• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR What Did You Do to Your Triumph Today?

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Was finally a decent Saturday morning to run the TR4A to Cars and Coffee. Big turn out so everyone was thinking the same thing....spring is here...pollen and all.

Attachments

• CarsandCoffee2.jpg
    CarsandCoffee2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I am taking the TR250 to the muffler shop. We are having the exhaust system done. (with dual exhaust).

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Got the bonnet on. No rain tomorrow so off to the muffler shop.
IMG_0118.jpg

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Dan, looking good, you are at the fun (its all starting to come together) but stressful (don't scratch the pretty new paint) part. Are you going to paint the stripe yourself? That was one of the more stressful moments for me, all that nice paint, and I am going to mask it off, hopefully even and symmetrical, hopefully sealing well, so paint won't bleed, hopefully the silver will stick and won't have any sort of adverse reaction with the color coat. To make it a little easier (if you are not there already) auto body supply stores sell tape in specific widths including the width that is supposed to be between the two thin outer stripes and the inner stripe (can't remember what it is, but know you can get the right width) this stuff is made for painting cars, seals off well, and also goes around corners and compound curves, so I used it for the two masked off areas between the three stripes as well as the on the two outer edges of the whole stripe ensemble, then supplemented the thin pin stripe tape with some masking tape then paper.

Spent 2-3 hours positioning the tape, fun fun, but I think it turned out OK. Measure twice paint once or something like that!

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I am going to repaint the bonnet lay down the stripe then clear coat the bonnet and both wings. There is a imperfection that I did not see until the car was out of the paint booth. I will be getting stripe paint this week.

PeterK

Yoda
Still have 2 feet of snow in front of my TR shop. The 3A is asleep in the upper bunk. BWAAA

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
Today I drove the TR4A to the CAM (California Auto Museum) in Sacramento. It is a 30 mile round trip. I volunteer there working on their cars that they use for events. (It doesn't get much better) Today I worked on a '58 TR3A. It was donated to the museum and will be sold in the near future. Obviously they are worth more in running condition so we help where we can to accomplish this. A new staring solenoid was installed today along with a few other items. Some routine tune up still needed to be done. Working with old cars equals a good day!

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If someone donates a car to a museum and the museum turns around and sells it, is that kosher? Perhaps the donation to the museum contemplated a future sale, but that sounds odd.

Dan

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
There are no surprises as to the disposition of cars donated to the CAM. Obviously there are IRS considerations. It is interesting that you responded as the TR3 has Hawaii plates.

PeterK

Yoda
If someone donates a car to a museum and the museum turns around and sells it, is that kosher? Perhaps the donation to the museum contemplated a future sale, but that sounds odd.

Dan

If you donate a car to a museum, they see it as a contribution and if money makes more sense to them at the time, they sell it.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Today we drove a short distance to take some photos of the car for a publication. Such a warm sunny day. Tried to get interior shots- with a top on the car it is difficult, too much shadow.

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Today I played look under the dash at all sorts of different colors. One of the wiring diagrams I have says it has 10 colors and the other one has 12. No complications there!!! Haha

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Today the wife and I enjoyed a leisurely drive in the TR3. Top down, sun out, not too hot, not too much pollen and lots of thumbs up. Thanks to John, I now have relatively accurate speed and tach -ometers. My temperature gauge is steady at 185 and it's running great. Crossed off another 5 pictures of my challenge sheet.

At 3,000 RPMs, in 5th gear, I'm cruising at 70mph -and I can tell just by looking at the dash!

Any day you spend a few hours in a TR3 is a great day.

TRWisco

I really dislike WI right now. too cold for a vert, ground is too soft to get the car out of its shed. salt on the roads yet.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On Sat, I removed the windshield assembly from my 6. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, once I was able to get the two rods loosened up with some gentle tapping via hammer.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I just finished installing Moss's Restrosound stereo and speakers in the TR3. I built a console out of 18 guage steel that fits under the dash like the original but with opposing speakers like an E type . Waiting for the snow to melt here.