• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech To choke or not to choke – that is a Weber question!

A prefix for general technical articles that might apply to multiple marques (e.g., adjusting SU carburetors)
Our bugeye came to us with a Weber 40 DCOE. Never owned a car with Weber’s before, but hey? It started with no choke and ran. What more could one ask?

OK – it ran. But it hesitated a bit when I floored it, and what’s up with the starting without needing the choke. And if you do use the choke – wow. Instaflood – and let it sit for a while and try again. And let it sit for a while….

Our bug came to us with a 1275 engine, 8.5 to 1 compression, freshly rebuilt. For a variety of reasons, I chose to have the engine built again, this time as a 1380 with 10 to 1 compression, an aluminum head and a mild cam upgrade. Idles reasonably nicely, though not as smooth as the original build with its milder cam.

NTL, when cold, the car just didn’t want to idle. And pulling the choke was the kiss of death. What the heck?

I did my usual “let’s check the web to see what I can see”. Sort of like picking up a piece of plywood to see what is under it. Turns out that the way to do a snake survey is to lay a piece of plywood on the ground on a pleasant day and come back later to see what has hidden under the plywood. And, like searching the web, you really never know what you will find. And if it will try to bite you.

I began to learn that most folks view the “Fuel Enrichment” circuit on a Weber DCOE as a useless item. Here is a typical comment – found on this forum from back in 10/19/2005 (thank you Alan Myers).

“I've had a pair of DCOE on my TR4 for 25 years and the chokes have never been operated (there's not even been a cable connected). The "choke" on a sidedraft Weber is really more like a small, separate carb or enrichment circuit, not really a choke. It's also pretty much worthless.

Since DCOE and similar have an accelerator pump, the method I use (and I've heard widely recommended) is to just forget about using the "choke", fully pump the pedal two or three times, then hold so that the throttle is slightly open. Crank the engine and it should kick over, but might run a little rough at first and not want to idle. Use the pedal to hold the throttle slightly open for a minute or so, until the engine settles down and wants to run and idle more smoothly.

If it doesn't start first try, repeat up to three times.

After that it's likely the engine is flooded and might be necessary to clear it by holding throttle wide open (no pumping... just slowly press the pedal to the floor) and turn the engine over, releasing the pedal partially as soon as the engine starts.”

I can see my wife doing the “hold the throttle wide open” part. And starting the engine. Hmmm. Or is it OH MY GOD!?

Alan is right – as delivered, the choke on our DCOE was useless. But, well, our cam has a bit of an attitude. It didn’t want to idle unless one held the throttle open for a while. Until the engine warmed up a bit. So, a real while. Which is ok if you have a cup of hot tea and biscuits. Otherwise, a bit of a pain in the tush.

None of this made a lot of sense to me. Carbs have chokes so they will start when cold. All the previous carbs I’d worked on had chokes. Including the many SU’s I’ve tuned.

When we wanted to start our ’69 XKE with triple SU’s on a 20 degree F morning, I pulled the choke. It started. It fast idled. I went back into the cabin and had tea and biscuits.
K & S with EType in the snow Photoshopped.JPG

Granted, some are called chokes, some are called fuel enrichment devices. Oh, even more confusing: Turns out Weber’s do have chokes – that is what they call the venturi inside the barrel of the carburetor – the part that narrows down the throat of the carb. And you can choose different sized chokes depending on whether you want low rpm grunt or high rpm ponies.

My gut level thought was that the jets for the fuel in the fuel enrichment device, or starter circuit, or whatever you might want to call it (as long as you don’t call it choke) were too big. Here is a diagram of a DCOE to further confuse you. Ignore all but item 16.
Weber diagram.jpg

Turns out if you take the top off of a DCOE you can find all kinds of things – much like picking up a piece of plywood on a sunny day.

Item 16 – the Starter Jets.

Out of curiosity I checked to see what sizes were available – typed in 85F9 (what came in our 40 DCOE when purchased new a couple of years ago) in the search box on www.carburetion.com. “Sorry, part unavailable”. So I called them. Yup, part unavailable.

I get the idea that the 85F9 if the standard starter jet supplied in new 40 DCOE’s. I guess it doesn’t really matter since folks seem to believe that fuel enrichment devices don’t work. Hmmm. No fuel jet options and the devices don’t work. Wonder if they’re not working might be because the 85F9 jets are not right for every application for 40 DCOE’s?

So, more looking under plywood, and low and behold, found a YouTube video on “Tuning the Weber 40 DCOE Cold Start Choke Circuit”.

Wow. Harwinder (guy who produced the video) was asking the same questions I was asking. He figured the fuel jet in the cold start circuit was too big. So, he made it smaller. Granted, filling the jet with copper wire, soldering it up, and re-drilling it with a smaller hole is not the most elegant solution. But IT WORKED FOR HIM.

Fast forward to my shop. I am a watch and clock guy. As in, I can make really small things really precisely. For me, it was pretty much trivial to replace the 0.85 mm fuel orifices in the original starter jets with 0.30 mm holes. Why 0.30? Because it was the smallest standard bushings I had in my bushing kit. 0.85 was obviously way too big – 0.30 is about a third as big – what the heck – I could always ream it out if needed.

Note – 0.3 mm is pretty small. As in, a sewing straight pin is about 3 times that diameter. It is a pretty darned small hole. But then, so is a 0.85. Flip side, I routinely work with pivots on clock gears that are as small as 0.3 mm.

Install the modified starter fuel jets, pull the choke, and bam – engine starts right up and idles at 1400 rpm. Cold. Perfect! Much like Harwinder found when he started up his engine at 4:10 in his video. It just worked! First try.

With our performance oriented cam I can now start the car when cold and walk away. It idles!

I hope this slightly tongue in cheek article makes sense, and perhaps even helps someone understand why the fuel enrichment devices on Weber DCOE’s “don’t work”.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
On a side note ... did the 1275 run ok with the 40 DCOE that was on it?

Seems that if you modify the engine, the carburetion would need adjustment.

Thanks for posting the article!
Tom M.

OP
SNClocks

SNClocks

Country flag
The 1275 was clearly running rich, with a bit of hesitation or bogging on hard accel and black soot accumulating at exhaust system joints...

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Excellent article, great information, and absolutely ace deductive reasoning. I'm glad your first try with the 30 jets was successful, you earned that win!

As a bonus, I have now learned not to pick up that piece of plywood someone left in my yard until next January.

OP
SNClocks

SNClocks

Country flag
You, sir, are too kind. And rather perspicacious with that whole plywood thing.

Thank you for the kind words. And yes, blind, dumb luck is just fine when it works.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nicely writ. Was the Weber on your Bugeye a Spanish made one? Seems those ALWAYS need to be re-jetted for an application. In spite of specifying what engine spec's it's to go on.

I've had 40mm DCOE Webers on the three Lotus' and four Alfa Romeos. 100-F-5's for the cold start jets. Never had an issue, even in Western PA winters. Rarely even needed to pull the cable, usually using the two-squirts-and-crank method works every time. If it was well below freezing the cable half-way out did the job. The current MGB has a 40 DCOE on it too but in Florida the enrichment circuit is truly redundant to requirement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the DCOE's (& IDF's) don't really have an idle compensation linkage per se. Your foot and an immediate closing of the enrichment are the answer. With the SU's a "fast idle" link in the form of a cam is present to open the throttle blades gradually as the choke cable lowers the jets.

Last edited: