• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Nissan Differental installation

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Well I am biting the bullet, again and going to install the Nissan 200 viscous limited slip differential, and only after I bought a rebuilt TR6 unit about 3 years ago and I am tired of the clunking/lunking of the original differential.

I found one from a 2000 Q45 with 90,000 miles on it, It feels really tight and looks like it is brand new with a little dirt on it, 350.00 I already have the CV half shafts. Anyone done the conversion and if so did you have the new differential unit checked by the Infinity place or any shop first? I will replace the front seal and since I took the front yoke off and didnt mark the nut in relation to the pinion I will have a shop install a front seal and set the preload once I get the front yoke machined to accept the TR6 Drive shaft flange

Looking forward to this project
and any positive comments
Hondo

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Didn't you already do all that on another car? You were giving me advice while I did mine. It was a great opportunity to weld on those extra support pieces, clean up the entire area, rebuild the shocks, POR15 the frame, etc.

It took forever, but it's awesome. Just finished my OD; now fuddling with my fuel gauge.

One day soon I'll be bragging. But not before I get more education from everyone here. What a great resource. A great hobby.

Attachments

• 28522.gif
    28522.gif
    96.5 KB · Views: 550
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Thanks Bob I knew I had read that somewhere, the only thing I did was got ahead of myself and took the front pinion nut off and didnt punch the nut and shaft so I have to figure out how to set the preload on the pinion or, take it to a transmission shop or nissan shop and have them install a new pinion seal and set the preload

thanks
Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I got a new pinion seal yesterday for the R200 differential, the Nissan place wanted 25.00 for it and the Infinity place had one in stock for 18.00, cant believe the Infinity place was cheaper, also I sent the pinion flange off to Richard Good to be machined, he has all the parts on the shelf for the conversion,and I should see them by first of the week, so I think if it quits raining I will get the drive shaft out to have is shortened by 2 inches, and I will make the reinforcing plates for the mounts and hopefully with my MIG welder I can weld them in myself!

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I made my differential boxing pieces today, no pics, not worth posting
when I get the differentialout and the welding in progress the pic and progress will be forth coming

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well the insides are done, that was a choir, now the outboarbrackets, these are going to be difficult at best

Attachments

• 28585.jpg
    28585.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 302
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
and the other side, now one more Drink and more cusing and welding

Attachments

• 28586.jpg
    28586.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 317

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Continue on, but what you've already done has taken the flex and springiness out of the bracket, which is the whole idea.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
finished, the welds on the outboard side didnt look quite as good but its better than without the brackets, so now the hard part, cleaning up

Once I get the rest of the parts the new R200 will go in so pics coming on that too

Hondo

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
well the insides are done, that was a choir, now the out board brackets, these are going to be difficult at best
:whistle: :laugh:
300px-Mormon_Tabernacle_Choir.jpg

HerronScott

Darth Vader
poolboy said:
Continue on, but what you've already done has taken the flex and springiness out of the bracket, which is the whole idea.

Poolboy,

This is the standard reinforcement that I've seen with information on it posted on VTR and kits sold by TRF, Wishbone Classics and a number of other vendors.

I think this is the first time that I've seen anyone advise against doing this reinforcement though?

Scott

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks great. I probably mentioned this--on mine I also welded braces inside the rear bridge and along the sides of the spring housings. I cheated and had a friend with a full service garage do it for me. Good welder. I basically did whatever Richard Good recommended and he'd sent me some pictures.

The front nose of the Nissan diff tends to bump on the curved lip of the front bridge housing, and Richard advises machining or bending that somewhat. I didn't take that advice seriously enough and I'm getting some thumping right there.

The issue is the spacing of the adapter to the stock bridge and pins.I used some spacing washers but the angle makes use of washers not all that effective. The nose pretty much remains 1/16 inch from the bridge. Watch for that maybe.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
HerronScott said:
poolboy said:

Poolboy,

This is the standard reinforcement that I've seen with information on it posted on VTR and kits sold by TRF, Wishbone Classics and a number of other vendors.

I think this is the first time that I've seen anyone advise against doing this reinforcement though?

Scott

:confuse: Did I ?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hondo, Looks good, what's next,??? 280 ZX rear axle and shock towers. I saw that done on a TR6 that was running in IMSA. Don't recall for sure but it might have been Ted Schumacher.

Wayne

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Hey Wayne
no I doubt I will be doing anything else, I already have the CV axles installed, just the differential will be it

Hondo

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hondo, glad to hear that, hope you can enjoy all your hard work this summer. Are you going to British Car Days South??? After my last disaster and getting there too late for the voting, no thanks. I still have the scare where I walked into the trailer and had to drive down in that heat.

Have fun!!!

Wayne

The one in Dobson was great, hope you got there. Guess what, there will be no show this year, just found out. Hope they find somewhere with more than one tree or have it a bit earlier in the year.

Regards