• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"The Sound of Music" - Speaker Placement

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: the sound of music

that really does sound like Don Healey meets "Pimp My Ride"...Actually, it sounds like a pretty brilliant way to deal with sound. Expensive and, in the long run, perhaps the sort of thing that will be compared to putting avocado green appliances into a 1860s Victorian house, but still a very imaginative way to deal with it. I wonder what they did with the view from the sides of the console? Did they build side walls around it to conceal the system?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what they did with the view from the sides of the console? Did they build side walls around it to conceal the system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't remember except that everything looked appropriate. Of course BJ8's have a console to start with and so when the unit was "stowed" nothing was visible except what is normally seen. Kovacs would, I am sure, be able to furnish full info--the car was a red/white BJ8 out of NY or NJ.

Taste is, of course a relative thing (bad taste is eternal) and I've certainly taken great license with modifications, etc. But to my mind radios that are visible to the casual eye hanging under the dash or mounted on the tunnel on cars without consoles just don't get it.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag

The car to which Michael is referring is Chris Kortke's 67 BJ8. This is his web site: https://www.67healey.com. The radio was very "James Bondish" - hidden nicely and very cool. I don't think there any shots of the radio on his website. It did open up behind the 3000 flash on the console upright. See attachment.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 135055-IMG_7511.jpg
    135055-IMG_7511.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 165

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hi Lin, Yes that is a nice installation of a modern system I like the Motif attached to the drop down face plate.It probably has enough power to make it good sound too. No SHG, that Kenwood is much more modern than the one I used.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hi Michael, Yes that is a cool modern system. There is anotherone that completely installs in the boot. You can leave the old BMC radio in place.It is controlled by a hand held remote just like your TV set at home. It is MP3 and Satalite radio compatible too.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, it sounds like a pretty brilliant way to deal with sound. Expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don’t think there was any special engineering in that installation other than cutting a bigger hole in the console. Looks like the flash was just glued to a stock radio. See Here . Oh, and Keoke, it’s a Kenwood.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

There is anotherone that completely installs in the boot. You can leave the old BMC radio in place.It is controlled by a hand held remote just like your TV set at home. It is MP3 and Satalite radio compatible too.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Keoke--

Google "Secret Audio" and one such system comes up. It is interesting because unlike many remotes that use Infra Red signals which require the remote and receiver to be "line of sight" they have one that uses RF and yes, the whole thing can be stored in the boot. However I don't like diddling with hand-held devices or cell phones when driving, which is why I like the Sony Rotary Commander to which I referred earlier. It is entirely intuitive in its controls and lets you change all important functions "by feel" rather than by having to make entries onto a keypad, etc. I think that there is a new wireless version of the Rotary Commander which may be the best of all worlds.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yep, Michael, Sony has that RF coupled Joy Stick.However if you do not have a compatible Sony receiver I think you have to buy an additional interface unit, On the other hand, a boss car radio system can be had for less than $250.00 I was surprised at the features some of the lower priced but top name systems have available.---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Anthony,
Either way would work, your choice. What I did here was do a search (up next to the forum button) for “speaker”, put my name in the “username search” field, since I knew I had posted in that thread and selected the Healey forum to narrow the search. You have to change the 4 date fields since it defaults to a search of posts only one week old.

Anyway, back to the topic. I’m still mulling over speakers. I have a pair of ribbon speakers that could be mounted without cutting panels. I may hook them up to see how they sound in the car. What did you come up with?
189065-ribbons.jpg

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I thought I would revive this old thread to see if anyone has made any improvements or tried anything new for a stereo system in the past year.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do in my BJ8. Like most others, I don't want the look of a modern unit in my Healey. I like the idea of the wireless rotary commander (except it only works with a few harder to find decks), the secret audio system, or some other variation where the deck is hidden. Any new ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Yes! AUSMHLY (BJ8) has invested an unbelievable amount of time in this and has come up with an ingenious, nearly invisible installation that is based upon his multi-function Garmin navigational unit. The unit stores and plays MP3s as well as all of the normal nav functions. He has it hooked up to 4 under-dash, almost undetectible low voltage, high efficiency speakers. The nav unit is totally portable and all mountings are invisible when not in use. Maybe Roger will pipe in later and he can tell you all about this amazing sounding system.
He really got it right.
Randy
'66 BJ8

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Just curious, has anyone ever thought of or seen a deck installed in the Healey's glove box? It looks to be just the right size and could allow you to have the function and retain the stock look. And if you ever wanted to restore it back to original the glove boxes are only about $70 from Moss.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy Harris said:
Yes! AUSMHLY (BJ8) has invested an unbelievable amount of time in this and has come up with an ingenious, nearly invisible installation that is based upon his multi-function Garmin navigational unit. Maybe Roger will pipe in later and he can tell you all about this amazing sounding system.
He really got it right.
Randy
'66 BJ8

What's the base like? I want to do something with an MP3 player, but all the marine, or outdoor speakers I have listened too are just too "tin"y.

OP
A
brandonbj8, yes years ago id seen guys attempt to install 8-track units in the glovie, then latter on cassette units,but those were kinda big and didnt look good ,some people even removed the glove box door entirely to accommodate, the equipment that is available today is so compact you would probably still have half the glovie to put things in and not have to remove the door and with the remote controls now offered you would never have to lean over to adjust, select,or insert anything,the advantage the bj8 has over earlier models is that they do have a glove box and a center console, others did not, consequently some wish to have what ever they install appear to be period correct yet have all the new tech performance thats available today hence the bent for concealment. i know id like to have a glove box and console not just a tray,i could think of lots of stuff to put in there.

OP
A
dar, i used "westmarine" units in my bj7 when installed correctly you should be able to get good to very good "bass" sound from them,are you using additional amplification with the mp3 player i.e. preamp of some kind? where were the speakers you listened to mounted/installed?- in speaker boxes of some kind? or just hanging in mid air? this is important!

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In the beginning of this thread, I talked about the marine speakers that I used, Polyplanar MA7500. Loved them then. Love them now. Great sound. Great fit in the upper footwells. I have an old becker radio from the late 60s with AM/FM/Cassette in the console that looks right, with an amp hidden behind it attached to the bottom of the heater box. The only thing you need to connect the old radio to an amp is a hi-lo converter. I've seen people who rewire these old radios to include a plug for an MP3 player, but for an old guy like me, that's more than I need. I just want to hear some good music, and I'm not going crazy over whether it's radio, cassette, CD or MP3.

Seems like everybody here has a favorite. But if it's good enough for 7777, it's good enough for me.

bighly

Jedi Knight
I have a spare rear seat squab frame for my roadster. I plan to build a box for speakers and stereo so that the whole shindig is removable. Will plug it into cig lighter accessory outlet.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randy Harris said:
Yes! AUSMHLY (BJ8) has invested an unbelievable amount of time in this and has come up with an ingenious, nearly invisible installation that is based upon his multi-function Garmin navigational unit. The unit stores and plays MP3s as well as all of the normal nav functions. He has it hooked up to 4 under-dash, almost undetectible low voltage, high efficiency speakers. The nav unit is totally portable and all mountings are invisible when not in use. Maybe Roger will pipe in later and he can tell you all about this amazing sounding system.
He really got it right.
Randy
'66 BJ8

Hey guys,
Not sure I'm of much help here. This thread is about using a radio, possible amp and speakers. My system does not have a radio. I even have a blanking plate there.

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 660 Navigation/mp3 player and self powered computer speakers.
If your interested in that kind of system, then maybe we should start another thread.

Cute Randy. Pipe in, like in music? lol. Best of luck with the radio system guys! I wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but as always, we leave that to Keoke! Cheers, Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
dar100 said:
What's the base like? I want to do something with an MP3 player, but all the marine, or outdoor speakers I have listened too are just too "tin"y.

Under what conditions were you listening to the speaker??---Keoke