• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hot Throttle Linkage [I've got a weird one...]

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Yoda, Jedis, and assorted underlings...

I was just starting my Healey up for the first time. beside the normal timing issues... I never actually got it started, because......

The throttle linkage between the firewall and the intake manifold became extremely hot, as in burn your fingers hot. The manifold is cool, the exhaust is cool, no wiring is melting... Just this linkage shaft between the firewall and the intake manifold...????

A grounding issue... phase of the moon?!?!?
A Jedi Hopeful in need... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JAV

Silver
Country flag
To answer the grounding question...Is there the proper ground cable from frame to the starter bolt? Hopefully not just tightened down on fresh paint.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Reid.... thanks for the clarification on the Post... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
If the engine to frame ground strap is missing or not making good connection, the choke cable & throttle linkage will be providing ground return for the starter & the generator. Choke cables have been known to get red hot.
D

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jay... the grounding strap appears to be solidly bolted to the chassis and to the bellhousing. I did grind off the paint but that is a good place to start....Thanks

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Oh great one, Yoda Dave. As always, a wealth of information... Have you thought of getting a life... I know I need one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
On a serious note... The starter works fine and would not if the grounding strap were less than contiguous... As far as I know, there is only one strap between the engine and the chassis...the one mentioned... is there another that I have so carelessly neglected to install???? I am truely, thanks to your suggestions, thinking that I have a grounding issue...
Mixed emotions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Ron,
I have already had a long & busy life. Now it's time to relax & fool around with this stuff.

I don't know about any other ground strap. One of the few reasons for only this particular part to get hot is that it is carrying partial starting or charging current. Try connecting a temporary battery jumper cable from engine block to battery ground.
D

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Dave.... here, here.... Me too. Had As, Bs, and Healeys before Marriage and kids... with the kids grown and gone and the marriage, well, gone... Now 'tis time for me.... Love it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Thanks Dave, I will try that out... Guess I am surprized that I would be carrying current accross the linkage when it is isolated, somewhat, through a rubber bushing on the firewall. It make be picking it up from the throttle arm that rests against the firewall or, for that matter, the throttle peddle itself...

Thanks again... I was only kidding with the 'get a life' comment. Don't want to irritate a Yoda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Dave, Thanks for the suggestion about the temp cable. I tried it and found that the linkage no longer hacted as a shunt between the engine and chassis. Now... I need to make sure that I get the permanent ground straightened out so that I don't drive around with a jumper cable dragging on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Just an update and a lesson learned...

The grounding strap that is fastened to the engine/chassis apparently is a resistive contact. The engine cranked over well before I hooked all of the linkage up because the strap was the only path. Once the link was installed and fastened down, the path resistance was less between the linkage and the block than the strap so it is carrying the lion's share of the load... Thanks for your comments and suggestions.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Piman... you are absolutely correct...

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Soooo... OK, Problem fixed... When I finally crawled under the car to check it out.. I discovered that my business partner had bolted the cable very loosely so the grounding strap was really not even connected. Soooo the poor ol' linkage became the primary path... el Fixooed

Thanks for your help

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All I can add to this correspondence is that many years ago when I was learning about my Healey (do we ever stop?)I had a constant problem with slow cranking. At that time, this was a common ailment with the Healey 100. One day, when I had finished doing something on the transmission and had the tunnel removed, I cranked the motor and was surprised, no, shocked to see sparks flying off the clutch rods! Fitment of an earth strap cured this and the slow cranking.
My compliments to Dave, you are a patient man.