• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Replace wiring harness in steering column

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am trying to get the steering hub off so I can replace the wiring harness. I would just assume to keep the statur tube in place. I have removed the three set screws off the hub and the gland screw at the bottom, but can't figure out how to get the hub off the statur tube. I remember doing my TR-3 the hub, with the sleeve, Came right off of the top of the tube? I don't want to force it.
I have a wire connected to the old wires and wrapped with a shrink tube and would like to put them out from the top. I don't see anything in my manuals on how to get the hub off the S. tube?

Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You have removed the only things holding the head onto the top of the column --if you totally removed the grub screws. If anything is holding the head down it is the wiring or just friction on the portion of the head that fits into the stator tube. Just try harder.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Geez - it's been 30+ years since I did this... but does the stator tube have to come out with the control head attached?

I recall a friend's Magnette has a 2-piece stator tube because there isn't room to pull the 1 piece version out in its entirely.

When you go pull the wires through the stator you may find it necessary to stagger the bullets so they are not alongside one another - or better yet, remove the bullets altogether.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You have removed the only things holding the head onto the top of the column --if you totally removed the grub screws. If anything is holding the head down it is the wiring or just friction on the portion of the head that fits into the stator tube. Just try harder.
I removed the three screws holding the hub together. Need a new one as the insides were in pieces. I had bought a new harness at British Wiring, now i need the control head assy. I bought the harness as Moss didn't have the hub, with the harness. Now i got to try and find just the hub? Any suggestions?

Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I removed the three screws holding the hub together. Need a new one as the insides were in pieces. I had bought a new harness at British Wiring, now i need the control head assy. I bought the harness as Moss didn't have the hub, with the harness. Now i got to try and find just the hub? Any suggestions?

Dick
Try THE ROADSTER FACTORY You can get the entire set up and return the pieces back to other vendors.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Are we talking about the trafficator? If it was in pieces, then I assume you found the horn problem?

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have installed the new hub along with the wire harness. My problem now is nothing is happening, after I make a wire connection. I hooked up the brown ground wire, from the hub, to the connecting brown/black wires to the horns. NO BEEP BEEP! I now have a green/white, a light green/red wire and a dark green/red wire left. Where do they go? I do have a spare green/white wire on the left side. It did nothing when I hooked it up to the hub green/white wire?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have installed the new hub along with the wire harness. My problem now is nothing is happening, after I make a wire connection. I hooked up the brown ground wire, from the hub, to the connecting brown/black wires to the horns. NO BEEP BEEP! I now have a green/white, a light green/red wire and a dark green/red wire left. Where do they go? I do have a spare green/white wire on the left side. It did nothing when I hooked it up to the hub green/white wire?
You really need to consult a wiring diagram. In most of these cases you need to have two wires that are found in a 4 way plug that you plug the one (third)
same color wire into. That gives you one in and two out. Green /white is for the right side turn signals and green/red is for the left side. Yes brown/black is for the horns . The fourth wire is green/brown that goes to the flasher unit.
There are several online diagrams if you don't have a maintenance manual.
Charley

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dick here is a picture of my car driver side. hope it helps
steve

Attachments

• DSCN3640.JPG
    DSCN3640.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 120
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, I have most of the wires according to your pic. Question: I know i have the Brown/Black wires for the horn hooked up correctly but, the horn will not honk? I have the green/purple wires connected too. I'm still working on the Green/White wires and the green/Red ones.

I have the right side Green/white three wires connected and seem to have an extra green/Red wire on the left side. Now if I have one side hooked up right, along with the green/purple flasher wires, shouldn't something work? I turned the key on but can't get the horn to honk or a light to blink? Do the all have to be set up perfectly for everything to work?
Do all the steering column wires make their connections on the drivers side? Are there any 3 way connections on the passengers side?

Last edited:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick there are extra wires in a tr3a harness from the factory for side blinkers. Those wires are not hooked up. No 3 ways are needed. Power comes in from green wire at flasher from fuse box to flasher itself. Maybe replace flasher. Remember the 2 same colored wires are hook ups for front and back lights of the same circuit and loop over to each side. Moreover; it might be best to say drive side and passenger side rather than left and right

Attachments

• DSCN3641.JPG
    DSCN3641.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3642.JPG
    DSCN3642.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3643.JPG
    DSCN3643.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3644.JPG
    DSCN3644.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 102

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The signals should work with the trafficator hanging loose...but remember the horn needs a ground, so the trafficator must be grounded to the column to operate the horns.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dick there are extra wires in a tr3a harness from the factory for side blinkers. Those wires are not hooked up. No 3 ways are needed. Power comes in from green wire at flasher from fuse box to flasher itself. Maybe replace flasher. Remember the 2 same colored wires are hook ups for front and back lights of the same circuit and loop over to each side. Moreover; it might be best to say drive side and passenger side rather than left and right
Steve, I actually got the horns to work today. The fuse was not blown but only 4v were going through it. I swapped fuses and the horns now work. Before I attack the directional light wires, I need to replace the fuses. With no fuse in the far side, the ignition light will not even come on. I tried to find the fuse rating in the manual, no luck. Do you know what fuses I should buy?

Thanks, Dick

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, I am almost there. Horns work and left blinkers, Green/Red, work. Still working on the right side. I have got a meter reading on all three green/White wires on the drivers side, but no blink? Should there be a extra wire coming out of the right Green/White wires to the right parking light? I thought all blinker connections were on the drivers side?

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
There is indeed an “extra” GN (green) wire on the right side. You can see it in the schematic. It’s there for the RHD cars ISTR. If you have an extra GW (Green with White tracer) wire, that’s probably the place to start looking for the error. (I say that as an EE who made a couple mistakes in re-wiring!)
jim

Last edited:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
On the drive side there would be 3 green and white wires 2 from the main harness and 1 from the sub- harness of the blinkers. Only one green and white on the passenger because it is the green and white wirer extension from driver side that came around. The blinkers need to get to the passenger side and that is why there are 2 green and white on the driver side. Look in the trunk and see what color you have for each side that should give an understanding how the front and back wires work together for the lights in one harness