• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today's progress!!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Chuck just came home for more parts, he's working like a bloody madman! So far today:

rear axle
rear springs
rear shocks
front crossmember
a-frame
and something else and maybe he said the wiring harness.

Came back for the front shocks, gas tank and battery something. Believe he took the steering rack also!

YEA BABY!!! Of course he's gone Wed & Thurs, so we can work Friday all day. Then he's leaving Monday after Easter for a week, possibly two. ARGH! Lots to do Friday & maybe Saturday this week yet!

Man I love it!

It's gonna look like an MG instead of a planter box REAL soon...!!!!!!!!!

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Janel is it going to be ready for Gatlinburg? Sure hope so--keep us informed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I hope so Naomi. I'm not getting my hopes up, my I've set our 'done' date for June 10th, gives us over a week to work out any problems and tweak things before Gatlinburg. Things are going really quick today, but there's so much to do yet.

We'll see. Either way, we'll be there in an MG!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
And I'm looking most forward to meeting you and taking some drives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish I was going... But with all the money going into the toyota right now, and the fact that I put in for a week off on the 1 week of June for my wife's birthday, not happenin this time. I hope it's still sorta close next time. (what's that another 5 years? - maybe I'll get to have mine painted by then)

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Kenny you need to be there!! Take the wife on a vacation to Gatlinburg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vacationing in Gatlinburg is EXACTLY what we hoped that many MG enthusiasts would be doing during MG2006....there is literally something for EVERYONE.!!!!!

Kenny...you simply MUST come to MG2006! I just gotta know if you resemble either one of those characters in your tagline!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
He used me 'n Tony as models.

Country flag
J-bird,
Even if you get the car done by June 10th, Gatlinburg is a long way for a car that hasn't been shook down. It takes a couple thousand miles to find the bugs. However, it's all part of the adventure that IS British motoring.

Safety Fast.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...a long way for a car that hasn't been shook down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but surely a nice long trip with lots of luggage and against a deadline is an ideal way of finding all the little and not-so-little opportunities for vehicular troubleshooting? Particularly if the weather's bad and the travel is at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

If the sun's shining, you're in no rush and have all the time and tools... the gremlins stay asleep.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

or so it seems....

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I figure if John Mangles can take his MGA-V8 on a shakedown trip to Grand Rapids less than a week after it was complete, and participate in the 1000 mile Grand Lake Tour, I can make Gatlinburg.

Besides, there will be plenty of shadetree mechanics around if we need help! If she's done, she's going!

Country flag
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you not do it. I just think you should prepare for the worse. And then be happy if your preparation wasn't needed.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ahh, I know. If she's not done, we still have an MG to take to Gatlinburg. Emma's still here!!! But, Chuck did say last evening that if it wasn't fishing season, the car would be done and ready for interior & trim in 2 weeks, but since he's fishing, it will be completely done in 6 weeks.

We'll see!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We haven't hit any 'snags' yet!!!

Country flag
Can't he leave you a list of things to do in order to speed up the process (or has he already done that?)

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I have my own list. Apply for license plates, put the gaitors and stuff on the steering rack, finish up painting a couple bits, polish polish polish, order carpet, top, door panels, seats, clean wax and detail Emma for the Easter car show, decide what to do about the gauges...

Also, take Emma's seats out and lubricate the runs somehow so I can move the driver's seat without needing 2 grown men, head to guys night at the garage Monday and get the guys to pull Emma's wheel and put the original on and wire up my new hooters.

Did I mention clean house and mow grass and plant garden?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Country flag
So what are you going to do with all that free time while he is gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, I'm a full time father (4YO and 1YO), I also clean, cook, mow grass, landscape, laundry, household repairs, playgroups, etc. then... after the kids are in bed I work on the car.

hmmm... what does my wife do? Oh yes, she has to go to work.