• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"The Sound of Music" - Speaker Placement

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Re: the sound of music

SHG, I was leaning towards using a push button radio for both the looks and the fact that no keep alive ground is needed. So if the unit doesn't have enough power, use a hidden power amp.
I like this solution. The " high / low " convertor you mention must be something to cut down the signal to prevent distortion. What was the name/model of this convertor ?

Ed_K

Jedi Knight

Perhaps we should open a new topic to discuss this subject, but I am also in the process of installing the new weather seal around the door openings. The product that I have is aluminum inside and I was planning on drilling some small holes thru it and the knife edge so I can either screw or pop rivet it on. Is there a better quality door seal available ?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I like this solution. The " high / low " convertor you mention must be something to cut down the signal to prevent distortion. What was the name/model of this convertor ?

[/ QUOTE ] Basically they take a speaker level signal down to a line level signal (cd player or Ipod level output). Most car audio stores will carry them (Al & Ed's) Here's a link to one example. Stinger Audio

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Hi Ed. Greg's link shows you what they are. Very simple, inexpensive, small boxes, usually with RCA jacks out so that they can connect to an amp. The hi/low converters or adapters (different companies call them slightly different things) are available all over the place, even on ebay. But without them, the old radio won't work properly with an amp.

As for the amp, you don't need anything fancy and you don't want anything large. It has to be small enough to hide behind the center console and attach under the heater box.

As for radios, check out this link to give you an idea of what's out there. https://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/blaup...aMEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I just realized that I have a spare hi/lo adapter. I had ordered one, but it didn't come in time so I picked on up and ended up with two. It's a Pyramid NS-60 that cost me about $10, so if anyone wants it, let me know.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I'm for good tunes in the Healey and have had a radio and CD changer on board for several years. The quality of the sound is even better with the recent addition of the hardtop.

I have four speakers--two box speakers (about 5"x8") in bracket mounts behind the dash and two 6" flush speakers recessed in the kicks. Mounting and balancing speakers is the easy part.

What's difficult is where to put the other components (receiver and CD changer) so that it "looks right" and is easily accessible and functional. This is especially so in roadsters that lack a central console and, at least to me, are not complimented in appearance by radios, etc. hanging out under the parcel shelf or sitting on the tunnel.

I'm attaching one photo to this message showing part of what I have come up with--the Sony receiver mounted out of plain sight on the parcel shelf and the most important component: The Sony RMX4S "Rotary Commander" shown mounted on the heater motor face. (The box speaker is also shown in the photo). The 6-disk CD changer is shown in the next message.

The heart of the whole system is the Rotary Commander and mine is mounted inconspicuously, yet falls easily to hand and allows me to change function (CD, FM, AM, etc), disk and track and volume all "without looking" just by twisting the stacked knobs. It is probably 4" by 1" and is wired, along with the receiver, to the changer in the boot shown in the photo attached to the next message.

Sorry I don't have the model numbers for the Sony receiver. The changer is CDX-CA710X and a visit to the Sony site will show which units are compatible with the "Rotary Commander" controller.

Attachments

• 134500-IMG_0015(Small).JPG
    134500-IMG_0015(Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 204

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Here's a shot of the Sony six-disk changer mounted in the boot. BTW I first had both the changer and the receiver mounted in the space to the left of the spare (An option available only to 100 owners)but felt that it was helpful to be able to see the LCD display for the station frequency when using the radio, so I moved the receiver to the parcel shelf and remounted the changer as shown to allow me to stow jack, tools, etc. in the storage nook.

Attachments

• 134503-IMG_0018(Small).JPG
    134503-IMG_0018(Small).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 166

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

HI ED, I guess I have to be the wet blanket on the "HI LOW Converter". There is no way the converter can reduce distortion it can only incresse it.What it does is reduce the amplitude of the receiver"s out put to be compatible with the external amplifiers input.Consequently,all the distortion present in the receivers audio system plus that created by the converter is being fed to the external amplifier.Nevertheless, if the system sounds good to the user then it must be satisfactory to them.Additionally, not many production car radio systems will match the performance of a good aftermarket one. IMHOP, once I selected a radio to use{for what ever reasons} if it did not include a PREAMP output I would take it to a good radio repair shop and have one put in,it shouldnt cost much. What this modification does is to bypass the distortion prone audio power amplifier in the receiver and brings out a clean{Clean as the receiver chosen contains}low level signal that needs no lossy converter to be compatible with the amplifier's input.---Fwiw---Keoke

OP
A

keoke,after your latest diatribe with the put outs converted high low to pre ins back to amp side circut etc.etc,i elected to purchase and install a single crystal 'electro-lab'set[for 9-12 year olds]thanks!!gegw,help!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 134622-MVC-001S.JPG
    134622-MVC-001S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 338

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well Andrew, just use a high quality after market radio that has a PREAMP output and its own external power amplifier. The power available per channel should be on the order of 100 Watts, a little less OK. To optomise the stereo imaging put at least 6 1/2" round coaxial{you could go Triaxial if you want} speakers with very low compliance cones in the side panels of the foot wells.I don't have much advise for rear mounting speakers.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
OH,! The crystal set will work great just use a higher powered amplifier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

Hi Anthony,
I just reread your earlier post. So the rear speakers are mounted in the masonite side panels and are open in the back? Above the wheel arch as it slopes back down in the rear probably? I got confused thinking that all 4 speakers were enclosed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif If I’m on track now, that’s a tough spot for a speaker box. Here’s a crazy idea. How about 4” black ABS pipe? Cut a length that goes from the back of the side panel to the inner fender, about 5” I think. Get some good 3/8” ply. Cut a front piece with a hole that the ABS will fit in snugly. The outer dimensions will be dictated by where you cut the hole in the side panel already. Cut a circle from the plywood that will act as a plug for the back of the tube and epoxy it in. Test fit in the car before gluing, speaker should be on opposite side of the panel from the ABS tube and screw through the panel into the plywood to lock it down. The vinyl should make a good seal for you. There are 2 possible problems I can think of. 1) Some piece of the body interferes with the tube. B) The basket of the speaker is too wide to fit flush in the tube. Can you post a photo of what you’ve done so far? That’s a clean install of the stereo by the way./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
134678-enclosure.jpg

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I can't speak for Keoke, but while it is certainly much easier to put in a new aftermarket radio (and probably more expensive), I couldn't bear one of those hitech multicolor extravaganza's sitting in my center console. It's just wrong.

So if the point is to put in a radio that looks like it would have been in the car in the first place, then you have to make some accomodations. If you want it fast and easy, and don't mind "pimping your ride," then go for a new one. And a couple of those monster bass units will likely fit right across the back seat, making you the envy of the 'hood. But that's not what I was thinking about.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

There is one more consideration in modern radios for the BJ8 crowd. The original style radio had volume and tuning shafts that helped anchor the radio in. The DIN style radios today fit differently. Here is a before and after shot of my console modification. I would think most people wouldn’t want to do this, especially if your car is all together. Just something to think about when shopping.
134726-radiomod.jpg

Country flag

Another option is to have the old BMC radio re-configured with new electronics (AM-FM stereo et-al) using the old knobs and case. I beleive it runs about 500.00 US. I have the info on it somewhere. A lady in our local club (Golden Gate Healey) had it done and gave me the info last summer. Looks perfect. I bought an old original for 25 bucks but haven't convinced myself I need tunes. If there is interest I will dig out the info and post their web sight.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif SHG, but there are older shaft mounted hi quality aftermarket radios available that have these features; MY Kenwood even uses the original Healey chrome trim around the face plate and it does not have the bell and whistle look.On the other hand, it will put out close to 400 watts of clean power if bridged and came originally with its own external amplifier . These systems are often referred to as a Preamp/Amp systems. The PreAmp handles the radio and tape, if included, functions and the external amp provides the power to drive the speakers. ---Keoke

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

If you've got a new radio that looks right, that's great. I looked all over the place for one, but didn't find anything that came even close to looking right. I found a few with shafts and knobs, but they still had the multicolored lights and were too "slick" to fit in. With all the effort I put in to make sure that the other parts were correct, I felt that putting a new radio into the console just looked horrible. It is, of course, a matter of personal choice and you may have found a great radio that I didn't see, but I have to tell you that the old Becker looks right, sounds great, and the total cost, from radio (with cassette), converter, amp and speakers was about $250.

On additional point about distortion, etc. If the speakers and good quality and are adequately powered so that they push enough sound to be heard clearly, whatever sound quality loss comes from the radio itself really doesn't amount to anything. Remember, we're in an open cockpit with the exhaust screaming, not a recording studio. To keep the integrity of the car intact, we have to make accomodations. I have no holes in parts of the car where they don't belong. I have a radio that looks like it should be there and I have great sound with nothing showing that shouldn't be showing. If I was willing to compromise the car for the radio, I would have had more choices. But the car came first, and the radio had to fit the car, not the other way around.

OP
A

heres a pic.of my bj7 install,although its an updated unit i dont feel it insults the the intended cofiguration of the interior layout,i purchaed a plastic mount from j.c whitney $6.00 fits exactly under heater box where orig.motorola was mounted[i have it and it still works any interest let me know] o.k. so i painted the two shinny metal straps on the heater box,whip me with a noodle. with the help of gregw,ive reolised what went wrong with the sound,it was speaker placement not the radio or need for a pre amp etc.etc.i never intended my car radio to be able to do what any home system is capable of,just needed some clean sound,my bigest problem was not baffling [inclosing] the rear speaker.thanks all for your interest and responces,didnt know this would be such a hot and timely subject.now keoke,can you give me any ideas as to were in the healey i can place the two 14" video monitors?

Attachments

• 134919-MVC-003S.JPG
    134919-MVC-003S.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 211

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Keoke can you give me any ideas as to where i can place the two 14" video moitors?--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I saw a BJ8 at Encounter that had just rolled out of Tom Kovac's shop (Fourintune)from a full resto. The owner had a remote which when pushed caused the original blanking cover with the 3000 badge in the console to flip down and out slid the radio/CD player. Another push and the whole thing folded back in--sort of like watching a MB 500 SL hardtop fold away! I don't know how it sounded or what it must have cost but it certainly looked cool.