• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Nissan Differental installation

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well I dropped off the drive shaft to be shortened by 2 inches, it should be finished tomorrow afternoon, Powertrane in Charlotte is doing the drive shaft, Richard said my parts shipped on Thrusday and would be at my house when I get home tomorrow! so all I have to do is pull the CV half shafts out and change the axles, the Nissan diff takes longer axles than what the Std differential takes and Richard was good enough to give me a credit on the used shafts and spacers that I send back to him. So the plan is to start putting the Nissan differential back in and should be driving by Sunday(thats if I dont put the boat in the water)

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well got the drive shaft back and the brackets for the R200 differential on
see the pics, the new axles are here, so pulling the CV shafts out and replacing the axles, then its all back together this weekend, wow between boating and the car, I will be busy plus meeting 2 ladies this weekend

Hondo

Attachments

• 28614.jpg
    28614.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 269
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Ok the R200 unit is in place, what a great kit, it fit up perfectly, and Richard machined the pinion yoke and if you look at his directions he also reduces the diameter of the yoke to match the original drive shaft flange, so Bobby maybe thats why you had some rubbing issues. I had to replace the axles on the CV half shafts because the set I purchased were for the original differential, and the axles for the R200 are a tad longer,( I will be sending the other shafts back and the adapters so richard Good might offer a discount on his kits on used parts) Replacing the axle was a little difficult on the first half shaft but a breeze on the second one. here are some pics. all I have to do is put the exhaust system back on.. I think I am going to weld the whole thing on I am tired of clamps

Attachments

• 28642.jpg
    28642.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 227
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Well I got the exhaust system back on. That was the most difficult part of the R200 conversion, I had to do a lot of modifications to get the system back in without hitting the differential or the frame, I am sure glad I bought the MIG welder. I have the Monza exhausts with the twin chrome tips. I really didnt like the look of 4 tail pipes so I cut the inside tip off of each muffler, welded a cover over the holes and now I have dual exhaust, see the attached pic

well the project comes to an end the only thing to do tomorrow morning is to get it off the jack stands and take it for a test drive

Hondo

Attachments

• 28646.jpg
    28646.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 193
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well!!!!! I just got back from the maiden trip with the R200 differential conversion,,,,,,60 miles around the loop in Charlotte NC, and I can honestly say thats the best bank for the buck ratio! no clunking, no lunking, no vibrations, its silent, its smooth its wonderful! doesnt hurt that I am packing 200 HP and 200 Ft pounds of torque after my engine rebuild, boy when I get on the gas its smokin! got lots of looks and double takes! I highly recommend it, the R200 conversion that is.

Hondo

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hondo,

When the opportunity arises, like if you're under the car admiring your work. or if you have a wheel off for some reason, please do me a favor and tell me how much room you have between the top nose ridge line of your R200 and the lower lip of your front bridge. You'll recall that I've got a whopping 1/16" or so.

Thanks and great to hear how it works and runs. My experience is exactly the same, without the 200 hp. All that's left for me is to chase down a thump here and there.

Hey one other question. When you tightened those lock nuts on the adopter for the R200 mounting, did you have bolt thread to spare? For me I barely got through the nyloc part.

Thanks

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I see the pics now. Looks like you had lots of thread left. The TR6 kit may be different from the 4A kit.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
HerronScott said:
poolboy said:
Continue on, but what you've already done has taken the flex and springiness out of the bracket, which is the whole idea.

Poolboy,

This is the standard reinforcement that I've seen with information on it posted on VTR and kits sold by TRF, Wishbone Classics and a number of other vendors.

I think this is the first time that I've seen anyone advise against doing this reinforcement though?

Scott

Don't mean to answer for PB but I believe he was saying to continue on with the welding of the brackets......I'm pretty sure his car has them all boxed in too.

I went one additional step and boxed in the rear as best I could