• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Unhappy camper

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Moss page 74

Item 1a 249-810 Door seal, red woven 6 yards 93.60

Hate to say it folks but this stuff is doggy. The inside clip strip is so soft (alum. maybe) that it does not grip and clamp to the body properly. It just spreads and stays spread as you install it. Unless I am missing something.

Otherwise is good stuff, outer red welting is nice and the rubber seal is fine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've not tried it yet but plan on doing so when the Midget goes back together..did you try reclampig it?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The u shaped metal in side the welt that is supose to grab the body with sharp points is soft metal and binds easly. Shucks you can bend it with your fingers. I should think it should be very springee and clamp tightly. Even pressing it together after it is on does not work.

At this point I don't know who has good stuff but do not recommend this at all. This is so loose that if you bump it it comes off. Looks good though.

It is very unlike the orginal, the orginal was like spring steel and you played heck getting it off once installed.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I intend to use MacGregor for my red door seal. Got my black from AH Spares and it worked well.

Country flag
I thought Moss was now reselling MacGregor's stuff.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Ask them, but if Jack is right and what he has is aluminium, then not, as MacGregor says steel.

Peter

Country flag
I ordered mine from Moss because a Moss distributor told me that they were from MacGregor. I have not put them on yet, but they are steel of some sort (I checked with a magnet).

However, these are the black bristleflex (sp?). Maybe the red is different.

I'd call Macgregor and see what he suggests.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
I have Mac's samples and color doesn't matter. Steel good, aluminium not so.

Goos to know Moss has them. They should.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
I have samples with red that says, Red coming soon.... March of 2006.

Must be as good at website development as I am.

Peter

Country flag
When I talked to him at MG2006 I think he had red. But that has been a few years ago and my memory is not so good anymore.

Country flag
But I would call him. When it comes to small vendors/manufacturers I prefer a phone conversation to get the right part.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Yes, his website still shows his Canadian prices about 30% above US... guessing it's been a while since he's updated it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is Alum by looks and is not magnetic. Is soft and easly bent as well, will not retain its shape.

Do not order the number in my orginal post, you will be unhappy.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's Martin MacGregor's response to my email this morning.

"..we make 8 colours in 3 sizes of our new "Bristleflex" doorseals so far , including the perfectly - fitting maroon red ones for your Sprite MK 1. The web site site badly needs updating -- sorry. Current price is $148.00 Canadian per pair plus post and packing.."

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moss does sell McGregor (as do I)...problem is delivery...some of those McGregor parts can take 6 weeks or longer & when he's trying to complete a large Moss order, forget it!