• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weird oil leak. Imagine that.

milomind

Freshman Member
After doing 95mph down the highway to meet a guy about a new hood for my 72 MGB, I suffered a weird oil leak between my engine and the gearbox. It's coming from the engine. I know because my oil pressure was very low, and after checking, nearly out. I refilled and did a "liquid" fix of some leak stop thickener. It slowed, but I'm not ready just yet to put her up for the winter, for her nearly annual engine pull(gotta learn to love it!). Rear main? that's my bet. Any advice?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"Any Advice", Yeah Slow Down and have the Speedo Repaired---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
milomind

milomind

Freshman Member
I was late! I hate driving out in traffic on the X-way anyway. Kill or be killed. When I was going 80 to 85, I was in danger of being plowed by tractor trailers making last second lane changes. You've never driven Louisville to Cinncinnati.

WJM

You must be hard on hoods 95mph. Poor little MG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Missouri722

Freshman Member
I'd bet on the rear main bearing. There is a rear main seal also, but I suspect the bearing itself is worn if the oil pressure is low unless the oil pressure is simply adjusting to a limited supply of oil. However, bearing wear is usually gradual. I gather this came on suddenly.

If your 72 is the high compression engine type, at 95 you were just getting warmed up. I had a 70 high compression (still have the engine). I think the yellow line was at 103 and it was easy to bury the speedometer. Outran a Camaro Z28 one night on a long hill (going uphill) doing 115. After reaching the top and flattening out, all he ever saw were the taillights. A sheriff's deputy freind of mine caught a B on radar doing 130 one night. No performance modifications to my car except an Ansa extractor and regular tune ups.

8NFord

Sorry, but you rattled my cage. I enjoy driving my 77 B, 73 Triumph Stag, and 65 Mustang GT. Having said that, it is people that have no respect for the law or sane driving that cause accidents like the one that put my now 21 year old daughter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif in a condition such that she will require permanent care for the rest of her life. Unfortunately while my daughter was on leave from the Navy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif (straight A student, class leader in the Navy, etc.) she was struck by a car that the driver was both drunk and "distracted" by other activities inside the car. This happened in the great state of Illinois which is a "no-fault" insurance state. The driver and her married boy friend are going on there merry way, without even a thought to the lives they have ruined. Do I sound bitter, well maybe I am - but with cause and justification. I just ask that you think about the possible results the next time you decide to go 95 or 130 mph. Yes, you may kill or injure yourself, but think about your family, and the others out there on the road.

I am finished an off my soap box. Happy motoring!

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well said 8NFordman.
I was biting my tounge when I read both posts.. Thought some folks from the "Civic" site had slipped across.
Dangerous driving is NOTHING to be proud of. I would hate to see either of you two on the 401 in Toronto.
And... an MGB.... going 115 MPH.... UPHILL !!!! passing a Z28. Better call Aesop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

WJM

Well Boys you have said it all. These little cars are great but not at that sort of speed. But anyway everyone to there own. happy motoring. Regards John. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
"Any Advice", Yeah Slow Down and have the Speedo Repaired---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I have seen my Speedo banging on 100 in my B. I guess if I thought I had a real race car, I might have believed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Instead, I got somebody to drive along at 50 and let me pace them. Found I was doing 75 when I paced them at 50. Wow!! What a FAST car! So now I commute at 80 - 90 MPH... get to work MUCH faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif 90XJ-S / Klutz

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif---Keoke

OP
milomind

milomind

Freshman Member
Ok, ok. Going fast, bad. I get it. But I don't go that fast at all very often. Everybody's been in a speeding situation from time to time. I just used my speed to illustrate what might have caused the problem. I am a good mechanic, and a good driver. I just wanted to know if anyone had had a similar leak between the gearbox and engine, and what they found. You can peddle your "for show, not for go" to someone that doesn't know how to tune an engine. Now go tell Cecil Kimber his cars can't go that fast, and weren't built for motorsports, or better yet, go tell Sterling Moss.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You are not Cecil or Sterling Moss so quit playing like it on the Xway. Say guys did Moss ever set any records on the X-Way???----Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
hey, i've driven I-71, and people do drive like morons on that stretch of road, so i know he;s not kidding. But i love my mgb and would never drive it like that even when it was new. try going across the river to floyds knobs, indiana whare there are no straight roads and plenty of hills and follow S.R 62 to S.R. 56 to cinci, if your in a B, who cares how fast, gettin' theres the fun

OP
milomind

milomind

Freshman Member
Actually, not to try to excuse the fact that I was speeding. Sterling Moss's chiropractor wrote a story for a car magazine that discussed how even being close to 70, Sterling was still a formidable driver, and capable of driving on roadways very quickly, and with authority.
I'll have to paraphrase. Apparently Sterling and this doctor were driving down one of the M's in England, doing about a hundred, when the doctor said he realized Moss was going to take the next exit. Sterling threw the car into a four wheel slide through the exit, not slowing down. While he was doing this, he ejected a cassette from the stereo, and threw it in the floorboard. He then picked up another cassette, looked to see if it was the one he wanted, put it in the stereo, and pulled out of the slide continuing at speed down the freeway they had just gotten on. Now I don't say anywhere in any of my posts that I think I am Sterling Moss. I highly respect the man, and his racing, far too much to consider myself as good a driver as him. I am a very respectful driver, I signal my turns, and I am for the most part respectful of the law. However, I like to DRIVE my B, and do so every day, and know plenty of roads to do it on. So if you want to play holier than thou traffic cop, go ahead. I just wanted to know if my rear main seal had blown, Officer.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gentlemen ,let me leave us with a thought for today."Those That Do not Learn From History are Doomed to Repeat it"---Keoke

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
I find this interesting.I do think the speed laws are there for a purpose.Mind you on some isolated rarely travelled road it is tempting to blast a bit faster.I admit to that especially since it is soooo easy in the Lister.Figure this I'm having 1 HP per 10 pounds of weight plus a huge amount of torque (330 foot pounds) to push through the air.However I do find that age has mellowed me and I find 80 MPH quite fast enough for me.After that I'm not a happy driver as I tense up and do not enjoy my ride.
and its sunny

Missouri722

Freshman Member
First of all, I wish "boy" would still apply here, but youth is a vague memory. Second, most of my MGB, MGA and MGC fun was SCCA racing events in the late 60s and early 70s. Lastly, I was on the 401 last night (travel extensively) in my National Rent A Car at 110 kmh and was passed like I was standing still several times and noticed many of them would tailgate when I was passing someone else and pass on the right with fast maneuvering while my turn signal was on to get back into the right lane. There are 2 or 3 places in my travels that I'm constantly watching for people changing lanes at high rates of speed and passing on the right. One is Houston, the other is Dallas and the last is the 401. I'm quite certain that many enthusiasts here enjoy opening up their cars under safe conditions. The fault in the post above was from distraction which can be deadly at any speed. By the way, my sympathy for your daughter. I hope, as I'm sure everyone does, that medical science finds some way to help both of you.