• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So what exactly do I have here?

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Greetings,

I recently (like last weekend) picked up a 72 Spitfire project. See this thread,

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u..._thi#Post422612

Now that it's here it occurs to me that I really don't know much (think anything) about these cars. What kind of motor is it, are the assorted parts worth any trouble to people or are they toss-able? As you can see from the links there is a lot of fabrication in my future so originality of the driveline is out the window but what else should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance, Dana

D

DougF

You are fortunate to have found a rust free body. The first thing you want to fabricate are support brackets welded between door openings front to rear on both sides. From the picture, yours does not appear to have these. They keep the body from sagging while off the frame.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
DougF said:
You are fortunate to have found a rust free body. The first thing you want to fabricate are support brackets welded between door openings front to rear on both sides. From the picture, yours does not appear to have these. They keep the body from sagging while off the frame.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about that IF the body truly is rust-free. I have a Mk3 Spitfire tub that has -- literally -- been kicking around various barns and other storage areas since at least the early 1980s. Last fall, my son and I started in on a Spitfire 6 project. We did a quick drop of the body onto the GT6 chassis and fit up doors (from a different Spitfire Mk3). The doors fit perfectly.

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
The body is in pretty good shape, only a few spot holes here and there, some surface rust under carpet etc.

What can anyone tell me about the motor? It has a bent push rod and a valve stuck open. I'm thinking those two are related to each others problem. Are these motors used in other applications?

Things like the seats, the top and support bars etc are all in good shape. Are these parts needed by others?

Thanks, Dana

TR4

Jedi Knight
All those good parts you list are of value to someone with a Spitfire. Your question about the motor makes me ask if you are wondering where to get parts to rebuild the head? Are you aware of the Big 3 Suppliers?

Moss Motors
The Roadster Factory
Victoria British

There are many others such as British Northwest I believe.

Or are you asking if the motor would be of value to others?

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Value to others is my question.

The chassis has been so cut up that re-installing the original rear is out of the question. So as long as I'm fab-ing a new rear I plan to replace the motor with something, most likely a rotary.

Dana

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
I have a stock '72 frame. I think it's pretty solid. Not sure if I'm going to make the '08 Challenge as of yet,(CO-Fla) but transpo may be available. I have most of the parts to make it back to stock if you are interested and patient.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The 1500 Spitfire engine is no prize. That makes it a good candidate for a transplant. I have fantasized about putting a toyota 1600cc twin cam in one with a five speed.

I have a frame under a 72 that you can have if you care to get it from me here in Spartanburg, SC. The body is still on it right now. The front end cross member is rusty, but I think the rest of it is OK. You could transfer any parts you need from yours for the front.

D

DougF

Several years ago Grassroots Motorsports magazine ran a series of articles where they transplanted a Mazda rotary into a Spitfire. I think they used it primarily for autocross.
There is a fellow that has been to TRF Summer Party in the past with a rotary Bugeye. Quick!
You would definitely want a solid frame.

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
So do you think I should advertise the motor locally and get the lump gone? I hadn't thought of a new frame, but mine is ok except for the cut up rear. Since I'm thinking about a whole new rear IRS anyway it shouldn't be an issue (note the use of the word "shouldn't")!

Loveland Pass to Gainesville is quite a pull, but the good news is the 09 Challenge is West of the Mississippi.

Bill, I may actually be in Charlestown in the near future to get some other parts, I may contact you if I decide to change build plans. Thanks,

Thanks for the info, keep the suggestions coming,
Dana

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Hi Doug, yea the RoSpit. A friend of mine is trying to pull all his back issues. I'm hoping to save a lot of development work by copying theirs.

My wife is also a Bugeye fan. Wirewheel had one down here with a rotary in it, I almost got her to spring for it.

Dana

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
Well Tim Suddard, who built the rotospit, is down in Florida. As is GRMS. They answer the phone and all sorts of nifty things like that.

Talking about casually swapping in another IRS isn't realistic, unless you're really familiar with the job.

Though from your description so far, finding a wrecked Miata or such to pull the entire drivetrain from and set it into a Spitfire makes a lot of sense. Fwiw, Tim was talking last year about doing another Spitfire project perhaps, and using a Miata engine this time.

If you go onto the GRMS board you can find dhess (not dr hess), who built a very fast turbo 2.3 Ford powered Spitfire for the 2007 challenge. Solid axle rear, from a TR7 as I recall.

For bragging purposes, I've riden shotgun in the rotospit autocrossing. Brian and the rotary Midget are just down the road from me, and I've ridden in that as well. And I've driven the turbo 2.3 Spit. Dang I'm a lucky guy!

P.S.
If you're coming to Charlston, look up Jensonman on the GRMS board. He built the abomination, another rotary powered Spitfire for the 2006 challenge.

G

How about something like a Honda VTEC, like Joe Curry's Franken Spit. That sucker screams. Fun to hear a Spitfire red-lining over 10,000 rpm.

vtec.jpg

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Hi Fox, yea lucky is certainly the word for it! If Jensonman is Mike I've been trading emails with him. I might liberate some of the parts from his Opel project for my needs.

Bill I've considered some other drive lines but I'm limited by the $200X budget. I've already pumped way more than I expected in my Factory Five so I really want to stick to my budget.

Thanks, Dana

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If memory serves, Joe said he took the Honda motor back out. Something about not being competitive, don't recall the details.

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Dana,...Spitfire and GT6 Magazine has a website with a bunch of information,... They used to have a link to Engine swaps, that might be of interest.
Seems like the Grass Roots group was selling a combination of all issues that had articles about the RoSpit. I'd be willing to bet they've still got'em.
Looks like You've got a Long term project ahead of you,...GOOD LUCK!
Bob

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don't forget that the GRM RoSpit ended up costing something like $27,000. No within the 200x budget. I think the rear suspension ended up costing quite a bit.

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Bob I called about the back issues, they have a listing of the articles but not a purchase package. My friend has every issue since he started subscribing and anything he's missing I'll order from GRM.

Bill I know the RoSpit cost them a bunch, but they also didn't cut any corners. With the $200X budget I'll probably not be able to produce the refinement they did. I was hoping to eliminate some cost and development by using a completed Miata IRS rather than design and fabricate something from scratch.

On another note I contacted a woman I met here in town. She and her husband race Sprites and other vintage cars. She seems to think some of her friends could use a stock motor as a base for some of the less modified classes. With a bit of luck I can move this motor to a new life in a new home soon.

Dana

OP
Dana_Duncan

Dana_Duncan

Freshman Member
Greetings All,

First time back here since the forum upgrades, looks nice. I thought (hoped) some folks here might like an update.

We built a full sized table and bolted the entire frame down to it on blocks. I taped down contruction paper and using a framing square and plumb I dropped some center marks for my front spindles. I clamped a 3/4 square bar for my rear axle center line and used that to measure and square the car. We temp't the body back on to make sure the Miata sub frame would fit in. It's going to be close but hey for a $200X Challange car it'll work fine. Right now I'm using blocks to fit the rear sub frame, when it's right I'll bolt it down to the blocks and use 3"x1 1/2" box to tie it to the Spitfire frame.

Sorry, no pictures yet but I'll get some up soon. On that note does anyone know any good hosting sites? I used to use Clubphoto but I got creamed when they shut down.

I'm still well within the budget and pushing forward. Be back soon.

Dana