• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Seat Belts Installed This Weekend

Thanks Duane. Might you have a picture of the QR bracket currently installed in the car?
And how did you fit the carpet over the transmission tunnel bracket?

Patrick

Thanks Duane. Might you have a picture of the QR bracket currently installed in the car?
And how did you fit the carpet over the transmission tunnel bracket?

Patrick

Patrick,

Unfortunately I have not installed my QR bracket yet, so no picture. I'm really hoping Olin will post pictures of his original ones since I've never seen an install of the original BMC Kit!!

I'm planning on utilizing the information from the instruction manual contained on pages 5 and 6 (Below) as my guide, removing the interior pieces and cutting the holes in the interior trim as recommended in the manual.

https://rhynard.org/images/AH/seat_belt_asj.pdf

I believe that reinforcement plate is designed to be installed from the backside. The instructions suggest cutting a 1.5" hole in the tunnel as the first step. It would probably be a little stronger that way.

Csarneson,

I installed it as the original diagram (Below) detailed, but installed the bolts in the opposite direction since it's much easier to get a small wrench to hold in the tight space than a Phillips. I'm guessing they opted for the front face installation so the reinforcing plate and the seat belt bolt would not be adjacent to the propeller shaft!! I agree it would be stronger the other way, but you would also have difficulty connecting the belt with the insulation and carpet. I'm hoping Olin will post pictures of his installation.

Thanks,
Duane

Capture.jpg

Csarneson,

I installed it as the original diagram (Below) detailed, but installed the bolts in the opposite direction since it's much easier to get a small wrench to hold in the tight space than a Phillips. I'm guessing they opted for the front face installation so the reinforcing plate and the seat belt bolt would not be adjacent to the propeller shaft!! I agree it would be stronger the other way, but you would also have difficulty connecting the belt with the insulation and carpet. I'm hoping Olin will post pictures of his installation.

Thanks,
Duane

Duane,

Take a look at the written installation instructions you posted. They say to install the reinforcing plate from inside the tunnel. Bet the installation wold be a PITA that way, though but it would give quite a bit more strength in case of an accident as right now you're depending on six small bolts in shear to hold your body from the windshield.

Here's an example of how I think they are supposed to be installed. It's not my photo. Just found it on the web. Looks like they plug welded it from the backside instead of using screws for a cleaner install. I don't think you have to worry about space for the driveshaft. You have lots of space side-to-side in there.

seamsealer3.jpg

Here's an example of how I think they are supposed to be installed. It's not my photo. Just found it on the web. Looks like they plug welded it from the backside instead of using screws for a cleaner install. I don't think you have to worry about space for the driveshaft. You have lots of space side-to-side in there.

View attachment 40916

My BJ7 came with the mount installed by the factory and looks as the one in your picture. The mount Duane shows is from the BMC kit made for cars before the mounting became standard. There's some more on the BMC kits here: https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/accessories/at116.htm

View attachment 40916

You (and Rick) are correct, the instructions very clearly state that the plate is installed this way.

Thanks Guys!
Duane

You (and Rick) are correct, the instructions very clearly state that the plate is installed this way.

Thanks Guys!
Duane

The only fly in the ointment is the installation requires the presence of, gulp, the dreaded "Assistant" to secure the phillips screws while you attach the nuts inside the driveshaft tunnel.

Duane,

I was happy to check back tonight and see all the discussion. I will post pictures tomorrow, I had a problem with the right eye and I am trying to take it easy for a while. I have a picture of the kit before I installed them that I will post also.

The only fly in the ointment is the installation requires the presence of, gulp, the dreaded "Assistant" to secure the phillips screws while you attach the nuts inside the driveshaft tunnel.

Even worse, the directions require installing the phillips screws from inside the tunnel with the nuts and washers on the inside of the interior!

View attachment 40916

My 10/61 tri-carb also came with this setup. If you notice the holes for the mounting bracket on the floor, you can see it is slightly raised about a 1/16" due to the added reinforcement.

Here are the close-up pictures of my setup.

Floor Bracket:

IMG_5965.jpg

Buckle Receiver:

IMG_5966.jpg

Side view of Buckle Opening:

IMG_5967.jpg

Adjuster and Buckle (note that the adjuster has a plastic coating):

IMG_5968.jpg

Tunnel attachment (Special spacer is used here):

IMG_5969.jpg

Shoulder Strap Attachment (There is a slight bend in this piece so there is room for the belt to connect to the bracket):

IMG_5970.jpg

Olin,

Thanks for all the pictures they are great! I appreciate you taking the time to post them.

Even worse, the directions require installing the phillips screws from inside the tunnel with the nuts and washers on the inside of the interior!

Rick,

Not too bad on the two-seaters through the battery hatch! I did not even need the dreaded assistant. :tennis:

Thanks for everyone's help!

Duane

a6.jpg
a4.jpg

Pictures of original '61 Tri-carb Mounting Points (My next project once I finish my BN6):

a3.jpg
Passenger Compartment Tunnel with Rubber Insert

a7.jpg
Inside Tunnel From Under Car

a2.jpg
Interior

a1.jpg
Rear Wheel Well

a5.jpg
Passenger Floor

Last edited:
Duane,

Great set of pics, especially the original mounting points in the tri-carb. If you have a photo of the inside of the tunnel mount, that would be helpful. The pictures in the thread above show the mounting of the "kit" with the six screws & nuts, where-as the original mount was welded from behind. In this set-up was the plate not extended to the chassis rail to give a bit more robustness in the design.

Andy

Duane,

Great set of pics, especially the original mounting points in the tri-carb. If you have a photo of the inside of the tunnel mount, that would be helpful. The pictures in the thread above show the mounting of the "kit" with the six screws & nuts, where-as the original mount was welded from behind. In this set-up was the plate not extended to the chassis rail to give a bit more robustness in the design.

Andy
Andy,

It does not extend to the chassis rail on my car. I would think that the force it would take to rip it out of the tunnel as it is, would be so great that you would probably not be able to survive without a broken shoulder and back.

Duane - In picture a6 above, is the inner nut welded to the circular piece?
The inner nut is not welded to the reinforcement plate. That is unfortunate, because you will have to go underneath the car to remove the bolt anytime you want to remove the carpeting in that area.