• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tourist Torphy Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Many in our area, including me, have found the mild steel muffler from Healey Surgeons the best way to go. They have a good sound, are a quality product, and are not made in China. You will never regret going with the mild steel muffler from Healey Surgeons.

My take is stainless is not worth the extra money on a Healey. You'll bash your muffler to smithereens before it rusts out (unless you're using your Healey for convenience store runs).

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The outside diameter of the BJ8 TT front pipe is 1.9 " so it may take some fiddling to mate it to a stock BJ8 muffler. My next try will be a big bore BJ7 muffler from AH spares.

If you are close, you might want to try an expander tool like this - either on the muffler inlets or the header. I've had pretty good luck expanding pipes to fit, you can also sleeve it if you can't expand the smaller pipe enough to fit the bigger one. Check out someone like Summit Racing, they have mandrel bends, adaptors, and lots of other exhaust bits.

Pipe expander

Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you are close, you might want to try an expander tool like this - either on the muffler inlets or the header. I've had pretty good luck expanding pipes to fit, you can also sleeve it if you can't expand the smaller pipe enough to fit the bigger one. Check out someone like Summit Racing, they have mandrel bends, adaptors, and lots of other exhaust bits.

Pipe expander

Dave
Dave,
Will be replacing my welded-on exhaust system on my TR6. Need to cut the pipes after the rear diff so I can use flex pipe to connect the stock tailpipes to the dual Ansa muffler tailpipes. To do this I need to cut those pipes in a fairly confined area.

Do you have a recommendation for a tailpipe cutting tool?

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve,
Not sure about tight quarters. I've usually removed mine from the car before cutting/fitting so it would depend on just how much space you have to work with. I normally use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with .040 or so cut-off wheel. In tight spaces I have also used a small mandrel for cut off wheels that has a1/4" shank for my die grinder.
Cut-off mandrel
I think the smallest wheels I've seen are 3" but they can be quickly trimmed down to smaller diameter (for clearance) by running them against a bench grinder wheel (both wheels spinning, it's dusty but quick).

There are several versions of chain cutters ranging from cheap to quite expensive but I have no experience with them so can't suggest one over another.
Chain cutter

Otherwise the fall-back.... Sawzall - not often my choice because they can be very destructive by accident.

Dave

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

Attachments

• 20210729_191646.jpg
    20210729_191646.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 53

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The chain type cutter can be handy for doing a neat cut on the vehicle for a repair/alteration type job, if there is access of course.

Danny

BN6_L1232

Country flag
BN6, did you install the mild steel muffler with the SS down pipes and SS tail pipes? Did they fit? Just asking in case my muffler goes south.
My installation has SS down pipes, mild steel muffler and SS tail pipes. Installation is a "fiddle", lots of pulling and wiggling and use of muffler sealant. Peter.