• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Vin TS for the car.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I am back with this post because the British Heritage would not give up the vin number. They felt it was fraud. They did say there was a more involved way to find out more information on a vehicle, but they did not say I could get this information with only the engine numbers and it cost twice as much. The place sounded like some kind of original British car manufacturing place with far more detailed report, but again not sure if they will look with just an engine number. I heard Mike Ellis on the TR Register Forum has access to the factory documents. Perhaps Mike Ellis would help if I knew him.

It sounds like using the engine number would be a good number to use for a vin and get a blank plate from Moss and stamp it because there would be no other vin with those numbers, maybe. I will check with the state auto license and see what they suggest to do after I make up a vin with the engine number.

A couple of years ago, I took a title in for different tr3 for licensing the people said it would take a while because the car is not in the computer system and they needed to put the car in the system. The problem now is I have no title; maybe they will let me apply for new title because of the newer computer stuff . Not sure how to take advantage of the car not being in the computer system for many years. Perhaps I could say I lost the title and use the engine number and see where that goes. I prefer to be honest, but I see no other way to get my new rust bucket titled. I would like to have the original vin, but probably not doable, but like said it should be something like TS378xx. I will try the vintage triumph register, I used to get their magazine

steve

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
NCDMV did indeed accept the paperwork I had, so all is now well. I did need both the Ellis build sheet to get the Comm number from the Engine number... BMH wouldnt do that.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Jim what is the Ellis build sheet?

steve
Mike Ellis in the UK TR Register forum. For a few bucks he gets you data from the original factory records, such as engine to Comm number matching that BMH won’t do.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Replaced the ash that is (my other hobby is woodworking)

Attachments

• 46315B9C-4744-4A85-8370-11D99189FFDD.jpeg
    46315B9C-4744-4A85-8370-11D99189FFDD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Charley, I did one side on mine and would be interested in your upgrade. Perhaps I'll do the other side some day.
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The upgrade I speak of has to do with the tonneau cover studs located on the side of the doors. I placed a small metal plate below each stud. You would need to remove a small amount of wood and then attach the metal plates with small screws. Then when you mount the studs you drill a hole using the hole in the door as your guide. This allows you to screw the stud into metal instead of wood.
This could work to "repair "an existing set of wood inserts.
Charley

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Well I am back with this post because the British Heritage would not give up the vin number. They felt it was fraud. They did say there was a more involved way to find out more information on a vehicle, but they did not say I could get this information with only the engine numbers and it cost twice as much. The place sounded like some kind of original British car manufacturing place with far more detailed report, but again not sure if they will look with just an engine number. I heard Mike Ellis on the TR Register Forum has access to the factory documents. Perhaps Mike Ellis would help if I knew him.

It sounds like using the engine number would be a good number to use for a vin and get a blank plate from Moss and stamp it because there would be no other vin with those numbers, maybe. I will check with the state auto license and see what they suggest to do after I make up a vin with the engine number.

A couple of years ago, I took a title in for different tr3 for licensing the people said it would take a while because the car is not in the computer system and they needed to put the car in the system. The problem now is I have no title; maybe they will let me apply for new title because of the newer computer stuff . Not sure how to take advantage of the car not being in the computer system for many years. Perhaps I could say I lost the title and use the engine number and see where that goes. I prefer to be honest, but I see no other way to get my new rust bucket titled. I would like to have the original vin, but probably not doable, but like said it should be something like TS378xx. I will try the vintage triumph register, I used to get their magazine

steve
Use the vtr.org trace carts link above (that’s the Mike Ellis link I believe) with the engine number. The paper you’ll get back will have the comm number, with which you can send off to bmht. Then you’ll have two correlating certificates to go to the dmv with.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Jim and thanks for helping. I went to the VTR.org but could not find the correct link. If you have time, can you provide the link again? I could not find the correct link.

Thanks Steve