tower. To get any significant camber adjustment, you need to go to 2.5 inch coil over springs. I've used a similar device to locate lower control arms on Ford products. A shop put them in to square up the front end on my F150. I thought they were so cool that I put a pair on my TVR 280i. Those things always have a camber issue.

R

RonMacPherson

Excuse me, MAC Pherson strut spring design assembly.

Designed by an engineer who quit GM and went to work for Ford of England. They patented the design and gave him a good retirement.

Colin Chapman took the same design and patented it for the rear applications(Ford missed that one) and that's where the Chapman strut came from

Earl S. MacPherson(so close, my dad was Earl F. MacPherson, ah well, mebbe next lifetime)

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
A question. Years ago with the introduction of the MAC Pherson strut, it was touted as a superior design over the A-arms then used. I also heard it's design was more to reduce the cost of parts and assembly. The same arguments were put forth on front wheel drive.

What is the truth or opinion on this?

R

RonMacPherson

It is substantially less expensive to install a strut(MacPherson in front and Chapman in the rear) than double wishbones. And there are fewer parts wearing out. Properly designed and engineered on the installation it can track a car quite successfully. Look at Porsche, BMW, Japanese mfr' use of it on sporting vehicles.

One thing is that the initial engineering design needs to be spot on, as there is minimal adjustment(usually just a camber plate on top) when installed. So factory design has to be perfecto. Whereas the trailing arm has many different areas of adaptation/modification that can be performed.