• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Thumping noise

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Since installing the Goodpart spacers on the left rear spring, I've noticed a banging or thumping noise in the rear when traversing bumps - of which there are plenty around here. Any ideas?

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Do you have lever or tube shocks? Either one will have rubber bushings that go thru the A-arm. Were they in good shape, and did you get them set right? Is the shock link ok if you have the lever shocks.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tube shocks. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull a wheel and have a look if my (soon to be) 81 year-old back will let me...As my late father used to say, I can now do very well once what I once did very well.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Be sure to look at the frame in that area for any signs of cracking or splitting.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Pulled off both wheels. Almost gave myself a hernia lifting them back on, but I saw nothing amiss with the rear suspension or shocks. Bump stops looked like new (they are). I even checked the spare tire and toolkit - all tight and snug. Still making that noise even pulling out of my poorly maintained driveway. I'm stumped. It sounds like the sound is coming from the middle rear of the car - maybe the differential mounts? Why now when they never made noise before? Could lifting the left rear about 1 1/2" made the differential hit anything?

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Maybe dry splines on the axle shafts, they might be binding.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Dry splines? When we installed the spacers, we dropped the stub axle. The splines looked fine. I don't know about the right side but it never made any noise before the spacers.I think I have to take the car down to my mechanic and put it up on a lift. I can't lay under a car any more. Worse than that, I got a bit light-headed after lifting those tires onto the wheels. I'm on blood pressure medication. Old Age is not for cowards...

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Someone suggested the upper end of the shock hitting the body and someone else suggested loose swing arm bushings causing the bolt to rattle around. What think you of these suggestions? As an aside, I don't think too much of the Triumph IRS. If I was buying a TR4, I would avoid it.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have an IRS and agree w/ u but anyway I've had 2 noises w/ stock shocks, first just a loosening connection from trailing arm to shock arm. Quick find. Second was shock itself, had maybe 1/8" play side to side on shaft coming out of the shock, didn't take much. It sounded like something was loose enough to make the entire rear end fall off and took a while to find. I was finally sure after taking it off and driving. Make you crazy, good luck.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Just had a thought. Could it be the driveshaft or u-joint hitting the frame or body? I once ran into this problem on an MG.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If it was something like that, something rotating, seems like there would be a lot of vibration.
I'm basing that on the memory I have of a drive shaft just before it 'came loose' completely.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Now that I think of it, Poolboy, you're right. The driveshaft is revolving and makes a **** of a racket when it hits anything. When I get it up on a lift I hope I can find the cause of the noise and will report back my findings.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Maybe jump up and down on it and have someone listen on both sides since it makes noise when it compresses. You did have one side apart which would be suspect.