• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Replace wiring harness in steering column

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On the drive side there would be 3 green and white wires 2 from the main harness and 1 from the sub- harness of the blinkers. Only one green and white on the passenger because it is the green and white wirer extension from driver side that came around. The blinkers need to get to the passenger side and that is why there are 2 green and white on the driver side. Look in the trunk and see what color you have for each side that should give an understanding how the front and back wires work together for the lights in one harness
I checked both Green/White wires on the drivers side. I got reading at the front and rear directional lights for both. I connected them to a 4 way connector with the green/white wire coming out of the steering column. No blink? Another problem, as if I did not have enough. The left blinker works front and rear. When I turn on the parking lights, no blinking on the working side?? Dick

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I had a problem with accidentally swapping the parking light and the turning light leads, at the socket. I think I had to swap them at the socket, but that was my problem. May be yours?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That is correct the 3 green and white go together, so do the 3 red and green go together. There is a brown and green wirer coming out of the sub-turn harness and a green and brown in the main harness where are they hooked up? The green and brown and green and red wires can be confusing because the colors are close---- Like Jim suggested the front bulbs have 2 connections one turn one running light. The turn side of the bulb should be the brighter bulb.

Do you both parking lights working when you turn on the parking lights? Get those working first.

steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is correct the 3 green and white go together, so do the 3 red and green go together. There is a brown and green wirer coming out of the sub-turn harness and a green and brown in the main harness where are they hooked up? The green and brown and green and red wires can be confusing because the colors are close---- Like Jim suggested the front bulbs have 2 connections one turn one running light. The turn side of the bulb should be the brighter bulb.

Do you both parking lights working when you turn on the parking lights? Get those working first.

steve
Yes Steve, they both work but, per your earlier suggestion, I think I have the wires crossed because they are both very bright on the park setting.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes Steve, they both work but, per your earlier suggestion, I think I have the wires crossed because they are both very bright on the park setting.
Steve, you are right as I had the wires wrong on all 4 lights. Now the parking lites are the dimmer and the left blinker works with the parking lites on. Now all I have to do is find out why the right blinker doesn't work? I get a reading on all three Green/White wires at the 4 way connector. If you will send me your email address .I will take some pic's of my wires. I have tried many times to post on the Forum, worked one time. I usually get the to large to picture???

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The passenger side is where there are 2 extra wires you will not need ---look close at the colors. The green wirer with red stripe you need to hook up. The 2 brown and green are extra wires do not hook up. The brown is a reddish brown so it looks red, so sort those out first. teve53@gmail.comis my email.

Look at the picture I posted by itself with the fuel line in the picture that is the passenger side on this tread of page 1. It is an easier side to do; you got this coming together

steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The passenger side is where there are 2 extra wires you will not need ---look close at the colors. The green wirer with red stripe you need to hook up. The 2 brown and green are extra wires do not hook up. The brown is a reddish brown so it looks red, so sort those out first. teve53@gmail.comis my email.

Look at the picture I posted by itself with the fuel line in the picture that is the passenger side on this tread of page 1. It is an easier side to do; you got this coming together

steve
Steve, I found the extra Green with the red stripe on the psgr side. That is the only orphan wire left. The brown/Gn brown/blk went to the horns, they work. Where do I hook this orphan wire to? Dick

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
It is left alone. Put a rubber bullet connector on it to insulate it from ground.
also, apologize for an earlier entry.. GR is Green with Red tracer, not Green. You figured it out,though!

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is left alone. Put a rubber bullet connector on it to insulate it from ground.
also, apologize for an earlier entry.. GR is Green with Red tracer, not Green. You figured it out,though!
I have the Gn/Red two wires hooked up with the Gn/Red from the steering column; just like I did with the Gn/Wht ones. No right blinker? I have two Gn/Red spares left over, one on each side. I have tried both of these with the Gn/Red combo for the Rt side, still no Blink!!!

Dick

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
on my column coming from the trafficator the GR and the GN look very similar, so it took me a couple of tries to get it right!

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
on my column coming from the trafficator the GR and the GN look very similar, so it took me a couple of tries to get it right!

The harness from my hub is new. I noticed that the hub wire, I thought was Gn/Bn I attached to the flasher.Maybe I have those two hub wires switched? Will try to swap and see if the Rt blinkers come on? Dick

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The harness from my hub is new. I noticed that the hub wire, I thought was Gn/Bn I attached to the flasher.Maybe I have those two hub wires switched? Will try to swap and see if the Rt blinkers come on? Dick
The G/N is the wire that runs to the flasher that I hooked up to the G/N from the hub. I tried to swap those two wires, then I lost the left blinker, that was working? The GR wire from the hub works the left blinker. I hooked it up to the two GR wires to get the left to work. I have two spare GW wires I hooked up to the hub GW wire, no blinkey? Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like you are on the driver side working. Hook the green and white wires together with the green and white from the trafficker making 3 green and white wires together. Now hook the blinker wirer for the driver side into those 3 green and white wires. There should be 4 wires total, 3 green and white and wires together and one from the front light blinker driver side.

steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sounds like you are on the driver side working. Hook the green and white wires together with the green and white from the trafficker making 3 green and white wires together. Now hook the blinker wirer for the driver side into those 3 green and white wires. There should be 4 wires total, 3 green and white and wires together and one from the front light blinker driver side.

steve
O.K. Steve,

I currently have the two G/W wires, drivers side, hooked into a 4 way connector along with the G/W wire from the hub. Now I have to find that elusive front light blinker wire? Is it G/W too? Where is it coming from?Am I missing a G/W wire? The G/R wires are all hooked up and run the psgr side blinker fine. Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The front blinker comes from the front end of the apron; it is the bright light of the front light bulb on the car. No they are not green and white. It depends on how the blubs have been coded; it could be any color. It could even be a tan color wirer with a stripe of color from the factory. Have you grounded both light bulb housings?

steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The front blinker comes from the front end of the apron; it is the bright light of the front light bulb on the car. No they are not green and white. It depends on how the blubs have been coded; it could be any color. It could even be a tan color wirer with a stripe of color from the factory. Have you grounded both light bulb housings?

steve
I swapped the leads going to the parking lites as I had the blinker on the dim lead. The parking lights are now the dim ones and the left blinker, that works, is the bright filament. The two leads that go to the right parking light are red, and Gn/W. Each parking harness has a ground wire that plugs in the frame. The GN/W wire continues to the driver side . I have it in a 4 way connector which includes the Gn/W hub wire and another Gn/W wire that was also on the drivers side. When you say Bright light of the front light bulb on the car, you are referring to the parking lites?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Did you take the front apron light fixture housings out of the apron and look at the bulb sockets? There should be 3 wires coming out of each front socket 2 for bulbs and one for ground? And those sockets have a small piece inside the fixture to separate the 2 bulbs from each other.

The solid red wirer is usually the running light from the light switch on the dash that goes into the front head light system. That way when you twist the head light switch you get the running lights on with the head lights. Or when you pull the head light switch half way you get running lights only.

plus if you click on the pictures i posted that with enlarge the photo

steve