• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 throttle linkage bell crank.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
During the restoration of my TR3A I found that there was a lot of wear in the throttle linkage at the bell crank mounted on the manifold. My parts kit car came with 2 bell crank link assemblies both worn.
I ordered both the bell crank and pivot for the bell crank from one of the normal parts houses. When it arrived there were several issues with it.
First the holes where the link rod assemblies screw in were not threaded. They were just pilot holes.
Second the bell crank has unequal legs so if the boss is welded on the wrong side the bell crank does not fit.
Third the pivot was not for a TR3A, Maybe for a TR2 but not the TR3A
When I contacted the supplier I was told the holes are done that way so you can thread to suit your application. When I asked about the other problems I was told that they were always like that.
So I managed to make a workable unit from my 2 assemblies and a washer to take up some slop.

I have now got a 3 in 1 Lathe/Mill/Drill so I made my own Bell crank and pivot. I had thought about adding an oilite bush to make it last longer.
Going to put it on the car next week.

David
bell crank assembly 2.jpg
bell crank assembly.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
GREAT JOB I need to do the same with my TR 6 not so much tooling I may be able to oversize and add bushing. I will post my fix

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Very Nice! Even having the minimal ability to machine simple parts comes in really handy.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have added a brass washer between the bell crank and pivot.

Anyone else had the issue that the pivot bracket supplied looks like the drawing in the Moss catalogue and does not fit the TR3 manifold?

David

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Looks nice. I also have some simple machine tools, a Sherline mill and lathe. They have been really useful.

I also found the bellcrank in my TR4A to be pretty worn. I was able to fix it with a little machining, improving the throttle control.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The one on the right is correct for my TR3A and the one on the left is what I got from the supplier who said that is all they sell.

David
pivot brackets.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Either there is another source of the correct pivot or people are fixing/ living with the worn pivot.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I installed my home made bell crank assembly a few days ago and it is a great improvement on the one I made to work with washers to take up the slop.
While I had the carbs off the engine I decided to fix the leaking float bowl grommets on the front carb. I had ordered new grommets from TRF. Put them on and found it still leaks.
I removed the carbs again and checked that I had grommets centered on the float bowl neck and reassembled it again.
Still leaks.

Any ideas on what I am missing.

David

RichB4493

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm experiencing the same in my bell crank on my 59 TR3. I have a spare that is also sloppy and shimmed it with another washer. That seems to work and hopefully will not shear off the cotter pin. I measured the ID and OD of the crank pivot and the post. They seem to be 7.8mmm for the post and 8.0mm for the crank bushing.

Last edited:

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I'm experiencing the same in my bell crank on my 59 TR3. I have a spare that is also sloppy and shimmed it with another washer. That seems to work and hopefully will not shear off the cotter pin. I measured the ID and OD of the crank pivot and the post. They seem to be 7.8mmm for the post and 8.0mm for the crank bushing.
Who was that posted on here awhile ago that he had made a number of bell cranks and had a few for sale? Wonder if he would make a few more? I could sure use a good one.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That was me.

I do still have a few on hand. I have media blasted these ones to get a more consistent look. Would probable take paint well.

I have been getting $50.00 plus shipping for them.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

David
Bellcrank.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
RichB

I think you may have your bellcrank mounted backwards. I think the wider boss should be on the outside away from the engine. That puts the longer leg at 6.00 clock and the shorter leg at 2.30.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I was making the bellcranks I did consider a bushing but could not find a suitable thin wall bushing.

David