• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Electrical problem

CdTR

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Having major problems with my wiring - my starter motor goes on when I hook up battery even though I disconnected starter switch and the key is in the off position. ??? Where should I start?

The starter will turn without ignition on; the starter can be turned just by pushing the button on the solenoid.

So I'm thinking your starter solenoid is "frozen" on and probably needs replacing if it's an original.

Hope this helps!
Tom M.

Welcome to BCF, Cd! I'm going to move your post to our Triumph forum since it's a specific technical issue. If you're reding this you are now in the Triumph forum. If you haven't already done so, please post an introduction for yourself in our New Member Introductions forum.
Cheers
Basil

If you suspect the solenoid, check the resistance of the high-current contacts before buying a new one. If you don't have a multimeter, get one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...ters/7-function-digital-multimeter-59434.html You'll use it.

You can also use it to check for voltage at the solenoid's actuator terminals. It might be powered somehow.

In any case, randomly replacing parts is probably the worst way to solve electrical problems. With a multimeter and a little basic logic, you can figure out almost any electrical problem before you start throwing money at new parts.

Check the small wire coming to the solenoid to make sure it is not hot all the time.
Then get a new one.
MD

I have smacked a solenoid and freed it up. I also have had a lot of headaches with slow dying solenoids. I think Steve makes a good point about replacing parts to try and fix something, but I find solenoids are in a weird class of their own, and for 35.00 bucks I needed a known good one to figure out the problem.

Steve

The contact points in a solenoid will and must burn up over time due to the job they do.
Break one open and look at the copper disc that gets smacked into the contact posts.Sparks fly each time
it is used. Little by little it is consumed(like the cold beer in your hand as you change it out).
Restored a 69 Mustang several years back. Went through 4 or 5 AM solenoids before getting an OE unit.
Mad dog

solenoids do suffwer with burned contacts. the machines i work on are full of contactors, basicly a solenoid,
for switching a high current with a lower current, the ones we use can switch either AC or DC, the same contactor will do both.
The ones controlling DC will fail a lot quicker than the AC ones,
You get a lot more spark for your money with DC.

I did buy a new Solenoid - from Moss Motors - not sure about the small red wire and white wire - which contact to attached to on Solenoid- how do I attached a photo of Solenoid to show?

I did buy a new Solenoid - from Moss Motors - not sure about the small red wire and white wire - which contact to attached to on Solenoid- how do I attached a photo of Solenoid to show?
Click Reply, then enter your text. At the top of the text window is a row of icons. Click the small rectangle to the left of the smiley face. That'll open a small window where you can upload your photo.

Click Reply, then enter your text. At the top of the text window is a row of icons. Click the small rectangle to the left of the smiley face. That'll open a small window where you can upload your photo.

Attachments

• Solenoid contacts.jpg
    Solenoid contacts.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 8
Well, it sounds like your wires have faded...or been changed. The large contact without the tabs goes to the starter motor, while the other large contact WITH tabs goes to the battery negative.

For the small wires, the brown should go from the tab on the large contact to the fuse block for your horns. Since you don't have a brown, try the white first, and try your horn. If you get a honk, then that is right...if not, then connect the red wire. The opposite wire will go from the small contact on the solenoid to the push button start switch. If you get them backwards, it won't hurt anything...it just won't honk or start!?!

The starter will turn without ignition on; the starter can be turned just by pushing the button on the solenoid.

So I'm thinking your starter solenoid is "frozen" on and probably needs replacing if it's an original.

Hope this helps!
Tom M.
Did buy a new Solenoid & starter button -did not solve problem- when I turn key on and push starter button - starter motor is activated but stays on constantly. ?
Where to next ?