• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Accidental Healey

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Don't know if you need another one, but I've noticed this one on Craigslist for awhile.

This car is right down the street from my office....drive by it everyday for 15 years???? Going to lunch ..will see if its still there..

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have seen that and the owner emailed me to say he would call me, he hasn't called or left me any contact numbers since.
Chris...

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Don't know if you need another one, but I've noticed this one on Craigslist for awhile.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4165713906.html

That is a steal. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was closer and I would put in line for a restore! These older kit cars, done well, are going to become valuable some day. They are the undiscovered classic sitting right under our noses!

To look back later when these are selling for $33k and not $3.3k

3a2a71cf13e1992df7c637568c93aaff.jpg

Last edited:

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
It's still there sitting outside all covered with snow.

Pete

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
HealeyZ; Heck I'd just drive it home, I've done worse. Like shipping one. I already had a plan, a new roll of green duct tape, some lacquer thinner, a trip to Ace for some nuts, bolts and washers, and down the road with a lap belt and a prayer.
Thanks Pete; He said he's moving to Nevada and I wonder if he's just bogged down in work. My holiday season is a zoo timewise anyway, I bet it is for everyone. Will keep trying to contact him.
Chris...

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I spoke to the Columbus Jamaican man. We're going to meet up soon and I'll take a look at his little monster. I'll probably buy it, I have very little self control.

The Swamp Rat is really showing the effects of her care. I couldn't get a jack under it and the left side frame rail failed when I jacked it up from behind. It still stays up but once on the ground it lies flat on the ground in the front. My only choice that I can see is to remove the body from the old frame and build up the new one.
I removed the rear window by heating the tape and removed the axle hump covering, 3/4 ply and roof flashing is top notch material for kit cars. The fasteners were five different kinds and sizes, 10mm mostly. Not too British.
I wanted to see where the frame failed and the floor seemed to be ply, fibreglass and metal so I got into it with an angle grinder and a crowbar. It was fun, but what i found was not too pretty. The builder cut the frame rails down by cutting the rail at a 90 degree angle and didn't box it in, if that even would've helped. A sheet of steel was evident over the top of the rail but not being closed up on the vertical cuts I doubt it ever would've lasted without failure long term. The seat pan areas were fabbed out of roofing flashing and glassed over.
Underneath there are small square tubes building up the outboard areas, the hump and along the rear where the the body is bolted are also small square tubing structures. Are these Healey, or custom?
The rear end looks like a Healey, it says MOWOG on it. There is some emergency brake stuff there, but the handle isn't mounted to the flange though the cable casing is there. A few parts here and there should restore that system. I guess the shock links needed to be shorter, REBAR being a well known structural component of many race cars it's used here as well! I had to laugh. The rest of the stuff is fairly stock with stock fasteners that I can salvage, thank goodness.
The tunnel is made of 3/4 inch ply and covered with glass cloth. I started to cut it off at the base, but not really knowing how the stock structure is and how strong the body would be without it I stopped and have a few messages to send to known Jamaican experts. I think it'll be OK with no floor or tunnel but...
I have a better idea of what I should do about the car, but I'm now excited about the other one so this one might have to go bye, bye. I can't have more than one because I have a two sports car policy with my wife. A childhood friend is a renaissance man, for any subject he can repair, rebuild, fabricate from new, or reengineer to perfection. He once rebuilt his brother's Devins after a wreck so he should be indispensable here. He also suggested I show it to him and that a frame replacement should not take more than a day. I think he must've meant 24 hours!
Here are the latest pictures...
Chris...

Attachments

• Chris Jamaican rear window removed.jpg
    Chris Jamaican rear window removed.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Chris Jamaican axle hump.jpg
    Chris Jamaican axle hump.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Chris Jamaican roof flashing.jpg
    Chris Jamaican roof flashing.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Chris Jamaican axle rt side.jpg
    Chris Jamaican axle rt side.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Chris Jamaican rear axle.jpg
    Chris Jamaican rear axle.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Chris Jamaican lt side axle.jpg
    Chris Jamaican lt side axle.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here are some more, the floor drop with main frame rail cut left open is just special.
Chris...

Attachments

• 4 ply and stove bolts.jpg
    4 ply and stove bolts.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Chris Jamaican sunken seat pan flashing.jpg
    Chris Jamaican sunken seat pan flashing.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Chris Jamaican lowered shock links.jpg
    Chris Jamaican lowered shock links.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Chris Jamaican lowered shock link lt.jpg
    Chris Jamaican lowered shock link lt.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Chris Jamaican bulkhead.jpg
    Chris Jamaican bulkhead.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Chris Jamaican floor frame damage .jpg
    Chris Jamaican floor frame damage .jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Chris jamaican MGB observes carnage.jpg
    Chris jamaican MGB observes carnage.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Chris Jamaican Floor flashing .jpg
    Chris Jamaican Floor flashing .jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 81
OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi HealeyZ,
I live in Pacific Palisades, I am based in St. Louis and fly for American Airlines. I hate the cold.
Chris...

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Chris, wow the car looks like a complete rebuild, with few usable parts, but a great project none the less. Are you going to drag it back to CA?

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yeah Rick! Good points all around!

HealeyZ, It's at my hangar at Chino, CA. I could write a big, long post about shipping it with Dolphin Auto Transport but it would just repeat to those in the know about the ignorance of the first time customer in the seedy world of auto shipping.
"...with a few usable parts.", I couldn't have said it better myself. It is a total rebuild and it might be someone else's come January. But, for now I'll work out what I'm going to do to it. There is yet another Healey/Jamaican rebuild that needs a frame that is much more complete, Healey engined and titled that I've found recently that I might be able to make into a money maker...
Stay tuned.
Chris...

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Don't know if this has been covered yet, but it looks like a 100 frame (90" wb) with a BJ8 rear (differential).
What's on the title or registration?
Bob

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tennessee assigned VIN, 1973 build. I thought the same about the frame, 90 inches and a straight radiator brace. Too bad the frame is history.
Chris...

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Pardon my ignorance, but I am having difficulty seeing what you actually have here that is salvageable. Please answer Y or N to the following checklist:

frame?
body?
motor?
wheels?
drive train?
any interior bits?

I applaud your bravery and enthusiasm; please help me see the potential here.

OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Tom,
Me too!
Frame? No, I have a replacement.
Body? Yes, it's good.
Motor? No, needs replacement.
Wheels? Maybe, they're salvageable but not what I thought they were.
Drive train? No, well the rear end looks okay, drive shaft too.
Interior? Fiberfab bucket glass seats, possibly the SW instruments, possibly the column, all of the glass, and window regulators.
The suspension components should be salvageable, brakes and shocks, springs, maybe the steering stuff, attach hardware, gas tank, some other little stuff. It's a ground up deal so everything will be up to the builder. The previous builder left me with just that much, the next owner took away the frame and engine by leaving it outside, but there is enough to build a neat car. Being a simple car anyway there isn't much to them. Maybe I'd add a heat/AC system.
The whole idea is a Nasty Boy V-8 canyon racer anyway, light and simple. I still don't know if I'm brave enough to finish it, but thanks for the nice compliments!
Chris...

Last edited:
OP
stuntflyr

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here are a couple from today, forgot my camera so my old buddy Dave is caught by my phone. Body is off now, but it was late and I didn't take a picture.
Chris...

Attachments

• FF Chris Jamaican with Dave body removal.jpg
    FF Chris Jamaican with Dave body removal.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20131221_140620.jpg
    20131221_140620.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 119