• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tell us us something we don't know

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1642959632460.png

Country flag
And make sure to put a cover over it that only releases by crawling under the car and reaching up with a 3 foot socket extension. And just to make it really fun, put in the service manual just the two words, "remove cover"...

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I remember as a kid working on a jeep 6 cyl with an integral intake manifold. Yep, there was a bolt thru the manifold under the carb.
Bob

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1958 Olds. Had to remove the steel bumper to replace a tail light bulb

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We use to claim some of that design work was done on Friday night Happy Hours.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Had to remove entire front end to replace headlight on wifeโ€™s BMW Z4
Same with my 2000 Volvo.
Found a loose turn signal bulb inside the headlamp.
After three attempts to get it I gave it up.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Had an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that one had to remove the passenger side front suspension to get to the alternator (FWD). I think it was our VW Passat wagon that had the thermostat in behind the water pump.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Had an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that one had to remove the passenger side front suspension to get to the alternator (FWD). I think it was our VW Passat wagon that had the thermostat in behind the water pump.
Another fun task (two tasks) I had to do recently on the Z4: First, to replace the water pump requires that you unbolt the engine from the motor mounts and, with large block of wood on the left side of the oil pan, jack up the left side of the engine several inches. This is necessary because they put a steel cross member (impossible to remove without removing the entire front clip) directly in front of the water pump. So, you must jack up the engine several inches to allow the pump to be withdrawn past that cross member. Then, I had to replace two simple plastic pipes that ran to/from the heater core because they both were leaking. Sounds easy enough except that you have to first remove the intake manifold to gain access to those pipes and getting that manifold off is no trivial task!

I got a quote from the dealer to do all the stuff I ended up doing myself (water pump, heater pipes, all new hoses, thermostat, new coolant reservoir, etc) and it was well north of $3000! I did it all for about $300 in parts and lots of cussing.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Replaced the heater core on our '78 Ford Fairmont wagon.
The manual said to remove the glove box,& then remove the
heater core.They neglected to say that was WITHOUT A/C.
You had to remove everything up to the firewall.It was an
eight hour flat rate job.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My 1989 F250 (even with A/C) was probably the easiest heater core replace I ever did - took the glovebox off (no tools needed just clips in), undid 6 hex head screws in the plastic heater core box and it fell out onto the floor. Didn't even have to drain the system because the inlet/outlet hoses are higher on the firewall than anything else. Took longer to drive to the parts store and buy one than the actual remove/replace.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag