• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weapons of Mass Destruction Have Been at Work

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
I know it's a pita, but you need to drill out those spot welds in the bulkhead stiffener. Whet you cut the top of the stiffener don't go above the plane of the rear deck since the stiffeners are a little shorter than the originals. Once that's been removed you can get a good idea of the bulkhead condition and when you cut it out leave a little extra along the top since it's a lap joint. In the area of the spring box to bulkhead fit go ahead and make that part a little deeper since the spring components are Bugeye and the bulkhead is later Midget. Find a good place to make a weld along the part of the bulkhead that's left on the tunnel side. Also drill out the spot welds where the old bulkhead joins the inside B pillar and sill and mark this angle so you can put it back the same way.
This is mostly drilling, grinding, cutting and wire wheeling...dirty work in prep for welding in new metal. Clean all of this area really well...Jasco makes a good conditioner/prep and then prime with weld thru. I know you're going to neutralize any surface rust inside the bulkhead area, but after you do go back in with a good inner chassis coating to keep it rust free for a long, long time.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Rut,

On the inner rocker side there are big honking Spot welds that attach the bulkhead stiffener to a new piece of Bulkhead panel. Unknown at this point if there are welds connecting the Bulkhead stiffener to the Spring box. Lots paint and crap on the top preventing good sight lines time to get out the wire wheel or whizzer wheel on the Angle grinder and see if I can spot those welds. More to follow after I get out the Weapons of Mass Destruction again along with face shield and a mask to cut down on inhalables.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Thats about the only way to really get a good idea of the spot weld location. Remember that the welds go thru all 3 pieces (or should)!
edit: this may give you a good idea of where those welds are located.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 50

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim,
Thats about the only way to really get a good idea of the spot weld location. Remember that the welds go thru all 3 pieces (or should)!
edit: this may give you a good idea of where those welds are located.
Those are some great shots. I looked for that angle on many a search.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut, my challenge for this weekend. Lot of spot welds to drill out. Spot weld cutter will be challenged by that bulkhead brace. Will need to figure that out. I'm wondering if through welds were done when parts of the bulkhead were replaced. Bottom spring plates were just bolted on not through welded to the spring boxes. We'll see.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
I bought a few drill bits from my local welding supply shop and they did a much better job than the spot weld cutters. IIRC, I only used 2 bits on the entire car.
Rut